Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sing haskins

Legend

User Info Menu

Source: Panthers offered Dwayne Haskins a contract. He chose the Steelers instead

BY ALAINA GETZENBERG
    JANUARY 21, 2021

Quarterback Dwayne Haskins visited with the Carolina Panthers first, but he has found a new home elsewhere. He has signed a one-year reserve/future contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a visit Thursday.

The Panthers previously had him in to meet with the team Jan. 11 and offered the quarterback a contract after the meeting,`per a source with direct knowledge of the situation. That meeting took place prior to the team hiring new general manager Scott Fitterer.

However, Haskins opted to go to Pittsburgh instead, and join a quarterback room that, as of now, includes Ben Roethlisberger. The future at quarterback for the Panthers remains unknown with the most established veteran, Teddy Bridgewater, not guaranteed the starting job in 2021.

Haskins, the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, was waived by Washington on Dec. 28, a day after the teamís 20-13 loss to the Panthers. He was benched in the fourth quarter of that game for former Carolina quarterback Taylor Heinicke.

While he went unclaimed on waivers, the Panthers were among several teams to express interest in the quarterback days after Washington had moved on from him.

In 16 games played over the past two years, Haskins completed 60.1% of his passes for 2,804 yards, 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He is 3-10 as a starter.

With Carolina holding the eighth overall pick, they will be out of contention for the top quarterbacks in this yearís draft unless they trade up. Matt Rhule and the Panthersí staff will be coaching in this yearís Senior Bowl, which will give them additional opportunity to take a look at some of the quarterbacks that will be available later in the draft.

Team owner David Tepper said last month that quarterback is a position that will be evaluated this offseason.

ďI think when you get to quarterbacks and NFL in general, you always want to try to figure out: Do you have the best thatís in the position ... right now?Ē Tepper said. ďAnd thatís constant evaluation and re-evaluation of that. And thatís what weíll constantly go through.Ē

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...#storylink=cpy
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    someone refresh my memory. what was the narrative on Bettis when the Rams tossed him?

Who knows if Haskins will work out? But I don't put a lot of stock in 'narratives'. He'll get a fair shot in the best run organization in the NFL. A long-term HC who isn't worried about his job, an Owner who is player friendly and a fan base.......well, ignore the fan base. He will either produce or he won't - but there won't be any excuses after this. I'm pulling for the kid. Would love to find our next 10 year QB since it appears Mason isn't the guy.
    was it the beej in a parking lot accusation or was he with pittsburgh when that happened

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't care about the party / mask thing at all.

I am worried that WFT used it to get out of their contract with him.

They don't do that if they think the guy has a chance to be anything.

Cutting him wasn't about covid. That was just a way to get out of they guaranteed money. And it wasn't even a lot of money.

They clearly think he's not an NFL player. Or at least not a starter.

But all he has to be is a QB3 on the Steelers for now.
    I agree. No NFL team would cut a potential franchise QB. No HC would be that dumb considering how hard it is to find them. He could turn out to be another Lynch and the Steelers could cut him without a concern.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't care about the party / mask thing at all.

I am worried that WFT used it to get out of their contract with him.

They don't do that if they think the guy has a chance to be anything.

Cutting him wasn't about covid. That was just a way to get out of they guaranteed money. And it wasn't even a lot of money.

They clearly think he's not an NFL player. Or at least not a starter.

But all he has to be is a QB3 on the Steelers for now.
    I believe he was cut because Rivera knew Haskinís had Snyder in his back pocket.

Warren Sapp tweeted that Haskinís went to high school with Snyderís kids. Dam Snyder sat in one meeting at the combine: Haskinís.

Its similar to the RG3 situation. Snyder pushed for him and his teammates despised RG3 because he could go to Snyder and get whatever he wanted.

This is why I believe Haskinís can turn into something. He no longer has an owner giving him special treatment and has to work his way up.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree. No NFL team would cut a potential franchise QB. No HC would be that dumb considering how hard it is to find them. He could turn out to be another Lynch and the Steelers could cut him without a concern.
    Washington’s soap opera worked out well for us.

Rivera isn’t dumb, its actually a smart move by him to cut Haskin’s. He only has a few years to keep his job and Haskin’s was Snyder’s QB. We all know the history of Snyder and his hand picked QB’s.

Rivera couldn’t control the locker room if players see him being forced to play a QB he doesn’t feel is ready to be a franchise QB right now.

so yes, I definitely believe a HC could be “dumb” enough to cut a QB with franchise potential if they believe it will be for the good of the team.

While its not the same position, we just watched O’Brien trade the best WR in football because he didn’t like him.

So if 3 years from now Haskin’s is our franchise QB and Washington is still searching for a QB best believe Rivera will hear it all day from Snyder.

That’s my hope with this situation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex K over at the Depot did some film work on Haskins NFL games and this is what he had to say:

Alex K ē 6 hours ago
    It's like he doesn't even try to read the defense. Just sends it to the primary option no matter the coverage. He doesn't seem to move around the pocket and try to find space to make a good throw either. Instead he just fires off from awkward angles and the ball goes wherever.

His flaws might be too much to fix at the pro level.
    Sounds like Haskins has a long road ahead of him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Alex K over at the Depot did some film work on Haskins NFL games and this is what he had to say:

Sounds like Haskins has a long road ahead of him.
    We got a top notch qb coach that will make him a super star. No worries.
    Besides, he’s cheap.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Besides, he’s cheap.
    yes, he’s on the cheap. We will see if it works or not.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah but Haskins still threw 50 touchdown passes in a 14 game college season. Surely he can ride that little blip on his resume for another 2 or 3 seasons in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Besides, he’s cheap.
    I get it was a cheap deal. But it's also a one year deal and it looks to me like Haskins is gonna need more than one year to fix what ails him.