Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edmonds

Legend

User Info Menu

Edmonds

OK, it might be time to stop hating on T Edmonds. Either the coaching staff finally figured out what his role is or the light is starting to come on for the guy. Two passes defensed yesterday bringing his total I think to 5 on the season. Plus a real nice tackle on Henry for a one yd gain. Only two missed tackles on the season (Fitz has 4 already).

stop the hate....

Legend

User Info Menu

I've always thought Edmonds is in the vicinity of making a big play but is often a half step short.

I'm still in the he's good, but not great camp and if he can get over the hump and start making some splash plays, the tide will turn for better days ahead.

He's a heck of an athlete, but it hasn't all come together yet.

Being an optimist, it took a while for everything to start clicking for Bud.

Starter

User Info Menu

Couldn't you at least spell his name correctly, Edmunds. I think he is playing very well. He is athletic. He is sure and tough, wrap up tackler. It is coming together. He is having a good season. Right now he playing better than Fitzpatrick, He is a better athlete than Nelson or Hayden. He does not as of yet have a pick, this year but has been close. He did make the nice sack early in the season to seal a win. He has five passes defensed to be among team leaders.

I think all the criticism aimed at him before this year was misguided and idiotic. He is an elite athlete. He comes from a football centric family so he has a tradition to live up to. He is far better than what you could find in the 4th or 5th round. Even in his first two developmental seasons, he wasn't bad because he was still a leader in tackles. But his recognition to make a play was a bit slow. I knew it would just take time and experience for him to improve recognition and play speed. He is 23 and in his third season. So from my point of view, that was no excessively long time to "Start to get it".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You still have those who will say he doesn’t belong on any NFL team. Those people are sheep tho and just repeating what they have seen others say on the internet. It’s not based on any film, just hating to try and run with a certain crowd.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Edmunds would be benched if he wasn't doing his job. Similar to what eventually happened with Burns. The true answer with how the Steelers feel about Edmunds will come contract extension time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Being a first round draft choice brings higher expectations. Thatís the way it is for every team in the league.

This year he has certainly improved, heís always been a good tackler but he has not been a game changer. 6 games into his 3rd year he has 1 interception (none since week 3 of his rookie year), 0 forced fumbles, and 2 sacks (the Denver sack could have been made by a high school player. He was unblocked at the line and the RB literally stepped out of his way).

Saying he doesnít belong on an NFL or done nothing for this team is an extreme take but itís fair to say he has not lived up to being a first rounder. Maybe that changes by the end of the season. Hopefully so b/c we should all want him to be great.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Couldn't you at least spell his name correctly, Edmunds. I think he is playing very well. He is athletic. He is sure and tough, wrap up tackler. It is coming together. He is having a good season. Right now he playing better than Fitzpatrick, He is a better athlete than Nelson or Hayden. He does not as of yet have a pick, this year but has been close. He did make the nice sack early in the season to seal a win. He has five passes defensed to be among team leaders.

I think all the criticism aimed at him before this year was misguided and idiotic. He is an elite athlete. He comes from a football centric family so he has a tradition to live up to. He is far better than what you could find in the 4th or 5th round. Even in his first two developmental seasons, he wasn't bad because he was still a leader in tackles. But his recognition to make a play was a bit slow. I knew it would just take time and experience for him to improve recognition and play speed. He is 23 and in his third season. So from my point of view, that was no excessively long time to "Start to get it".
    You're funny with your revisionist history. I don't care what kind of athlete a player is, it's all about making plays. Edmunds was far from a sure, tough tackler. He led the Steelers in missed tackles in 2019. He was also the only secondary player with significant snaps that did not have an interception. The comments were spot on at the time.
    This season he has shown progress each week and I also think the coaches are using him closer to the line which suits his game better. So it's been a win-win so far. But the early comments were not unfounded.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You're funny with your revisionist history. I don't care what kind of athlete a player is, it's all about making plays. Edmunds was far from a sure, tough tackler. He led the Steelers in missed tackles in 2019. He was also the only secondary player with significant snaps that did not have an interception. The comments were spot on at the time.
    This season he has shown progress each week and I also think the coaches are using him closer to the line which suits his game better. So it's been a win-win so far. But the early comments were not unfounded.
    I was talking this season. He has been a sure, tough tackler. I didn't say 2019. I did say he was a team leader in tackles before, which is indicative of some ability. Athleticism, effort, a certain nose to make the play. People have different perspectives. I am a patient person, more so than a lot, so I don't have the expectation that every player, whether drafted in the first round or later will make the pro-bowl or look like a sure fire HOFer from the first day of minicamp.

He was drafted as a junior, I think, was injured his last season in college; so he was lacking in experience at the position he would play in the NFL. I take things like that into consideration and give players a little break before I condemn them. He was good enough to start for the Steelers, which is an accomplishment, even if they really didn't expect him to. Secondary positions generally take time for a player to develop. Most positions take some time at the NFL level to develop, except perhaps running back. So, from my point of view the criticism was hasty and extreme. Similar to calling Troy Polamalu bustamalu and many others busts before they had a chance to develop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I was talking this season. He has been a sure, tough tackler. I didn't say 2019. I did say he was a team leader in tackles before, which is indicative of some ability. Athleticism, effort, a certain nose to make the play. People have different perspectives. I am a patient person, more so than a lot, so I don't have the expectation that every player, whether drafted in the first round or later will make the pro-bowl or look like a sure fire HOFer from the first day of minicamp.

He was drafted as a junior, I think, was injured his last season in college; so he was lacking in experience at the position he would play in the NFL. I take things like that into consideration and give players a little break before I condemn them. He was good enough to start for the Steelers, which is an accomplishment, even if they really didn't expect him to. Secondary positions generally take time for a player to develop. Most positions take some time at the NFL level to develop, except perhaps running back. So, from my point of view the criticism was hasty and extreme. Similar to calling Troy Polamalu bustamalu and many others busts before they had a chance to develop.
    I agree with you, people forget that he's still only 23 years old.

Legend

User Info Menu

The frustration of fans was selecting such a developmental prospect in Rd 1. Rd 1 should be reserved for demonstrated playmakers.

The positive for the Steelers is that his second contract should come fairly cheap due to his body of work to this point. If Edmunds continues his growth it will end up good value at the position.