Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Legend

User Info Menu

2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

2021 NFL draft: Updated Steelers draft needs

Curt Popejoy
    October 28, 2020

The 2020 NFL season is in the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers and things did not go according to plan. After an 11-game winning streak to start the season, Pittsburgh sputtered down the stretch going 1-4 before bowing out in the first round of the playoffs. This locked their first-round pick in at No. 24 overall.

The Steelers currently have $11 million in cap space but will start the 2021 offseason over $21 million in negative. This means when it comes to all those free agents, there just wonít be enough room to bring most of them back. This means the 2021 NFL draft is going to be the primary part of this teamís rebuild after the 2020 season.

Here are our updated 2021 NFL draft needs in order of importance.

1-Offensive tackle

Alejandro Villanueva, Zach Banner, Jerald Hawkins and Derwin Gray are all free agents next offseason. The Steelers need to get an elite left tackle prospect in this draft is possible.

2. Outside linebacker

The Steelers stand to lose Bud Dupree in free agency and even if Alex Highsmith or Ola Adeniyi are ready to step in, filling in behind them is a top priority.

3-Interior offensive line

Matt Feiler is set to hit free agency, Maurkice Pouncey will be 32 and David DeCastro will be 31 next season, Kevin Dotson has a bright future but if Feiler leaves the Steelers must focus on a guard/center in the middle rounds.

4-Running back

If the Steelers cannot re-sign James Conner, this need moves up significantly but if they do, adding an additional back is mostly just a luxury if a player drops to them.

5-Defensive line

The Steelers depth at defensive line beyond Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt is average and Tyson Alualu is going to be 34 years old never year. Donít be shocked if the Steelers draft defensive line help even sooner than this.

6-Cornerback

The loss of Mike Hilton is going to be huge for this defense. Iím not sold on Cameron Sutton or Justin Layne as the answer and this is even bigger if either have to sub in for Joe Haden or Steven Nelson.

7-Quarterback

Right now I am keeping quarterback low on the list of needs for the Steelers because of how well Ben Roethlisberger is playing. It is in no way an endorsement of Mason Rudolph and Joshua Dobbs.

8-Wide receiver

Iím honestly ok with the Steelers wide receiver depth chart if JuJu Smith-Schuster leaves in free agency and leaves Diontae Johnson, Chase Claypool and James Washington as the top three. Nevertheless, the Steelers are great at finding mid-round guys and thatís why we donít have the need higher.

9-Tight end

The Steelers are in good shape at tight end with Eric Ebron and Vance McDonald but beyond them, there is nothing to get excited about. As great as it would be to see the Steelers draft a top tight end next draft to groom we put need this low because it isnít a very Steelers thing to do.

10-Inside linebacker

11-Safety

Another luxury pick here, the Steelers donít really need a safety in the draft but if an athletic project guy drops to them, I can see them adding to the roster.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/li...l-draft-needs/
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Tedarrell Slaton DT Florida
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Erroll Thompson ILB Miss St
    7a. Malcolm Koonce OLB Buffalo
    7b. James Wiggins S Cincinnati

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this is reasonable.

I'd probably move TE up because I don't think we'll keep both (either?) Ebron and McDonald and our depth really sucks.

I'd also move OLB down. We do need depth, but I think Watt and Highsmith are our starters next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Projected To Receive 4th And 6th Compensatory Picks For 2021 Draft

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on January 19, 2021

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/st...or-2021-draft/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers Projected To Receive 4th And 6th Compensatory Picks For 2021 Draft

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on January 19, 2021

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/st...or-2021-draft/
    I think the draft should be interesting this year.

Less college football and less scouting might mean that we look back at this year as one where more guys fell and / or more guys were drafted too high.

Seems like a draft where having more picks / lottery tickets is a good thing (even more so than usual).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We don’t draft for need. Always bpa. So I’ve heard.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    We donít draft for need. Always bpa. So Iíve heard.
    well you heard wrong then.

Jarvis Jones and Troy Edwards were results of us reaching for a position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Does anyone say this?

I think we generally shore up immediate needs with cheap UFAs and then take the best player at one of a few positions.

Legend

User Info Menu

another troll post.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Does anyone say this?

I think we generally shore up immediate needs with cheap UFAs and then take the best player at one of a few positions.

It used to be said by a lot of posters here. For some reason they think the steelers draft different than every other team and that makes them feel better about the organization. A few still do.
    After being proven wrong, the last few years, now they say it’s ‘bpa at a position of need’.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Without a top notch QB you just can't win in this league. I hate to trade up but if there is a QB we love Smith or Lance or whoever it has to be considered. It shouldn't break the bank to go from 24 to say 12. The ride is over for 7 and the sooner the organization makes the decision to move on the better.
    MR imho is not the answer. Play Dobbs n try to recover a draft pick for MR even a mid rounder. When the rook is ready he's ready even if it's a year.