Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Reports: Former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins To Visit Steelers

  1. #41
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Alex Smith hopeful Dwayne Haskins can eliminate distractions

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 21, 2021

    USA TODAY Sports

    If Dwayne Haskins is going to become a successful NFL quarterback, Alex Smith says he needs to eliminate the distractions keeping him from reaching his potential on the field.

    In an interview with Charles Robinson and Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports, Smith said his former Washington teammate is “crazy talented” but needed to cut out the stuff outside the game that is limiting his potential within it.

    “The first thing I hope with Dwayne — and I’ve told him this — is you don’t have a chance until you’ve eliminated a lot of the distractions going on in your life,” Smith said, via Ethan Cadeaux of NBC Sports Washington. “It’s hard as a young player, as a young draft pick, certainly as a quarterback thrust with a lot of weight and expectations.”

    Haskins flamed out with Washington prior to the end of his second season with the team. A first-round pick in 2019, Haskins drew criticism for his preparation and twice violated procedures related to COVID-19 this season. The second violation, which came with Haskins throwing a party for his girlfriend after a loss to the Seattle Seahawks when he’d made his first start in over two months, was ultimately the final straw for his time in Washington.

    Haskins signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday.

    Smith hopes that Haskins can do what he needs to in order to correctly focus on the game and the obligations of the quarterback position so that he can find a way to salvage his career.

    “You’ve got a lot of voices telling you different things. In the end, this all comes down to playing well on the football field,” Smith said.

    “You have to be able to eliminate all that other stuff, because none of that matters if you can’t go out there and play at a high level,” he continued. “You’ll never be able to develop into the player, into your potential if you don’t eliminate all that stuff as well. So my hope for Dwayne is to do that.”

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-distractions/
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

  2. #42
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Alex Smith hopeful Dwayne Haskins can eliminate distractions

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 21, 2021

    USA TODAY Sports

    If Dwayne Haskins is going to become a successful NFL quarterback, Alex Smith says he needs to eliminate the distractions keeping him from reaching his potential on the field.

    In an interview with Charles Robinson and Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports, Smith said his former Washington teammate is “crazy talented” but needed to cut out the stuff outside the game that is limiting his potential within it.

    “The first thing I hope with Dwayne — and I’ve told him this — is you don’t have a chance until you’ve eliminated a lot of the distractions going on in your life,” Smith said, via Ethan Cadeaux of NBC Sports Washington. “It’s hard as a young player, as a young draft pick, certainly as a quarterback thrust with a lot of weight and expectations.”

    Haskins flamed out with Washington prior to the end of his second season with the team. A first-round pick in 2019, Haskins drew criticism for his preparation and twice violated procedures related to COVID-19 this season. The second violation, which came with Haskins throwing a party for his girlfriend after a loss to the Seattle Seahawks when he’d made his first start in over two months, was ultimately the final straw for his time in Washington.

    Haskins signed a one-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday.

    Smith hopes that Haskins can do what he needs to in order to correctly focus on the game and the obligations of the quarterback position so that he can find a way to salvage his career.

    “You’ve got a lot of voices telling you different things. In the end, this all comes down to playing well on the football field,” Smith said.

    “You have to be able to eliminate all that other stuff, because none of that matters if you can’t go out there and play at a high level,” he continued. “You’ll never be able to develop into the player, into your potential if you don’t eliminate all that stuff as well. So my hope for Dwayne is to do that.”

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-distractions/
    Pretty much shoots down the narrative that the WFT or coaches brought him down. Let's see if Tomlin and Co. can coach him up. He needs a strong role model.

  3. #43
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Pretty much shoots down the narrative that the WFT or coaches brought him down. Let's see if Tomlin and Co. can coach him up. He needs a strong role model.
    Ya. The more I read the more I don't think he'll end up working out.

    But you never know and it's a low (no?) risk signing.

  4. #44
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

  5. #45
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

  6. #46
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I like this signing. Hopefully he gets this is a 1yr prove you can be smart enough to improve and learn. Hopefully he does and resigns cheap next season. Continues to improve as Mason has. Haskins just needs to do it on and off the field it sounds like.
    Was the WR Coach there with Haskins?

  7. #47
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Ya. The more I read the more I don't think he'll end up working out.

    But you never know and it's a low (no?) risk signing.
    Tomlin was able to manage AB for a long time. AB was a major head case before joining the Steelers.

    One of Tomlin's strengths is his ability to deal with and manage players. Haskin's ability to reach his potential as an NFL QB is the biggest question mark. The mental side of the game is probably where most talented collegiate/NFL QB's don't live up to expectations. As a result, they can't produce on the field.

    Time will tell if the Steelers got a deal. Sometimes players need a good role model. I believe Tomlin can provide that. The rest is up to the individual to fulfill their potential.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 01-23-2021 at 08:37 PM.

  8. #48
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Looking at those highlights the WFT might regret giving up on him to quickly.

  9. #49
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Looking at those highlights the WFT might regret giving up on him to quickly.
    Very nice highlight pack. I don't think the knock is that he can't do it, it is that he doesn't do it consistently enough. Funny though, considering the career of this season's likely MVP, at this point of his career he was still going to sit one more season before becoming the starter. He had thrown 31 career passes. If the Steelers can put him in a more stable environment, and if they can coach up his psyche, this could pay off.

  10. #50
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Key word, almost beat Cleveland and lost to them last year with 4 picks. And lost his job
    he played them TIGHTER than BEN did..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •