Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A different perspective on the second half.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Ben should NOT have thrown that pick at the end of the first half. He should NOT have thrown into triple coverage with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. You take those 6 points and a few bounces go our way? This game is never close. The NFL is a crazy league.
    On both plays, I didn't understand why he didn't take the open pass underneath: to Diontae (i think) right before halftime and let him get out of bounds and kick the FG. On the triple coverage pass, I'm fairly certain i recall an underneath route open as well.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2021 Mock Draft
    1. Jamie Newman, QB, UGA
    2. Jabril Cox, ILB, LSU

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why do they not have a play that can get them 2 yards? 3rd and 2 and it's a throw to Claypool at the line or a bit behind that gets 1 yard. (as a side note - there's no way there was even enough time that play for Samuels to commit PI. BS call). Why not a handoff and if you don't get it you are at the 9 yard line for a an almost guaranteed FG. And then after getting moved back to the 19 why are you not playing it safe to either get a few yards or throw it away and it's still a near lock for Boswell. Suspect play calling at the end.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Why do they not have a play that can get them 2 yards? 3rd and 2 and it's a throw to Claypool at the line or a bit behind that gets 1 yard. (as a side note - there's no way there was even enough time that play for Samuels to commit PI. BS call). Why not a handoff and if you don't get it you are at the 9 yard line for a an almost guaranteed FG. And then after getting moved back to the 19 why are you not playing it safe to either get a few yards or throw it away and it's still a near lock for Boswell. Suspect play calling at the end.
    They have the plays. But Ben is notorious for wanting to attack down the field on 3rd and short. He's said it's because he often gets a favorable coverage in that situation. But he still needs to improve on situational decisions and know when it's better to just get a few yards.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After watching Ben’s presser, I’m not so opposed to the throw. He had JuJu on a LB straight up the seam. I think he’s right. If he throws a slightly higher ball they get a TD. If he misses, 9 out of 10 times the ball falls incomplete.

It was just that kind of half. Like I said above, every bounce went the Titans way it seemed.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I still don't get the turtle hate. THIS IS WHY you turtle ��

They basically said we NEVER lose after a 21 point lead...I cannot recall the last time we were so close to losing that kind of lead.
    Yeah remember that crazy stat starting under Cowher where the steelers were 101-1-1 when leading by 11 points at the half?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I have no issue with turtle-ball if you have Jerome Bettis in his prime and an offensive line that no one can penetrate. Then you just keep getting first downs, draining the life out of the game clock. We have a decent run game but it ain't that. No place for turtle-ball with this team unless we're playing a team that just can't stop our run game when they know it's coming.
    The reason some of us hate turtle ball is we remember its history - and not just Tomlin and the Steelers. Cowher came from the Schottenheimer coaching tree. Marty was a really good coach at one time - one of the very few coaches in the modern era (80's through now) who made the Browns legit contenders. MS built teams with physical Ds and power rushing. Not only did he build teams as such in the later 80's in Cleveland, but he replicated that model in KC as well, where he also turned them into legit contenders. (Remember those KC teams with the "Nigerian Nightmare," Barry Word, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, John Alt, Dave Szott, etc.)

Like the Browns, some of those KC teams also were legit contenders. But...like the Browns, they never got over the hump to make it to the big show. And, increasingly, the blame was placed at the feet of MS for not having enough of a passing threat to do so. Racking up wins in the regular season would be achieved with the great OL play, rushing game and solid D, but come postseason, it seemingly wasn't enough.

Enter Bill Cowher. He also built teams like MS did. And, come the postseason, he also seemed to fall to the "turtle game" model. We would enter the playoffs, high flying as a contender, and make it to how many AFCC games - many at home - only to come up short. BC had great Ds, OLs and rushing games, but come playoffs, the formular failed. We had decent QBs (O'Donnell) but not franchise QBs. (He did make it to one big show, but lost before Ben.) We never added new hardware until we did in fact add a legit franchise QB. We still could rush the ball, with the likes of the Bus, but to get over the hump, we needed a legit passing threat.

Any how, for what it's worth, some still feel the pain of the turtle ball mentality, where it often led to loses. Even some of the most prolific teams built with D and rushing had to have that QB that could get it done come the postseason. Cowher thought pure bullheadedness could get the job done, not needing an elite QB. It never produced a ring.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Roethlisberger's average depth of target is something like 5 yds so there are plenty of plays that could get it.
    Ball was bouncing Titans way almost the whole game. What about the overthrown to the Titans TE and landed in the Titan WR hands? That had pick written all over it. Even Fitz's gaffe on the miss tackle was because he slowed for what he thought was gonna be a deflected pass. Some games are like that...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Unfortunately, the 2nd half (and, the last play of the 1st half) are not changing because Ben has been doing this for 17 years. You take the good with the bad and hope you can hold on to win, the Steelers held on and won yesterday despite a couple bad decisions by Ben. I am really going to miss him when he finally hangs it up. He makes the game exciting and fun to watch, he'll take a shot downfield at any time on any down and distance. I don't know what the Steelers will look like once he hangs it up but I doubt the games are as exciting.

Pappy
    Yep. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Still, I hope that he got it out of his system in this one and we see the more controlled Ben we had in games 1 - 5 against the Rats.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Still, I hope that he got it out of his system in this one and we see the more controlled Ben we had in games 1 - 5 against the Rats.
    The problem is defenses are not static, so that offense won't necessarily be the answer going forward. Did you watch the Browns start to jump the quick slants. The offense has to evolve as the opponents adjust. Eventually, the Steelers will need to start connecting more often down field not because they want to but because they will have to. Why not get those reps in now with the game in their favor?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The problem is defenses are not static, so that offense won't necessarily be the answer going forward. Did you watch the Browns start to jump the quick slants. The offense has to evolve as the opponents adjust. Eventually, the Steelers will need to start connecting more often down field not because they want to but because they will have to. Why not get those reps in now with the game in their favor?
    Ben had easy completions on both EZ interceptions, he needs to take them regardless of favorable match-ups downfield. If you're trying to catch up because you're behind, that's different, but trying to add to a lead or put the game away, take the 1st down and gimme FG.

Love Ben, He's in my top 5 of all-time Steelers and I've seen all the great Steelers play. Sometime I wish he would just take what's there and move on.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska