Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay 2021 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Alabama RB Najee Harris

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I would doubt it was if I heard it.

Spillane had a huge hit vs Tennessee but I don’t remember many other splash plays.

I think Spillane can be our Clark Haggans and fill in nicely if he can stay healthy. We need those types of players too.
    Exactly - Clark Haggans, Larry Foote, even the recently departed Vinny Will. It is much more about value than having the best player for each position. There are currently 3 big ticket guys on D - Haden, Tuitt, Cam. There are several rookie deal guys - TJ, Bush, Minkah, Edmunds, Highsmith. There is one seasoned vet who is not a high priced player - Alualu. Now there are a couple of lower priced second contracts - Spillane, Sutton. You need a mix. The most important factor is playing up to or beyond your contract. Expectations are higher on Heyward than Spillane because he brings in the big money. Just go out there and do your job young fella.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Exactly - Clark Haggans, Larry Foote, even the recently departed Vinny Will. It is much more about value than having the best player for each position. There are currently 3 big ticket guys on D - Haden, Tuitt, Cam. There are several rookie deal guys - TJ, Bush, Minkah, Edmunds, Highsmith. There is one seasoned vet who is not a high priced player - Alualu. Now there are a couple of lower priced second contracts - Spillane, Sutton. You need a mix. The most important factor is playing up to or beyond your contract. Expectations are higher on Heyward than Spillane because he brings in the big money. Just go out there and do your job young fella.
    Outside of Ben and Pouncey, I think Cam was the most disappointing in the playoff game against the Browns this year.

Seems like he should have dominated his matchup(s). 3rd stringer pressed into starting LG M.Dunn had 1 career snap.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would doubt it was if I heard it.

Spillane had a huge hit vs Tennessee but I donít remember many other splash plays.

I think Spillane can be our Clark Haggans and fill in nicely if he can stay healthy. We need those types of players too.
    I remember a certain pick-6.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Outside of Ben and Pouncey, I think Cam was the most disappointing in the playoff game against the Browns this year.

Seems like he should have dominated his matchup(s). 3rd stringer pressed into starting LG M.Dunn had 1 career snap.
    Not to hijack this topic but it still stings, the way they played. As bad as the offense started, the defense was pretty much blah all game. I'm afraid Butler/Tomlin got outcoached and the core players were no-shows;

Cam Heyward was going up against an offensive lineman who’d met his quarterback hours before the game, yet you’d never know it. T.J. Watt, who has terrorized quarterbacks with relish, never touched Mayfield Baker. “Minkah Magic” was missing the entire night.

Nick Chubb, Cassius Marsh, Steelers vs Browns
    Nick Chubb scores and all Cassius Marsh can do is watch. Photo Credit: Matt Starkey, Browns.com

Not after the turn overs, at the goal line, not in the 4th quarter when the Steelers desperately needed a 3 and out. Instead, the defense allowed the Browns to stitch together a 6 play 80-yard touchdown drive.

A big play or two, a series of sacks, a forced fumble, an interception or a pick six could have made all of the difference.

None of those were to be had.
    Instead of acting as the cavalry, the Steelers defense looked more like the Hindenburg responding responding to the Titanic’s distress call. If Steelers Wild Card Loss to the Browns does mark the end of the Roethlisberger era, it is a bitter end indeed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    well said

before i read your reply, i was going to mention foote, VW even jerry O were players that played well enough on a great defenses. part of the reason for it is being surrounded by so much talent

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I remember a certain pick-6.
    thanks.. I forgot about that. Wasn’t that against Bmore?

critical fans would say something like “he didn’t have to do anything” or “it came right to him”

but yes, that was a huge play.

Never understood those who downplay those type of plays because it wasn’t a highlight reel catch in traffic.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

critical fans would say something like “he didn’t have to do anything” or “it came right to him”

Never understood those who downplay those type of plays because it wasn’t a highlight reel catch in traffic.
    Yes, it was and I think it set the tone for the game. I think he made a slight move for the ball but he still had to catch it and take it to the house. It was a great play, I've seen many players get hit in the breadbasket and drop the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I am for Creed in the 1st but the Steelers are reportedly not looking this way. Could be a red herring or perhaps they believe they can get a quality center in rounds 2 or 3. I am thinking it comes down to RB or ILB in the first, depending on how the draft unfolds.
    I think it could also be OT, although Colbert said it's a deep draft for that position so we may wait until Day 2.
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually he DID do something to make that play. I remember they asked him about it afterwards. He said BAL actually ran the same play earlier but Highsmith said he took a bad angle and didn't drop back enough to defend the play and it was a completion. He recognized the play when they ran it again and this time he adjusted his drop back and made the INT. There's a lot to be said for playing smart to make up for lesser athleticism than say a Dupree. Very excited to see whether Highsmith can build on his great start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not to hijack this topic but it still stings, the way they played. As bad as the offense started, the defense was pretty much blah all game. I'm afraid Butler/Tomlin got outcoached and the core players were no-shows;
    I'm trying to think about that game as little as possible. But it still rears up at times.

Like when I say that comment about expectations for Cam.

Trying to erase those memories, but it's tough.