Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we really waste Benís best years?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Did we really waste Benís best years?

or did we just fail to realize his early years were his best years?

Playoff Ben hasnít been that hot lately.

Way too many turnovers.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They were wasted.
    Bens strength was his ability to extend plays. He was simply incredible. Watching a guy that size scramble, throw defenders off him, take viscous hit and still connect on incredible throws was amazing.
    Really to no fault of their own, the organization took all that away to preserve his body and extend his HOF career.
    He has had a couple wtf playoff games but the team had more than enough talent to go much farther than they did.
    Besides, they had the second greatest HC in the league that could motivate, scheme, and coach up the rest of the players even if Ben had a bad game.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is clearly done.

thank you for all the good years when you were younger but it's time to turn the page and move on without him.

what I'm afraid of is that Ben will want to play out the last year of his contract and out of respect the Rooneys will let him.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    or did we just fail to realize his early years were his best years?

Playoff Ben hasn’t been that hot lately.

Way too many turnovers.
    I think Ben (and every QB) is better when they have a good defense.

It's the "curse" of having a good QB on a market level deal.

He's really good, but pretty much no one can carry a team all by themselves.

What made Ben very special was his ability to extend the play. It wasn't about his pinpoint accuracy, or his ability to read defenses (although he got much better at reading Ds later in his career IMO).

When he was great, I think it was him being a gunslinger who wasn't afraid of being smacked in the mouth to make the big play (thrived on it?).

And I think that's much harder (impossible?) to do in your mid to late 30s vs. your mid to late 20s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ben is clearly done.

thank you for all the good years when you were younger but it's time to turn the page and move on without him.

what I'm afraid of is that Ben will want to play out the last year of his contract and out of respect the Rooneys will let him.
    My guess is that he wouldn't want to play a season where his cap hit is that high after he looks at what the roster he'd be playing with looks like.

Maybe they does the no new money extension though if he really wants to come back for one more year.

I think it's only putting off the inevitable, but I could see them letting him go out like that if he wanted to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    They were wasted.
    Bens strength was his ability to extend plays. He was simply incredible. Watching a guy that size scramble, throw defenders off him, take viscous hit and still connect on incredible throws was amazing.
    Really to no fault of their own, the organization took all that away to preserve his body and extend his HOF career.
    He has had a couple wtf playoff games but the team had more than enough talent to go much farther than they did.
    Besides, they had the second greatest HC in the league that could motivate, scheme, and coach up the rest of the players even if Ben had a bad game.
    Thank you.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When you are solely responsible for 8 turnovers in the last two playoff games, it's more like he wasted the Steelers years!!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    When you are solely responsible for 8 turnovers in the last two playoff games, it's more like he wasted the Steelers years!!
    I think people keep mixing up the regular season and playoff games against Jax.

He was "only" responsible for 2 turnovers in the playoff game (1 INT, 1 FUMBLE). But that was enough to lose against a team that probably had the best defense of the decade. Especially since they came early and we really needed to force them out of their ball control offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Oh, Ben isn't excused. But did Ben waste the other 8 years of playoff failures? No. What we saw last night was a failure from the entire team. You see Ben didn't allow the 40 yard TD pass to Landry. Ben should be done. Despite what comes out his mouth, we shouldn't be bringing him back.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think people keep mixing up the regular season and playoff games against Jax.

He was "only" responsible for 2 turnovers in the playoff game (1 INT, 1 FUMBLE). But that was enough to lose against a team that probably had the best defense of the decade. Especially since they came early and we really needed to force them out of their ball control offense.
    Nope he had 3int and one fumble.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]