Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I prefer a mock draft after the combine / campus workouts and the senior bowl week, which I put a lot of stock in. For now, here is my mock draft.

1. QB Mac Jones - Amazing accuracy, release, hits his guys in stride. The arm or lack of one is overblown. Good pocket mobility. Very smart.
    2. C Josh Meyers - A solid center prospect, big and strong. Pouncey is done for and likely retired.
    3. RB Javonte Williams - Impressive all around ability, with speed. Conner should not be starting for us. Watch his highlight clips, there is a lot to like
    4a. OT Trey Smith - We need tackles. Only Chucks is signed.
    4b. OT Cole Van Lanen - We need tackles
    6a. OG Tommy Kraemer - Faneca didn't play well last year and I was not impressed with Dotson Run blocking
    6b. CB Jack Jones - This smallish CB makes lots of plays. Great for the slot, and Hilton should be a semi hot free agent meaning he's likely leaving.
    7a. DL/NT Lorenzo Neal - Our lack of run defense would really be exposited if teams ran the ball more often.
    7b. S Donavan Stiner. Depth is a need here, and Edmunds a free agent.
    Don't know about players but hitting on a QB would be awesome. Not my preference, but if they feel like whoever is there has a legit shot, maybe they have to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Don't know about players but hitting on a QB would be awesome. Not my preference, but if they feel like whoever is there has a legit shot, maybe they have to.
    In Colbert we trust, but not when it comes to drafting QBs and DBs unfortunately.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Tedarrell Slaton DT Florida
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Erroll Thompson ILB Miss St
    7a. Malcolm Koonce OLB Buffalo
    7b. James Wiggins S Cincinnati

Legend

User Info Menu

sorry if this has already been posted, having trouble keeping up with all these mocks:

2021 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers, Panthers trade up for QBs as five go off the board in first 10 picks
    The first four picks are quarterbacks as Mac Jones makes his way up draft boards
    Ryan Wilson

By Ryan Wilson
    Jan 19, 2021 at 8:29 am ET

This is Mock Draft Version 20, if you're keeping track, but it's the first one to include trades. So let's get crazy. The first four picks are all quarterbacks, the Panthers trade up from No. 8 to No. 3 to grab Justin Fields, and the Falcons land Mac Jones a selection later.

Meanwhile, the Steelers, who traded up to the 10th spot in 2019 for linebacker Devin Bush, trade up to No. 10 again, this time for quarterback Trey Lance, who can sit for a year behind Ben Roethlisberger before taking over the job in 2022.

In case you're wondering -- and we're guessing you are -- here are the mock draft trades for the teams involved:

- Panthers get No. 3 pick, Dolphins get picks 8, 39, 104.
    - Steelers get No. 10 pick, Cowboys get picks 24, 55, and 2022 first rounder

PROJECTED TEAM
    Pittsburgh
    PROSPECT RNK
    12th
    POSITION RNK
    4th
    Two years ago, the Steelers traded up to No. 10 for Devin Bush. This time they're looking a franchise QB to replace Big Ben, who appears likely to return for '21. Lance is short on experience, but long on everything else NFL QBs are evolving into.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...irst-10-picks/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    In Colbert we trust, but not when it comes to drafting QBs and DBs unfortunately.
    DBs I agree with.

But think we've been drafting for backup QB for a while. Actually looking for a starter might be different.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    DBs I agree with.

But think we've been drafting for backup QB for a while. Actually looking for a starter might be different.
    Mason supposedly having a first round grade worries me.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Tedarrell Slaton DT Florida
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Erroll Thompson ILB Miss St
    7a. Malcolm Koonce OLB Buffalo
    7b. James Wiggins S Cincinnati

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wonder were Haskins was on the Steelers board?

Legend

User Info Menu

I put no stock in press conferences.

This seems like exactly the thing you'd say publicly to raise a guy's spirits after he slid down the draft.

Mason was drafted as a potential break glass in case Ben actually retires instead of just threatening move.

I think it was a mistake (and said it at the time). And that we should have been laser focused on putting the best team we could around Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I prefer a mock draft after the combine / campus workouts and the senior bowl week, which I put a lot of stock in. For now, here is my mock draft.

1. QB Mac Jones - Amazing accuracy, release, hits his guys in stride. The arm or lack of one is overblown. Good pocket mobility. Very smart.
    2. C Josh Meyers - A solid center prospect, big and strong. Pouncey is done for and likely retired.
    3. RB Javonte Williams - Impressive all around ability, with speed. Conner should not be starting for us. Watch his highlight clips, there is a lot to like
    4a. OT Trey Smith - We need tackles. Only Chucks is signed.
    4b. OT Cole Van Lanen - We need tackles
    6a. OG Tommy Kraemer - Faneca didn't play well last year and I was not impressed with Dotson Run blocking
    6b. CB Jack Jones - This smallish CB makes lots of plays. Great for the slot, and Hilton should be a semi hot free agent meaning he's likely leaving.
    7a. DL/NT Lorenzo Neal - Our lack of run defense would really be exposited if teams ran the ball more often.
    7b. S Donavan Stiner. Depth is a need here, and Edmunds a free agent.
    Javonte Williams and Trey Smith will be long gone by our 3rd and 4th. On the 6a Tommy Kraemer pick, Alan Faneca?? It's been way more than a year since he played well.
    2021 Draft Trade 1/24, 6/192, 6c, 7/210, 7/219 and 2022 4th to the Jets for 2/34, 3/66, 5/132

2/34-Teven Jenkins-OT-Ok St.
    2/55-Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/66-Joe Tryon-OLB-Wash.
    3/88-Rhamondre Stevenson-RB-OU
    4/119-Alaric Jackson-OL-Iowa
    4/C-Camryn Bynum-DB-Cal
    5/132-Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at Rudolph's numbers last season vs J Allen's first season, Rudolph beat him in almost every measurable category. He might not be that far off from a 1st rounder. He hasn't had much of a chance to at least show he can improve but the CLE game gives some hope.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Looking at Rudolph's numbers last season vs J Allen's first season, Rudolph beat him in almost every measurable category. He might not be that far off from a 1st rounder. He hasn't had much of a chance to at least show he can improve but the CLE game gives some hope.
    I agree. The fantasy Football crowd want too much too soon. I've said all along that MR could be a Derek Carr-like starter