Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why we should move on from Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This Wexell article sums up a lot of the same feelings I have about Ben. Donít agree with the Hue Jackson angle but Iím talking about the ďdirty little secretĒ part.

Ben always came across as reactive instead of proactive as our franchise QB once Bettis and company left the building.

The photos hanging out with WRís before the 2019 season. Does that happen if AB didnít call out Ben? Why does someone have to call him out for him to do what QBís are supposed to do naturally?

Does Ben run a QB sneak vs Cleveland if we didnít make a big deal about it the prior year? Notice how he hasnít done it since? He did that to joke Haley.. but why not continue to do it since its low risk and usually works?

This is what I mean when I say Ben does his own thing. He just never felt like a guy who did these things because it would help us win games.. just felt like he did them because he was called out on it.

We didnít need to see Ben hanging out with WRís or running QB sneaks to make fans and critics eat their words. We needed him to do it because it makes the team better and gives us the best chance to win. People ask about QB sneaks and Ben responds with ďI asked Tomlin to run some QB draws at the GLĒ umm what? No one wants you run QB draws Ben.. you are slow as hell, we want you to run QB sneaks and keep the chains moving.
    Ok to some points, meh to others. He wasn't into practices and studying, we knew that since about his first season. And it doesn't seem to have changed much over the years. But he brought it at game time.

I am vexed by the lack of QB sneaks. On the one hand the HC said he isn't opposed to them if the situation called for it. On the other Roethlisberger says "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."

And then there is this WTF from Fichtner on QB sneaks:

ďJust the truth be known, if we canít hand it to one of our backs and we canít block Ďem, we didnít deserve to win that down.Ē
    Just wow...that's all I can muster on that.

But meh, where is it written the QB has to hang out with this WRs? The fact is Roethlisberger liked to hang out with his OL instead, after all they are probably a bigger part of his longevity and career than the WRs. WRs have come and gone but the core of the OL has stayed together a very long time (even AB..what has he done since he left?).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ok to some points, meh to others. He wasn't into practices and studying, we knew that since about his first season. And it doesn't seem to have changed much over the years. But he brought it at game time.

I am vexed by the lack of QB sneaks. On the one hand the HC said he isn't opposed to them if the situation called for it. On the other Roethlisberger says "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."

But meh, where is it written the QB has to hang out with this WRs? The fact is Roethlisberger liked to hang out with his OL instead, after all they are probably a bigger part of his longevity and career than the WRs. WRs have come and gone but the core of the OL has stayed together a very long time (even AB..what has he done since he left?).
    Ben: I can't run a QB sneak if it's not called.

Also Ben: I often make up plays, draw them in the dirt and tell everyone what to do with no input from the OC.

FWIW I think the QB, HC, and FO decided a while ago that it isn't worth the risk. Maybe one of those voices is loudest, but it probably doesn't really matter. Except to Haley who maybe got fired over it (and probably many other things)

Backup

User Info Menu

Our window to play in the super bowl has slammed shut. Look at free agency and who we will lose, and our schedule. Ben is old. ( 39 next season ) . He's 41 million on the cap, we can cut him and reduce that number to 19 million. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut and play for 25 million okay then I say keep him for one more year.

Its hard to say but I lean toward cutting him if the numbers remain the same,. Give him a full media day, and Art Rooney II's suite for the day. Sorry, we need players and to get our cap situation under control.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 01-23-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Our window to play in the super bowl has slammed shut. Look at free agency and who we will lose, and our schedule. Ben is old. ( 39 next season ) . He's 41 million on the cap, we can cut him and reduce that number to 19 million. If he's willing to take a massive pay cut and play for 25 million okay then I say keep him for one more year.

Its hard to say but I lean toward cutting him if the numbers remain the same,. Give him a full media day, and Art Rooney II's suite for the day. Sorry, we need players and to get our cap situation under control.
    I think it's worth remembering that his cap hit isn't his salary.

His hit is 41M because we restructured his contract.

There's nothing we can do about 21M of that.

He's getting paid about 19M this upcoming season (not 41M). That's probably at or below market value for a QB his vintage.

He's not going to take a paycut.

If he agrees it's his last year, they can roll most of that into signing bonus, spread it over 5 years and give him a minimum salary. I think this pits his cap hit around 26M maybe 27M.

Then his contract gets voided after next season and we get 14M in dead money the next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

If Ben said that or just ignored AB and continued to do his thing I would agree with you. But photos of him hanging out with the WR’s the next offseason is an example of Ben being reactive.

and AB was pretty good the last 5 weeks of the regular season this year. I believe he had a game winning TD vs Washington a few weeks back.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

I’m with you; it’s time to move on. And managements reluctance to do that is hindering us from rebuilding the way we need to. Our window was shut after we lost to the Jags in 2018.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Ben: I can't run a QB sneak if it's not called.

Also Ben: I often make up plays, draw them in the dirt and tell everyone what to do with no input from the OC.

FWIW I think the QB, HC, and FO decided a while ago that it isn't worth the risk. Maybe one of those voices is loudest, but it probably doesn't really matter. Except to Haley who maybe got fired over it (and probably many other things)
    Ben has always had that passive-aggressive side to him.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue