Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pouncey really gone...should be

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Pouncey really gone...should be

As I read multiple threads, it is unclear that Pouncey is really hanging it up. He needs to. I guess maybe just waiting for official announcement

For those of you who go back to the Trib days may recall that when we drafted Pouncey I told everyone don't expect a guy who is a power blocker. His game was always about athleticism and finesse and that is what goes first with age. Its gone as we know from seeing the middle of our OL driven into the backfield game after game this year.

Hopefully we can get a Center who can command the point of attack and still get to the second level, but Pouncey is not the answer

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As I read multiple threads, it is unclear that Pouncey is really hanging it up. He needs to. I guess maybe just waiting for official announcement

For those of you who go back to the Trib days may recall that when we drafted Pouncey I told everyone don't expect a guy who is a power blocker. His game was always about athleticism and finesse and that is what goes first with age. Its gone as we know from seeing the middle of our OL driven into the backfield game after game this year.

Hopefully we can get a Center who can command the point of attack and still get to the second level, but Pouncey is not the answer

sorry I guess i like boobies..

On sportec they already have him listed as dead money....

No official report but the writing is on the wall...

time to move on...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who has mentioned anything about being a power blocker?
    EVERYBODY knew that pouncey was a very athletic center and not a mauler.
    Besides, 10 seasons in, a guy is going to lose his athleticism AND his power.
    Not much of a prediction.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He's been a great center, and outside of his support of Hernandez - I think he's been a great teammate. He has excelled for a long time, but age always wins out. I can think of a lot of great pouncey moments - but one of my favorites is last year after Mason got bashed in the head, watching Pouncey go to town on Garrett. He may have lost some skills, but he always had a lineman's mindset and knew what to do.

But I think if Ben stays one more year, so does Pouncey - if they let him.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Who has mentioned anything about being a power blocker?
    EVERYBODY knew that pouncey was a very athletic center and not a mauler.
    Besides, 10 seasons in, a guy is going to lose his athleticism AND his power.
    Not much of a prediction.
    yeah.. I agree, his ability to pull and get to the second level, and his leadership were his best attributes.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yeah.. I agree, his ability to pull and get to the second level, and his leadership were his best attributes.
    Not that I am a center expert, but I can’t think of any that could move like him.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers don't ax Pouncey and Decastro, then Tomlin is all lip service. Your can't expect the results to be different without doing both.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

He was never a power blocker, and now with age it is so apparent he can't hold back the stronger DL he's playing against. DeCastro has cracks in the dike as well. I was jealous watching the Browns OL play yesterday (yea, it was the Chefs but still).

Time to cut the dead wood.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I've been banging this drum for a few years now. In his prime, what was it that Pouncey could do that made people say "wow, that guy is one of the best centers in the league?" it was his ability to get to the second level to throw that extra block to break a big run. When was the last time that you saw a big run, let alone Pouncey leading the charge downfield?

On a similar note, my son asked me yesterday what former Steeler I would want on each side of the ball if we could get one. One of the names that I came up with on offense was Dermontti Dawson. Man, how great would it be to plug that guy in and forget about the position for a long, long time. He could run block, pass block, pull....he could do it all. I think that even at the size he played at in the '90s he would not be that out of place today.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    But I think if Ben stays one more year, so does Pouncey
    This is my fear ... if Ben comes back, the old gang stays and we see more of the same