Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Random too early post season moves

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    in the 2018 draft we knew bell was going to cost big bucks. they could have been proactive and drafted someone high like rashard penny jump ahead of seattle by trading a 3rd day pick)
    sony michel and ronald jones at the beginning of the 2nd round

instead we drafted a SS where some mocks had him going in the 3rd round. a postion where we just failed to develop a 2nd rounder a few years prior

our rivals in the north, with the 2nd best ranked defense this year, start two 6th round picks.
    so either their coaching staff is doing a much better job (shocker) at developing these players into their system or their team scouts are doing much better job at finding late round talents.
    something has to change in order to keep up

in 2019, here's a list of draft. there are plenty of guys with the trade up to 10 or staying put at 20 and keeping the extra picks who could have helped
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft
    One of the best post of the year so far.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    In hindsight 2017 was the best roster the Steelers could have fielded for a SB run. Both offense and defense were hitting their stride with outstanding skill position players. Few, if any, weaknesses on either side of the ball. Of course it all came crashing to an end on Dec. 4th. The team hasn't really had that level of roster since then. Good enough to win a lot of games but some glaring weaknesses.
    I think it was that season when Alex K was arguing that it was out "last best chance to win a SB".

I thought that this year was going to be a strong year, but we got some critical injuries on D and the O ended up not much better that Rudolph's by the end.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it was that season when Alex K was arguing that it was out "last best chance to win a SB".

I thought that this year was going to be a strong year, but we got some critical injuries on D and the O ended up not much better that Rudolph's by the end.
    That is saying a lot right there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brandon Copeland as a priority FA signing anyone?

1. Brandon Copeland
    Not the guy you were expecting to hold down the No. 1 spot, was it? That is the reality of this upcoming offseason for a frugal Steelers team.

Nevertheless, Copeland has some upside as an outside linebacker.

The 29-year-old has primarily been a special teams ace, but recent history suggests he could be productive on the outside.

Copeland started 10 of 16 games for the New York Jets in 2018, finishing the season with 5.0 sacks, eight tackles for a loss and 14 quarterback hits. But he has not been much more than a depth guy since, and he suffered a torn pectoral after playing just six games with the New England Patriots in 2020.

Pittsburgh will need to find some depth at linebacker. The Steelers are all but guaranteed to lose Bud Dupree and will also likely lose inside linebacker Avery Williamson. They need to find guys who can play meaningful snaps while also being capable of rushing the passer.

Copeland would hardly be the flashiest of additions. But he can rush the passer, and provides depth at a position of need.
    jets have tons of cap space, if they want him back we won't be able to come close to their offer

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it was that season when Alex K was arguing that it was our "last best chance to win a SB".
    I thought so too, especially when we were 11-0.

I think we are in for a long dry spell unfortunately.
    Steelers Mock Draft: trade with Philadelphia 1(24) for 2(37) and 3(69)
    2(37) Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma
    2(55) Javonte Williams RB N Carolina
    3(69) James Hudson OT Cincinnati
    3(87) Tommy Tremble TE N Dame
    4a. Shaka Toney OLB Penn St
    4(comp) Kary Vincent Jr. CB LSU
    6a. Austin Watkins WR UAB
    6(comp) Tuf Borland ILB Ohio St
    7a. Royce Newman OG Ole Miss
    7b. Lorenzo Neal DT Purdue

Legend

User Info Menu

Brandon Copeland as a priority FA signing anyone?

1. Brandon Copeland
    Not the guy you were expecting to hold down the No. 1 spot, was it? That is the reality of this upcoming offseason for a frugal Steelers team.

Nevertheless, Copeland has some upside as an outside linebacker.

The 29-year-old has primarily been a special teams ace, but recent history suggests he could be productive on the outside.

Copeland started 10 of 16 games for the New York Jets in 2018, finishing the season with 5.0 sacks, eight tackles for a loss and 14 quarterback hits. But he has not been much more than a depth guy since, and he suffered a torn pectoral after playing just six games with the New England Patriots in 2020.

Pittsburgh will need to find some depth at linebacker. The Steelers are all but guaranteed to lose Bud Dupree and will also likely lose inside linebacker Avery Williamson. They need to find guys who can play meaningful snaps while also being capable of rushing the passer.

Copeland would hardly be the flashiest of additions. But he can rush the passer, and provides depth at a position of need.
    Sounds like he'd be a viable 3rd edge.

We need depth and he might be cheap if he's a career backup / ST player.

I'd like a signing like this if it happened.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I thought so too, especially when we were 11-0.

I think we are in for a long dry spell unfortunately.
    This season reminded me of being a Leafs fan.

The Steelers are the team I follow that isn't supposed to drive the 18 wheeler off the cliff.