Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin on how to fix the dropped passes

Legend

User Info Menu

Gonna help the coaches and receivers out a little:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Yesterday a couple of my daughter's friends were here and one of them mentioned that she had used on her parents "at least I'm not a druggie" and I replied with "as a dad I can tell you that your parents have set the bar higher for you than hopefully she won't become addicted to drugs".

This statement about McDonald is the football equivalent of "at least I'm not a drug addict."
    But ... but ... but ... he has a vicious stiff-arm ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    But ... but ... but ... he has a vicious stiff-arm ...
    It's funny. The guy can go the rest of the season without catching a ball, get cut in the off-season, and when asked about what you remember most about Vance as a Steeler, 99% will mention that play.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's funny. The guy can go the rest of the season without catching a ball, get cut in the off-season, and when asked about what you remember most about Vance as a Steeler, 99% will mention that play.
    has he had any other good plays as a Steelers that would be memorable?

Legend

User Info Menu

reading some comments elsewhere that maybe DJ is too soft to play WR in the NFL... hearing footsteps, running scared, afraid of hits.... maybe another reason for the drops?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    has he had any other good plays as a Steelers that would be memorable?
    starting games and then doing a Duce Staley in the second half is what he is best known for besides the stiff arm.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

START HIM

Diontae Johnson WR
    PITTSBURGH • #18

Mike Tomlin's comment about Diontae Johnson responding "appropriately" to his benching and then being productive in the second half last week leads me to believe Johnson will get another chance to start this week against Cincinnati. In a way, the Steelers don't have a choice. The offensive line is a major liability, especially in the run game, so Ben Roethlisberger has to be the center of the Steelers offensive universe. That's not anything new to Pittsburgh, but Johnson's been his most-targeted receiver thanks to a recent stretch of six straight games with at least 10 targets (he even had seven last week when he was benched nearly 10 minutes in!). Cincinnati's secondary may try to mimic what the Bills did to the Steelers last week, but they're not as good. They've allowed at least one touchdown to a receiver in 10 of their past 12 games, and the Steelers receiving corps crushed the Bengals back in Week 10. I'd expect Johnson to have a shot at a good game, making him worth starting one more time assuming you don't have safer options.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...tasy-playoffs/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He’s like Clowney when he was at South Carolina after he crushed the Michigan player. He couldn’t top that play so just sit out and live off the replay for a few years.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Diontae Johnson going to go off on Monday night.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 12-17-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Diontae Johnson: Progress, potential and motivation

Mar 01, 2021
    Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

For Diontae Johnson, his second season in the NFL had a little bit of everything. There were the ups and downs, the good moments, and the disappointments.
    But overall, there was one thing that was consistent across the board.

Progress.

"I saw progress in all aspects of my game," said Johnson. "In my route running, knowing the game more, route coverages. Everything.

"Just by you knowing the coverage of the defense it lets you know what moves you need to make, what release you need to take, how much depth you need to get in your route. All those things come together just by you knowing the coverage of the defense. It allows you to play more smoothly and to not have to think. I have matured at every level, high school, college, and now. I feel like my play showed that this year.

"Other than those drops, my game was at the top and I felt like I played well."

'Those drops' Johnson referred to were something that plagued Steelers' receivers in 2020, and Johnson had his share. And it ate away at him. He didn't have to read the comments on social media to beat himself up even more, but he did because when you see your name keep popping up, it's hard to ignore. When someone is ripping you, even behind a keyboard, it's hard to ignore. No matter how hard you try, no matter what advice you get, it's hard to ignore.

"I let it get in my head," said Johnson. "I see people on social media bash my name. It's not like you don't see it. It's there. It's hard to put it to the side, but when you see it, it's going to be in the back of your mind. That is how it got a hold of me. I tried not to think about it. But it's in the back of my mind during practice. In the games I am like, 'Bro, catch the ball.'"

It got to the point where Johnson was pulled by Coach Mike Tomlin from the Steelers Week 14 game against the Buffalo Bills after dropping two passes in the first half. It was a turning point, where instead of letting it get to him and pouting and complaining, he turned it into a positive and rebounded, earning praise from Tomlin for how he handled it.

"By Coach Tomlin pulling me out of the game, doing it like he did it, once he did that, I knew I had to tighten up and catch the ball," said Johnson. "Point blank period. If nothing else I have to catch the ball. I had to get my mind right. I didn't throw a temper tantrum or anything, that isn't how you handle certain situations. Everyone handles things their own way. No matter what it is, someone is going to critique you. You just add it to the fire. You just have to shut out the noise. Like Coach (Darryl) Drake used to tell us, you just shut out the noise. You just have to focus on yourself and be you. Don't overthink everything, just be you. When you do that and shut out the noise, you will be fine.

"Once I did that, things started flowing for me. It's football. If you aren't doing your job, someone else is going to take your spot. I wasn't doing my job, which was catching the ball, so he pulled me out. I respect that.

"I bounced back. I had to bounce back. I had a lot of eyes on me, people counting on me. I couldn't fold. I came too far to just go into the gutter. I had to come back and show them I am still Diontae Johnson. I showed that and will continue to show that this upcoming season."

https://www.steelers.com/news/progre...and-motivation
    1.24 Najee Harris RB Alabama / Travis Etienne RB Clemson
    2.55 Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma / Landon Dickerson C Alabama / Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater
    3.87 Spencer Brown OT N Iowa / James Hudson OT Cincinnati / Stone Forsythe OT Florida
    4.128 Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas / Kary Vincent Jr CB LSU
    4.140 Patrick Jones II OLB Pitt
    6.216 Tre' McKitty TE Georgia