Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

Steelers offensive line’s run-blocking ‘below par’

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Four current members of the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line break the huddle along with quarterback Masn Rudolph (2) during a game last season. Offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett said his unit is aware it needs to improve its run blocking this season.

After an early strong start to the season in the running game, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t getting results from their run-blockers.

The men who comprise the bulk of those responsibilities recognize the problem, too.

“They’re spinning the bit,” offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett said of his unit’s recent failings in run-blocking. “They know it. It starts at the top. We were below par on all of it. That’s something these guys take great pride in and the coaches take great pride in, you know. We’re the same way. We’re just going to keep working at it. We’re going to make it better. We have to get better at it. They know we have to get better at it. The players know. They spend as much time watching film as anybody else. It’s just one of those deals. Like you just said, jelling early. It happens sometimes. We just have to keep working.”

The Steelers have totaled 188 rushing yards over their past three games, an average of 62.7 per contest while averaging 3.2 per carry in that time.

For perspective, over the full season that would rank the Steelers last in the NFL in yards per carry and per game.

Even while taking into account that the Steelers had a 100-plus yard individual rusher in four of their first five games, they have fallen to 19th in the NFL in rushing yards per game and 23rd in yards per carry,

The subjective data and more advanced metrics paint an even uglier picture for the Steelers offensive line in the running game. Pro Football Focus rates them as the league’s second-worst in run blocking. Footballoutsiders.com pegs the Steelers as the sixth-worst in the NFL in “Adjusted line yards,” a metric that takes into account the length of carries, down, distance, situation, opponent, and the difference in rushing average between shotgun compared to standard formations.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ing-below-par/
    We're 10-0 Baby!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

To be that consistently bad over multiple games tells me something is systemically wrong. Looking at some advanced rushing stats, the guards are not getting it done. And I don't think the scheme is doing enough to help create openings or get defenses spread out. Someone mentioned too many runs out of the gun but Conner averages 4.7 yds from that formation vs 3.6 yds when under center.

I also think they give up too quickly on the run because Roethlisberger is impatient with it. You can sometimes see it in his body language after a run for no gain.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure its fixable because we got who we got.

I do wonder if we could actually score TDs on our first posessions whether we would be able to commit more to the run versus starting to air it out.

Also, lets not miss the point that our receiver talent is far better than our RB talent. We have far more playmakers at WR than RB and it ain't close

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm not sure its fixable because we got who we got.

I do wonder if we could actually score TDs on our first posessions whether we would be able to commit more to the run versus starting to air it out.

Also, lets not miss the point that our receiver talent is far better than our RB talent. We have far more playmakers at WR than RB and it ain't close
    Valid points Ovi. What is strange is that the Steelers rushing game started out very strong, with 100 yd rushers for the first few weeks. Then defenses suddenly shut them down and there's been no visible progress on getting it going again. And of course, everyone's fear is having Rudolph step in and try to run a Roethlisberger offense..... game over man. (I read he is getting extra snaps this week, "just in case")

Legend

User Info Menu

Spread the offense out with 3 and 4 WRs sets. Conner is a good blocker in the backfield and runs pretty well out of the shotgun when there's room and everything's not bunched up at the LOS and we can't block everyone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I’m of the opinion that we need a fullback in there. Sure Derek Watt has been hurt but Roosevelt Nix is just sitting around waiting on a phonecall should the Steelers be so inclined.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In upcoming drafts, we need to look for OL who can run block. Dotson looks like a good start.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dare I say..." Seems " like we ran better when Dotson was in the there, as opposed to Decastro...No proof beyond my eye test, maybe someone can produce facts

Legend

User Info Menu

They've got to try and do something; just can't sit here and be inadequate at running the ball. We are in a position (record wise) to tinker and try and get if corrected; if it can be corrected.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Oline definitely needs to get better. Especially in 3rd or 4th and short.

I think two factors that hurt run games chances of being established vs the Ravens and Cowboys were the time of possession and 3rd down %. Time of possession vs the Ravens was 24:38 and 3 for 9 on 3rd down. TIme of possession vs the Cowboys was 26:36 and 5 for 13 on 3rd down. I am not sure how often the Ravens and Cowboys stacked the box daring the Steelers to throw. Ben and the WRs need to make teams pay with big plays when the box is stacked against the run.