Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A different perspective on the second half.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A different perspective on the second half.....

So here's the scenario. I was working all day today. Had the chance to watch the entire first half and was absolutely stoked. Then the second half - I was unable to watch or listen and had nothing other than watching the score change and seeing that 20 point lead evaporate.

So, being a lifelong steeler fan and having seen this before - I'm bleeding out my eyeballs because I envisioned the Steelers coming out in the second half planning on nothing but James Conner and going turtle, the Titans stuffing the line because we're predictable and taking advantage of 3 and outs to make it a game.

But that's NOT what happened.

Finally had a chance to watch the second half.

The Steelers did NOT take their foot off the gas. They kept the pressure on. The simple truth is, this game became close because of 4-5 really poor decisions by Ben that either led to turnovers or ended drives. I've rarely seen a game where balls were constantly tipped - yet tipped in the Titans favor. Even that long 3rd down the titans converted started with a tipped ball - yet they kept bouncing in Tenn's favor. crazy.

Ben should NOT have thrown that pick at the end of the first half. He should NOT have thrown into triple coverage with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. You take those 6 points and a few bounces go our way? This game is never close. The NFL is a crazy league.

But even WITH those turnovers, decisions and bad bounces - the Steelers are 6-0. This game will likely have huge implications with seeding at the end of the season. Next week will as well.

I thought I'd be coming to the board screaming about coaching, turtles etc. I'm thrilled that's not the case. I think the team was well prepared, well coached and weathered a storm. This was a character building win for the team.

Now let's go crush the Rats and things will really start picking up steam.

Oh and as a final thought - I've set my DVR to damn near every talking head show tomorrow. Should be a fun day of post-game analysis!!!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    So here's the scenario. I was working all day today. Had the chance to watch the entire first half and was absolutely stoked. Then the second half - I was unable to watch or listen and had nothing other than watching the score change and seeing that 20 point lead evaporate.

So, being a lifelong steeler fan and having seen this before - I'm bleeding out my eyeballs because I envisioned the Steelers coming out in the second half planning on nothing but James Conner and going turtle, the Titans stuffing the line because we're predictable and taking advantage of 3 and outs to make it a game.

But that's NOT what happened.

Finally had a chance to watch the second half.

The Steelers did NOT take their foot off the gas. They kept the pressure on. The simple truth is, this game became close because of 4-5 really poor decisions by Ben that either led to turnovers or ended drives. I've rarely seen a game where balls were constantly tipped - yet tipped in the Titans favor. Even that long 3rd down the titans converted started with a tipped ball - yet they kept bouncing in Tenn's favor. crazy.

Ben should NOT have thrown that pick at the end of the first half. He should NOT have thrown into triple coverage with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. You take those 6 points and a few bounces go our way? This game is never close. The NFL is a crazy league.

But even WITH those turnovers, decisions and bad bounces - the Steelers are 6-0. This game will likely have huge implications with seeding at the end of the season. Next week will as well.

I thought I'd be coming to the board screaming about coaching, turtles etc. I'm thrilled that's not the case. I think the team was well prepared, well coached and weathered a storm. This was a character building win for the team.

Now let's go crush the Rats and things will really start picking up steam.

Oh and as a final thought - I've set my DVR to damn near every talking head show tomorrow. Should be a fun day of post-game analysis!!!
    I still don't get the turtle hate. THIS IS WHY you turtle ��

They basically said we NEVER lose after a 21 point lead...I cannot recall the last time we were so close to losing that kind of lead.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Turtle is outdated. Teams are too good at scoring quick with today’s rules and QB protection. We were lucky the FG was missed, Ben sure thought so based on his expression. The last several years has shown no lead is safe - just ask Atlanta.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I have no issue with turtle-ball if you have Jerome Bettis in his prime and an offensive line that no one can penetrate. Then you just keep getting first downs, draining the life out of the game clock. We have a decent run game but it ain't that. No place for turtle-ball with this team unless we're playing a team that just can't stop our run game when they know it's coming.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I have no issue with turtle-ball if you have Jerome Bettis in his prime and an offensive line that no one can penetrate. Then you just keep getting first downs, draining the life out of the game clock. We have a decent run game but it ain't that. No place for turtle-ball with this team unless we're playing a team that just can't stop our run game when they know it's coming.
    We actually HAVE run out the clock THIS SEASON, albeit a couple of drives at most. We looked good doing it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Sort of aggravated with many Steeler fans with their comments about the game yesterday, particularly the second half. These were two 5-0 teams. Steelers did to them in the first half what they did to us in the second half. This was truly a game of two half's. At the end of the first half is my biggest gripe. I believe we had time for a sideline out or short pass up the middle to get another 5 yards and spike the ball to get a field goal attempt. The tip ball straight up was no one's fault. The last INT was a solid defensive play, shame it cost us 3 points. That is three stopped possessions or non scoring drives against a great team. We did not collapse or go turtle. Once again two 5-0 teams one (Tenn) having the number one rushing game. Pittsburgh won the first half, Tenn won the second half. Game ended with the good guy's having 3 more points.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

They basically said we NEVER lose after a 21 point lead...I cannot recall the last time we were so close to losing that kind of lead.
    This.

We were running great and had a huge lead.

Even if you get stopped, running the ball runs clock. It also keeps the D rested.

How many more possessions are they going to get?

Turnovers and penalties in the 2nd half almost cost us this game. This will lose you games no matter what the play calls are.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-26-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Turtle is outdated. Teams are too good at scoring quick with todayís rules and QB protection. We were lucky the FG was missed, Ben sure thought so based on his expression. The last several years has shown no lead is safe - just ask Atlanta.
    I think it depends on the team you're playing against.

I wouldn't want to turtle against the Chiefs.

But I don't mind slowing the game down when up big against a heavy run team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, the 2nd half (and, the last play of the 1st half) are not changing because Ben has been doing this for 17 years. You take the good with the bad and hope you can hold on to win, the Steelers held on and won yesterday despite a couple bad decisions by Ben. I am really going to miss him when he finally hangs it up. He makes the game exciting and fun to watch, he'll take a shot downfield at any time on any down and distance. I don't know what the Steelers will look like once he hangs it up but I doubt the games are as exciting.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When up 21. Run the damn ball. Especially with this Fitner playbook. I could see if it was RUTM but he’s been using misdirection and jet sweeps.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?