Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canada+Haskins...Is this the plan?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Thanks.

Sometimes I forget that it's OK for reporters to just make **** up. Right there in the AP handbook (I assume):

"If it's a slow news day and you need to hit a deadline (or maybe you're just being lazy). Just make something up! Be sure to credit some vague source who must remain anonymous. Everyone knows that journalistic integrity depends on not giving up anonymous sources. Everyone would lose faith in the profession as a whole if you did that...Now back to how to totally fabricate stories."
    hahaaa, good stuff NB.

They now call it "journalistic deception"... this from a recent article:

Tacit rules govern what is acceptable and unacceptable deception based on assessments of the target of deception (newsmakers vs. news audiences), the perceived character of the person deceived (good vs. bad), and the nature of the act (omission vs. commission).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    hahaaa, good stuff NB.

The best one for the Steelers recently.

"Colbert is going to sign with the Lions. Contract is already offered"

"Ya... That's a lie and would be a violation of league rules."

"You got me. I just made that up."

I just wish that **** like this was confined to sports media.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    hahaaa, good stuff NB.

The basic rule of thumb is this.

Decide ahead of time what you want to say. Then determine your level of support or outrage based on this. Even if you face the exact same situation in a case where you want to shape a different narrative, don't worry, just go ahead without acknowledging the hypocrisy.

This method is best used by the political media, and before someone accuses me of partisanship....it is used by ALL political media.

See what I did there? Covered my ass.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The basic rule of thumb is this.

Decide ahead of time what you want to say. Then determine your level of support or outrage based on this. Even if you face the exact same situation in a case where you want to shape a different narrative, don't worry, just go ahead without acknowledging the hypocrisy.

This method is best used by the political media, and before someone accuses me of partisanship....it is used by ALL political media.

See what I did there? Covered my ass.
    Nothing like leveraging confirmation bias.

It's a hell of a drug.