Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Random too early post season moves

  1. #51
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I want the line to be better, bet there is no way they were playing guys over Pouncey, Decastro, and AV this year. Dotson looks to be a good pick pick despite not being an early pick.
    the first 2, I'll agree with but i'm not sure of the fascination with AV. great story and all not just with his background in the military but also with finding a position after playing wide receiver for west point.
    that should also tell you the negatives on being the starting LT...he was once a college WR


    I don't want expensive RBs or WRs. no highly drafted players are expensive anymore with rookie salary caps, they cost the same in their first 4-5 years as the 11 defensive players we drafted there instead
    I think our backs would have been fine if our line didn't suck and we had even an intermediate pass game that was respected.
    fine? i doubt any of our backs crack (as a an example) cleveland's top 3. baltimore's as well. there's a lack of talent. I don't see any of them with quick to the hole decisions, cutting, vision. they are yesteryear's versions of gary russel and jonathan dywer

    If you pay a QB what we do, it's supposed to make all those other positions better. But we didn't get that benefit once all the other teams in the league realized we couldn't get consistently accurate balls 10 or more yards down the field.
    their ineptitude has shown for more then this year

    We'll get more offensive picks in the near future because the rebuild will require it.

    I want that rebuild to start now but I think they will pretend we can be competitive next season.

    Which defensive players did you not want to draft at the time? And which offensive position did you want?
    .
    in the 2018 draft we knew bell was going to cost big bucks. they could have been proactive and drafted someone high like rashard penny jump ahead of seattle by trading a 3rd day pick)
    sony michel and ronald jones at the beginning of the 2nd round

    instead we drafted a SS where some mocks had him going in the 3rd round. a postion where we just failed to develop a 2nd rounder a few years prior

    our rivals in the north, with the 2nd best ranked defense this year, start two 6th round picks.
    so either their coaching staff is doing a much better job (shocker) at developing these players into their system or their team scouts are doing much better job at finding late round talents.
    something has to change in order to keep up



    in 2019, here's a list of draft. there are plenty of guys with the trade up to 10 or staying put at 20 and keeping the extra picks who could have helped
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft

  2. #52
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    That's an interesting link to see who spends how much on what.

    We spend the 10th most on OL in the league.

    Baltimore spends the least in the league on OL.

    The 4 teams left all have less than average spending on RB...all falling right in a row ranking 18 - 21.

    KC and BUF spend the most at WR. GB is a little above average. TB is a little below. We spend the 2nd least on WR in the league.

    BUF and KC are both above average in the secondary. GB is right about average. TB is well below average (ranked 29th). We're below average, but closer to average than TB.
    It's hard to do comparisons across teams without going into the details. Example is BAL spending least on OL. They also happen to have one of the youngest, if not the youngest starting OL in the league. One thing we can all agree on is that being saddled with a franchise QB contract really impacts how a team can construct their roster.

  3. #53
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Probably not a good sign that he was on the Steelers draft radar:

    Former Bears Draft Pick Stephen Denmark an Intriguing Project for Steelers
    Heavy | Jan 23 0 0
    On Thursday the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they had added former Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins, news that overshadowed the other three signings that came on the same day.

    One of the three players signed was cornerback Stephen Denmark, a 2019 seventh-round pick of the Chicago Bears, selected No. 238 overall out of Division II Valdosta State.

    Denmark—who is 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds—was on Pittsburgh’s radar prior to the 2019 NFL Draft. In fact, he was one of the 30-plus players the Steelers hosted for official visits, several of whom the Steelers ended up drafting, namely third-round cornerback Justin Layne (Michigan State) and sixth-round linebacker Ulysees Gilbert III (Akron).

    Despite playing at a Division II school—albeit one that went 14-0 and won the NCAA Division II Football National Championship in his last season—Denmark grabbed the attention of numerous NFL teams, including the Titans, Browns, Saints and Cardinals, among others

  4. #54
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    in the 2018 draft we knew bell was going to cost big bucks. they could have been proactive and drafted someone high like rashard penny jump ahead of seattle by trading a 3rd day pick)
    sony michel and ronald jones at the beginning of the 2nd round

    instead we drafted a SS where some mocks had him going in the 3rd round. a postion where we just failed to develop a 2nd rounder a few years prior

    our rivals in the north, with the 2nd best ranked defense this year, start two 6th round picks.
    so either their coaching staff is doing a much better job (shocker) at developing these players into their system or their team scouts are doing much better job at finding late round talents.
    something has to change in order to keep up



    in 2019, here's a list of draft. there are plenty of guys with the trade up to 10 or staying put at 20 and keeping the extra picks who could have helped
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft
    I agree with most of your post. These RB’s aren’t anything special.

    and I also believe we are better at finding late round WR’s and Baltimore is better at late round DB’s. But its hard to justify drafting skill positions high back when we were paying Ben, AB, Pouncey, DD nice coin and also trying to lock down Bell... while also having a below average D. We definitely mishandled Bell. Should’ve let him test the market and moved on if we didn’t want to match a serious offer. Wouldn’t we have received a nice pick in return as well a year later?

    Also, we lost Shazier and most people were complaining about our defense being soft in 2017/18.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #55
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    In hindsight 2017 was the best roster the Steelers could have fielded for a SB run. Both offense and defense were hitting their stride with outstanding skill position players. Few, if any, weaknesses on either side of the ball. Of course it all came crashing to an end on Dec. 4th. The team hasn't really had that level of roster since then. Good enough to win a lot of games but some glaring weaknesses.

  6. #56
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's hard to do comparisons across teams without going into the details. Example is BAL spending least on OL. They also happen to have one of the youngest, if not the youngest starting OL in the league. One thing we can all agree on is that being saddled with a franchise QB contract really impacts how a team can construct their roster.
    I think you're right that the details matter. Especially for young players on cheap contracts.

    Although sometimes you have young players on cheap contracts because you decided to let guys go instead of pay their market rate. I don't know if this is BAL's situation for their OL. But we've had the discussion on here for a while about how teams should probably be doing this with RBs and WRs (letting them go early rather than late).

  7. #57
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think you're right that the details matter. Especially for young players on cheap contracts.

    Although sometimes you have young players on cheap contracts because you decided to let guys go instead of pay their market rate. I don't know if this is BAL's situation for their OL. But we've had the discussion on here for a while about how teams should probably be doing this with RBs and WRs (letting them go early rather than late).
    Baltimore definitely has an earlier “sell by date” for players they draft. They moved on from Mosley and the TE who were in their prime.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  8. #58
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Brandon Copeland as a priority FA signing anyone?

    1. Brandon Copeland
    Not the guy you were expecting to hold down the No. 1 spot, was it? That is the reality of this upcoming offseason for a frugal Steelers team.

    Nevertheless, Copeland has some upside as an outside linebacker.

    The 29-year-old has primarily been a special teams ace, but recent history suggests he could be productive on the outside.

    Copeland started 10 of 16 games for the New York Jets in 2018, finishing the season with 5.0 sacks, eight tackles for a loss and 14 quarterback hits. But he has not been much more than a depth guy since, and he suffered a torn pectoral after playing just six games with the New England Patriots in 2020.

    Pittsburgh will need to find some depth at linebacker. The Steelers are all but guaranteed to lose Bud Dupree and will also likely lose inside linebacker Avery Williamson. They need to find guys who can play meaningful snaps while also being capable of rushing the passer.

    Copeland would hardly be the flashiest of additions. But he can rush the passer, and provides depth at a position of need.

  9. #59
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Brandon Copeland as a priority FA signing anyone?

    1. Brandon Copeland
    Not the guy you were expecting to hold down the No. 1 spot, was it? That is the reality of this upcoming offseason for a frugal Steelers team.

    Nevertheless, Copeland has some upside as an outside linebacker.

    The 29-year-old has primarily been a special teams ace, but recent history suggests he could be productive on the outside.

    Copeland started 10 of 16 games for the New York Jets in 2018, finishing the season with 5.0 sacks, eight tackles for a loss and 14 quarterback hits. But he has not been much more than a depth guy since, and he suffered a torn pectoral after playing just six games with the New England Patriots in 2020.

    Pittsburgh will need to find some depth at linebacker. The Steelers are all but guaranteed to lose Bud Dupree and will also likely lose inside linebacker Avery Williamson. They need to find guys who can play meaningful snaps while also being capable of rushing the passer.

    Copeland would hardly be the flashiest of additions. But he can rush the passer, and provides depth at a position of need.

    Lots of cap questions. Here's where he stand according to the very good Over the Cap website.


    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

  10. #60
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    in the 2018 draft we knew bell was going to cost big bucks. they could have been proactive and drafted someone high like rashard penny jump ahead of seattle by trading a 3rd day pick)
    sony michel and ronald jones at the beginning of the 2nd round

    instead we drafted a SS where some mocks had him going in the 3rd round. a postion where we just failed to develop a 2nd rounder a few years prior

    our rivals in the north, with the 2nd best ranked defense this year, start two 6th round picks.
    so either their coaching staff is doing a much better job (shocker) at developing these players into their system or their team scouts are doing much better job at finding late round talents.
    something has to change in order to keep up



    in 2019, here's a list of draft. there are plenty of guys with the trade up to 10 or staying put at 20 and keeping the extra picks who could have helped
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft
    This shows management's recent inability to plan ahead at certain positions. A tendency to want to be too loyal to players when in today's NFL, you can't be too loyal anymore. This isn't 1980 anymore.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •