Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay 2021 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Alabama RB Najee Harris

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    who cares what Ben wants.. Harris is something we need now and into the future. We shouldn’t approach this draft for the wants and needs of Ben next year.
    Agreed. The QB had everything he could want in 2017/2018. Time to move on to what the team needs.

Legend

User Info Menu

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

The Steelers need a difference-maker in the backfield. Harris would be a great fit and bring bell-cow back potential to the Pittsburgh offense.

Harris averaged 6.1 yards per carry in 2020 for 1,387 yards with 24 touchdowns. He made 36 catches for 346 yards and three touchdowns while being impressive as a blocker as well. In 2019, Harris averaged 5.9 yards per carry for 1,224 yards with 13 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 304 yards and seen scores as a receiver. Harris flashed at times, but some scouts didn't feel Harris was the same caliber as other recent Alabama running backs like Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris or Derrick Henry.

Harris (6-2, 230) is a big back who has some quickness and athleticism for the NFL. Over his first few seasons, he didn't generally run to his size and looked to bounce too many carries to the outside rather than use his power to run behind his pads in a physical manner. In the latter half of 2019, especially against LSU and Mississippi State, Harris aggressively ran downhill with decisiveness. His tape from the back half of the 2019 season will help his draft grade and definitely makes him look like a better pro prospect compared to how he performed at the beginning of that season.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021charlie_1.php
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Tedarrell Slaton DT Florida
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Erroll Thompson ILB Miss St
    7a. Malcolm Koonce OLB Buffalo
    7b. James Wiggins S Cincinnati

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    What round was Aaron Jones drafted? What round was Kareem hunt drafted? What round was Alvin Kamara drafted? What round was dobbins drafted? What round was Johnathan Taylor drafted? Very few running backs are taken in the first round anymore.
    Probably because the position is devalued and drafts are deeper these days. However if your scouts says RB XYZ is better than the others who were taken in the previous draft and you need an RB, you take him.

Harris won't be there for us in round two. Neither will the Clemson back. They are better than the other prospects. Dobbins IMO hurt his stock by not running a 40 yard dash. Taylor had some fumble issues and people were not sure if he could be a 3rd down pass catching back. Reasons they went in round two.

If Harris shows his speed, he's got the moves and power to be worth a 1st first round pick. This is a 3 down back.
    The Steelers must do well in the 2021 and 2022 draft.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

The Steelers need a difference-maker in the backfield. Harris would be a great fit and bring bell-cow back potential to the Pittsburgh offense.

Harris averaged 6.1 yards per carry in 2020 for 1,387 yards with 24 touchdowns. He made 36 catches for 346 yards and three touchdowns while being impressive as a blocker as well. In 2019, Harris averaged 5.9 yards per carry for 1,224 yards with 13 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 304 yards and seen scores as a receiver. Harris flashed at times, but some scouts didn't feel Harris was the same caliber as other recent Alabama running backs like Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris or Derrick Henry.

Harris (6-2, 230) is a big back who has some quickness and athleticism for the NFL. Over his first few seasons, he didn't generally run to his size and looked to bounce too many carries to the outside rather than use his power to run behind his pads in a physical manner. In the latter half of 2019, especially against LSU and Mississippi State, Harris aggressively ran downhill with decisiveness. His tape from the back half of the 2019 season will help his draft grade and definitely makes him look like a better pro prospect compared to how he performed at the beginning of that season.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021charlie_1.php
    The best Steeler backs were big guys, Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis for example. Neither has Najee Harris speed. I expect a 4.55 Whomever says he can't run with power needs to explain way all those touchdowns near the goal line. I never saw a Linebacker or DL player who can stuff him one on one. He'll run over DB's. Harris can make his guys miss ( Somewhat like Jerome ) and was was productive vs the best in the SEC. Yeah he played with an all star line, but his physicality trumps any Alabama back I can think of, and that's what we need.

He'll find the open hole, hit it quickly and can run inside or outside ( Key point ) ...after he hits the hole, he's a load to tackle. A grade A blocker if used that way. One of he safest picks for a RB in years. A clear upgrade for Conner who is too slow to get RAC or run outside.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 02-23-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Probably because the position is devalued and drafts are deeper these days. However if your scouts says RB XYZ is better than the others who were taken in the previous draft and you need an RB, you take him.

Harris won't be there for us in round two. Neither will the Clemson back. They are better than the other prospects. Dobbins IMO hurt his stock by not running a 40 yard dash. Taylor had some fumble issues and people were not sure if he could be a 3rd down pass catching back. Reasons they went in round two.

If Harris shows his speed, he's got the moves and power to be worth a 1st first round pick. This is a 3 down back.
    I partially agree. Of course the real question becomes how much better do you need that RB to be than what you already have on the roster. They might not need the best one in the draft in order to get to a good run game, especially if the passing game is better than average. This is what decides where a team will grab one...i.e, a bad passing team might grab a RB much higher.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wonder who Canada wants if they choose a RB in the first round. I would take Harris but some think he may rather draft Etienne to fit his style of offense. That would be a bummer in my mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I wonder who Canada wants if they choose a RB in the first round. I would take Harris but some think he may rather draft Etienne to fit his style of offense. That would be a bummer in my mind.
    McFarland gained over 1000 yards when he played for Matt Canada.

I wouldn't think Canada would want that same type of back, especially in the 1st round.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) Hunter Long TE Boston College
    3(87) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    4a. Tedarrell Slaton DT Florida
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Erroll Thompson ILB Miss St
    7a. Malcolm Koonce OLB Buffalo
    7b. James Wiggins S Cincinnati

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    McFarland gained over 1000 yards when he played for Matt Canada.

I wouldn't think Canada would want that same type of back, especially in the 1st round.
    It may be pure speculation, a projection and a bit of a stretch but I would suggest he already HAS the same kind of back on the roster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post

I’m not doubting Harris skill set. But again they’ll still be good backs in the second round. Just like Jonathan Taylor was there ; just like Dobbins was there ..just like Dillion was there.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I partially agree. Of course the real question becomes how much better do you need that RB to be than what you already have on the roster. They might not need the best one in the draft in order to get to a good run game, especially if the passing game is better than average. This is what decides where a team will grab one...i.e, a bad passing team might grab a RB much higher.
    Here's what I think. Conner is a tier 3 starter, more of a great story than anything else these days. Any RB we grab in round one or two will be noticeably better. If you want run the ball better, it's kind of hard with him. Defensive coaches and some players know darn well Conner can not run outside, so they pinch him inside. They also know he like to run to the right, and does not have much speed. This brings the defense up making it harder for the short passing game to work.

Harris is much faster, can run inside or out, blocks like a beast, is harder to bring down, and better at making his man miss. A good pass catcher too. A read zone weapon. As such he's much harder to defend. Plus he's not injury prone or fumble prone as Conner has been in the past. Fans should like Harris.

IMO, outside of punter and kicker, RB is the easiest position to coach. He either has " it " or doesn't sooner than the other positions where guys need to learn and develop. So the impact of drafting a good back is felt early. Look at the rookie success at this position.

Sure we need a new Center, Right Tackle and Tight End who can actually block, That's four round 2,3 and 4.

New mock draft with Ben being back.

1. RB Harris
    2. LT Dillon Radunz
    3. C Quinn Meinerz
    4. TE Tommy Tremble
    4B. WR/Slot A. Rodgers
    6. P Max Duffy
    6B. DT Jonathan Marshall
    7. S Damar Hamlin
    7B. CB Ambry Thomas.