Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated Steeler

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Edmunds is a great punching bag for fans. Half of them are just jumping on the bandwagon to bash him but its not actually based on his performance.
    I think the jury is still out on Edmunds. The team declined his 5th year option which is telling.

Heís a great athlete. A good role player. Often in really good position in coverage. Mostly in good position to make plays in general. Does a good job playing the man but not the ball.

I do think the way heís playing, the Steelers might wish they had picked up his 5th year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Edmunds. The team declined his 5th year option which is telling.

Heís a great athlete. A good role player. Often in really good position in coverage. Mostly in good position to make plays in general. Does a good job playing the man but not the ball.

I do think the way heís playing, the Steelers might wish they had picked up his 5th year.
    I hope we can sign him after this year for a reasonable medium term deal. But I think it will have to be done early because we won't use the franchise tag to prevent him negotiating with other teams. And the transition tag ($11M) is significantly more than his 5th year option would have been ($6.7M).

Maybe we would have given him the option if the prices for 5th year options didn't change?

I wonder if that will reduce the value of 1st round picks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I hope we can sign him after this year for a reasonable medium term deal. But I think it will have to be done early because we won't use the franchise tag to prevent him negotiating with other teams. And the transition tag ($11M) is significantly more than his 5th year option would have been ($6.7M).

Maybe we would have given him the option if the prices for 5th year options didn't change?

I wonder if that will reduce the value of 1st round picks?
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Buffalo go after him to reunite him with his brother
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

He’s a great athlete. A good role player. Often in really good position in coverage. Mostly in good position to make plays in general. Does a good job playing the man but not the ball.

I do think the way he’s playing, the Steelers might wish they had picked up his 5th year.
    At ~$6.7MM for the option it is quite telling. That's only about 3.25% of the minimum cap for next year. Wonder if they tried to work out an extension or if it's just totally wait and see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hackjam View Post
    At ~$6.7MM for the option it is quite telling. That's only about 3.25% of the minimum cap for next year. Wonder if they tried to work out an extension or if it's just totally wait and see.
    Yeah, Iím thinking they could have thrown him some money for a multi year deal at a much lower annual number that he would have taken.

That makes me think they just didnít want him. And realistically, they can probably get a decent S at $2-$3m per year that will provide as much value.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, Iím thinking they could have thrown him some money for a multi year deal at a much lower annual number that he would have taken.

That makes me think they just didnít want him. And realistically, they can probably get a decent S at $2-$3m per year that will provide as much value.
    A decent starting caliber Safety isn't going to sign for $2-3m

Best to keep Edmunds for a little more. He has gotten better each year
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

He’s a great athlete. A good role player. Often in really good position in coverage. Mostly in good position to make plays in general. Does a good job playing the man but not the ball.

I do think the way he’s playing, the Steelers might wish they had picked up his 5th year.
    I don’t think we will regret it but who knows..

I didn’t expect Hilton to get paid
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

SNR was talking about another player that could be added to the underrated list; Zach Gentry. Said his blocking has elevated to the point that if he gained another 40 lbs he could almost be playing as an OL. How's that for a career path, from QB to TE to OL?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A fun look back.....

Good call on Edmunds. The only safeties in his draft class that are better are Fitz and Bates. Edmunds has consistently played 90+% of defensive snaps. Not so with Bates or the other safeties. Edmunds might not be special, but he is always on the field, understands the defense, and not afraid to stick his nose in on tackles. Sure, he has some misses but even Fitz has had his gaffes.
    I think the Steelers will offer him a strong average contract.

Too early to give an underrated on 2021 Steelers but the early running for me; Schobert, and Haden (teams are barely looking his way on passes, he's that sound).
    Guess I need to walk back the comment on Schobert. BTSC broke down his game against Seattle. Boy was he terrible against the run. He may be the reason why Butler put Spillane on the field. But the root problem? Wormley flat out sucks on the DL. Constantly being run out of plays and opening huge lanes for the RB. Look for Browns to do the same. The Steelers are just lacking horses on the DL unless Loudermilk can step up his game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wormley has been the second coming of Ziggy Hood