Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we should move on from Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Why we should move on from Ben

First, I am a huge Ben fan and feel he is the best QB in franchise history, but player all reach a sell by date and I think the time to move on is now for the following reasons:

1. It is unlikely that Ben will be significantly better next year than he was this year. He still misses on too many deep balls and we will be in a talent transition with key losses
    2. With Canada confirmed as the new OC, Ben doesn't fit what he likes to call. Canada was brought in to develop Mason Rudolph and I think we need to get MR under Center as the starter for a full year to know what we have since we will be looking at his contract ending after 2021. We can then make an informed decision on extending MR and not hoping to suck to get a Top 10 pick.
    3. The salary cap. Ben will absorb a huge part of the salary cap even if we find a way to do extensions. We all know that the cap isn't going to go up and we have little flexibility and will have to let multiple players leave. Whether we like it or not 2021 is going to essentially be a rebuild year.
    4. Establish some cap certainty. Get Ben off the books after 2021 and it puts us in a good position moving forward. Likely post 2021 the cap will make a large jump and with Ben off the books we could have over $30M+ in cap space to rapidly plug holes

All good things must end and as much as it hurts, its time for Ben to ride off into the sunset

Legend

User Info Menu

Ya, it's hard to move on but it's the right decision.

Ben wasn't good enough to carry the team this year.

And the team will be worse next year because of cap issues.

Even if you think Ben is still near his prime, I think it's hard to imagine a positive result next season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree... and it should’ve happened before his last contract.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I tend to agree with most all points Ovie. BUT, It's not gonna happen. The Rooney's regret the Troy treatment and will not do the same to Ben.
    2021 Draft Trade 1/24, 6/192, 6c, 7/210, 7/219 and 2022 4th to the Jets for 2/34, 3/66, 5/132

2/34-Teven Jenkins-OT-Ok St.
    2/55-Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/66-Joe Tryon-OLB-Wash.
    3/88-Rhamondre Stevenson-RB-OU
    4/119-Alaric Jackson-OL-Iowa
    4/C-Camryn Bynum-DB-Cal
    5/132-Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I tend to agree with most all points Ovie. BUT, It's not gonna happen. The Rooney's regret the Troy treatment and will not do the same to Ben.
    I also think we'll get the 1 more year (on a no new money extension to spread the cap hit out). I don't think we'll cut him, but maybe he looks at the roster next year and decides it's not worth the sacrifices required to play and retires?

But I'm not super confident. Maybe like 60% or so.

I think there's basically 0% chance that he "plays out the contract" or "signs an extension with new money". Or at least, I think they would both be pretty big mistakes by the front office.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I’m good either way, but it seems silly to me to waste a season so Ben can have a goodbye tour.

If he’s our best chance to win, he should stay. If he’s not, he should go. Yes, they need to do it better than they did with Troy, but the best tribute to Ben’s legacy is to let him leave without a blown up season as his final chapter.

Don’t think that’s what will happen though. He’ll start next sept and I hope Tomlin finds a way to pull it all together.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I understand the desire, but I think if we go that route then we will be drafting in the Top 10 in '22

BTW...do you really believe in Mac Jones? I see a QB surrounded by insane talent who rarely had to make tough throws. I'd rather go Najee Harris
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-17-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I understand the desire, but I think if we go that route then we will be drafting in the Top 10 in '22

BTW...do you really believe in Mac Jones? I see a QB surrounded by insane talent who rarely had to make tough throws. I'd rather go Najee Harris
    You could use that argument against Najee Harris also. I think Mac Jones has some great intangibles and an arm that can make all the throws. I think this years QB class will be better than next years. Personally I'd like to see Ben retire and we "stink for Spencer (Rattler)" in 2022. Although we would probably have to stink more than we have since the 60's to get Rattler. I'm not completely giving up on MR but I'd be shocked if he has the mental makeup to become anything more than a good backup and spot starter. I'd roll the dice on Jones if he is there. If not, OL in first 2 rounds and then a RB.
    2021 Draft Trade 1/24, 6/192, 6c, 7/210, 7/219 and 2022 4th to the Jets for 2/34, 3/66, 5/132

2/34-Teven Jenkins-OT-Ok St.
    2/55-Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/66-Joe Tryon-OLB-Wash.
    3/88-Rhamondre Stevenson-RB-OU
    4/119-Alaric Jackson-OL-Iowa
    4/C-Camryn Bynum-DB-Cal
    5/132-Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I think we want to be drafting in the top 10 in 22.

Actually, I think that's kind of the goal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You guys might like this read...

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...nse-159369372/

I am flip floppy on this topic...

I understand and all have value points, but putting it in a time line I see no difference in playing with Ben than without Ben. But with Ben on board, he gives a better shot.

With Ben, we have Mason as back up, we can ignore the QB postion all together in this draft - fa period. We can focus on RB- OL on O, and ILB-DB and depth... have all the pieces ready for the next QB. Who knows with a strong D and a strong running game, and a HOF QB, maybe we can run the table and win the superbowl. (spread out Ben's contract to save 10-15 million this year. 2022 we have more than enough cap space! 177 miilion )

Without Ben, we are going to have to invest in QB future starter or back up, and that is not even a sure thing it is going to work out. Do you have a rookie behind Rudolf , or have Rudolf as your back up to your rookie? I think your going to need a vet QB and they are expensive. It is all going to take $ and draft capitol, just to sort out the QB room, so that cap hit saving of 19 from Ben might be just 10 Million all said in done. Then you have to spend the remaining resources to retooling the OL and RB and holes left on defense.