Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: So, how do we go about getting our next franchise qb?

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    So, how do we go about getting our next franchise qb?

    Iíve seen people that want to keep Ben another year.
    Iíve seen people that want to cut Ben and others and keep the defense together.
    I donít see where one option is better than the other . I can see either one equate to 7-9 to 9-7 and possibly make the expanded playoffs.
    If we did make the playoffs , we surely wouldnít go far.
    So how do we draft our next qb picking around 16?
    Unless a bold move is made, it looks to me like this team flounders around .500 for a long time.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I’ve seen people that want to keep Ben another year.
    I’ve seen people that want to cut Ben and others and keep the defense together.
    I don’t see where one option is better than the other . I can see either one equate to 7-9 to 9-7 and possibly make the expanded playoffs.
    If we did make the playoffs , we surely wouldn’t go far.
    So how do we draft our next qb picking around 16?
    Unless a bold move is made, it looks to me like this team flounders around .500 for a long time.
    IMO, looking for the next franchise quarterback isn't the top priority, unless, of course, one happens to fall in their laps. Due to the cap and potential retirement the Steelers will be losing many players from this year's 12-5 team. I think Rudolph showed enough to be able to win 8,9 or 10 games provided that the running game is resurgent and the defense doesn't lose too many players. Run the ball and stop the run has been the Steelers MO for as many years as I can remember and that put them in position to win playoff games and never be embarrassed like Sunday night. But the last 2-3 years the Steelers have forgotten how to run the ball and stop the run. They started passing the ball as if Ben is getting younger, more mobile and stronger rather than the opposite. I've said it in other threads, Ben needs to be in the 22 - 26 pass attempt range per game, this is where you see 2-3 TDs, 0 - 1 INT, 250 - 300 yards and an efficient passing game.

    If they can fix the running game and keep the majority of the defense in tact, Rudolph or even Ben will be fine at quarterback. I'd like to see a different offense in general than the one I watched this year.

    Me, I'm not worried about quarterback, I'm worried about being able to field NFL capable players at every other position, then the quarterback position. The only group above the line (so to speak) right now is the WR group and there's a good chance they will be losing Juju. The Oline, RBs and TEs are average on their best day, imo, fix this and you fix the Steelers.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.24 Jaylen Mayfield - OT, Michigan
    2.56 Creed Humphrey - C, Oklahoma
    3.87 Hunter Long - TE, Boston College
    4.125
    4.138
    5.201
    5.221
    7.239
    7.249

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    You don’t get him this year. Won’t get him @ #24 & need the draft capital this year...Lots of holes created with cap. We will be rolling with a BB for 1 more on altered contract or MR. If BB does retire they will get insurance via trade or budget signing. I do not think the FO Sees Dobbs-Duck as a Season #2. One of them will be the #3 with TBD name added to MR for completion-insurance.

    I think you will see a focus on a revamp running game. AV & Fieler gone unless they cut DD & sign Fieler to play LG. Banner on cheap for RT. If Pouncey retires they will go Plug & Play C in draft. Dotson & DD at other Guard Unless like I stated above. If DD Cut then Dotson will be RG. Chuks opens as the LT with a OT drafted early. Better of those 2 start @ LT. Loser vs Banner for RT with the loser of that as swing.


    You guys dont want to hear this but JC may be back on cheap. Draft RB & Snell situational. Snell more than capable moving into #2 when someone gets dinged. Samuels will get decent offer somewhere else. Maybe we then get a Watt sighting on Sundays too.

    I don’t think there will be many Sexy picks early. We Hear...Run Game. “Toughness”. “Nasty”. Getting out physical’d. Father Time kicked their A$$. Draft Division First. We know what that means & where this team was at.
    1 Creed Humphrey C
    2 Jackson Carman OL
    3 Javonte Williams RB
    4A Alim McNeil DT
    4B Merlin Robertson ILB

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    IMO, looking for the next franchise quarterback isn't the top priority, unless, of course, one happens to fall in their laps. Due to the cap and potential retirement the Steelers will be losing many players from this year's 12-5 team. I think Rudolph showed enough to be able to win 8,9 or 10 games provided that the running game is resurgent and the defense doesn't lose too many players. Run the ball and stop the run has been the Steelers MO for as many years as I can remember and that put them in position to win playoff games and never be embarrassed like Sunday night. But the last 2-3 years the Steelers have forgotten how to run the ball and stop the run. They started passing the ball as if Ben is getting younger, more mobile and stronger rather than the opposite. I've said it in other threads, Ben needs to be in the 22 - 26 pass attempt range per game, this is where you see 2-3 TDs, 0 - 1 INT, 250 - 300 yards and an efficient passing game.

    If they can fix the running game and keep the majority of the defense in tact, Rudolph or even Ben will be fine at quarterback. I'd like to see a different offense in general than the one I watched this year.

    Me, I'm not worried about quarterback, I'm worried about being able to field NFL capable players at every other position, then the quarterback position. The only group above the line (so to speak) right now is the WR group and there's a good chance they will be losing Juju. The Oline, RBs and TEs are average on their best day, imo, fix this and you fix the Steelers.

    Pappy
    Nice response.
    This isn’t a knock on you, so don’t take it that way.
    Your philosophy is geared towards winning 8-10 if everything else falls into place and being happy with that.
    As you know, I want post season success. I am actually more in favor of giving away a draft to grab our guy. I don’t see us being a legit contender for several years at best and am more that willing to get our guy and scrap together the other 52(with keeping a few of our studs).
    Obviously it’s early and we don’t know the numbers, but at this point we look like we are in big trouble fielding a decent team. A decent game ram lead by mason won’t be able to compete with the qbs in our own division.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Nice response.
    This isn’t a knock on you, so don’t take it that way.
    Your philosophy is geared towards winning 8-10 if everything else falls into place and being happy with that.
    As you know, I want post season success. I am actually more in favor of giving away a draft to grab our guy. I don’t see us being a legit contender for several years at best and am more that willing to get our guy and scrap together the other 52(with keeping a few of our studs).
    Obviously it’s early and we don’t know the numbers, but at this point we look like we are in big trouble fielding a decent team. A decent game ram lead by mason won’t be able to compete with the qbs in our own division.
    You're right, I hate losing games, let alone an entire season, I am always of the mindset put the best team on the field and win games, if that gets you into the playoffs that's great, if it doesn't then you'll be drafting higher and be able to add better players. If the Steelers are going to win 3,4 ,5 or 6 games, I'm not wasting my time on Thursday, Sunday or Monday watching them play, I'm just not. I need to know they have a chance to win a game going into the game.

    Once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, your quarterback can get hot, the defense can play great, maybe the special teams make a big play and win a couple playoff games, either way that's better than tanking a season and going into a draft that is a crap shoot anyhow. I am definitely in the camp od putting together the best team possible to win as many games as possible and see what happens should they make the playoffs.

    I'm trying to win 8-10 with an aging Ben or Rudolph while they build the rest of the team, maybe Rudolph surprises everyone and becomes an above average quarterback in the league or even better. You can win a Super Bowl with an above average quarterback, a good running game and a good defense.

    IMO, giving away a draft for one player and lets say he's a franchise quarterback, you won't compete because you won't have the horses to back fill all the positions and by the time you do, your franchise quarterback is looking for his 100 million dollar contract and killing the teams cap situation.

    Never give up, put the best team possible on the field and let the chips fall. Oh, by the way, no offense taken, we all get an opinion.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.24 Jaylen Mayfield - OT, Michigan
    2.56 Creed Humphrey - C, Oklahoma
    3.87 Hunter Long - TE, Boston College
    4.125
    4.138
    5.201
    5.221
    7.239
    7.249

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    We better come up with a legit franchise QB or we are going to see Tomlin circle the drain super quick. Cowher made the playoffs and plenty of AFC championships without a legit franchise QB. Let's see Tomlin build a team that can do that without a franchise QB.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You don’t get him this year. Won’t get him @ #24 & need the draft capital this year...Lots of holes created with cap. We will be rolling with a BB for 1 more on altered contract or MR. If BB does retire they will get insurance via trade or budget signing. I do not think the FO Sees Dobbs-Duck as a Season #2. One of them will be the #3 with TBD name added to MR for completion-insurance.

    I think you will see a focus on a revamp running game. AV & Fieler gone unless they cut DD & sign Fieler to play LG. Banner on cheap for RT. If Pouncey retires they will go Plug & Play C in draft. Dotson & DD at other Guard Unless like I stated above. If DD Cut then Dotson will be RG. Chuks opens as the LT with a OT drafted early. Better of those 2 start @ LT. Loser vs Banner for RT with the loser of that as swing.


    You guys dont want to hear this but JC may be back on cheap. Draft RB & Snell situational. Snell more than capable moving into #2 when someone gets dinged. Samuels will get decent offer somewhere else. Maybe we then get a Watt sighting on Sundays too.

    I don’t think there will be many Sexy picks early. We Hear...Run Game. “Toughness”. “Nasty”. Getting out physical’d. Father Time kicked their A$$. Draft Division First. We know what that means & where this team was at.

    Nice.
    One of my issues is that we had an opportunity to draft oline last year and didn’t. We let young, cheap oline guys walk in FA. We wasted a draft pick on a rb.
    We don’t have a blocking te.
    I’d rather have a franchise qb first and build around him then try to build an entire oline and keep it together for however long it takes to suck enough to draft a qb.
    I would imagine if we had a great oline and running game we wouldn’t be in a position to suck.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    In answer to the thread title: probably by sucking for a few years.

    But will our team be bad enough to really suck? Or will we be stuck where the Bills were for decades with a bunch of 7 win seasons.

    This is why the cap crunch this year maybe helps us a bit. I think we'll be hurting for talent next season.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Nice.
    One of my issues is that we had an opportunity to draft oline last year and didn’t. We let young, cheap oline guys walk in FA. We wasted a draft pick on a rb.
    We don’t have a blocking te.
    I’d rather have a franchise qb first and build around him then try to build an entire oline and keep it together for however long it takes to suck enough to draft a qb.
    I would imagine if we had a great oline and running game we wouldn’t be in a position to suck.
    And if we dont stink ( as you’ve suggested) then It still is on management to be bold and do what it has to do to get a legit franchise QB.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It still is on management to be bold and do what it has to do to get a legit franchise QB.
    did you send management your genius idea to trade ALMOST almost all of our draft choices to move up for Trevor Lawrence?

    lmao
    Steelers Mock Draft:
    1. Rashawn Slater OT Northwestern
    2. Landon Dickerson C Alabama
    3. Rhamondre Stevenson RB Oklahoma
    4. Charlie Kolar TE Iowa St

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •