Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A win when they should have lost

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    I’d rather learn a valuable lesson in a win than in a loss any day.

Don’t take your foot off the gas pedal when you have a team on the ropes. Finish them off!
    They didn't take their foot off the gas. The Titans did some things differently in the 2nd half that made life more difficult for the Steelers offense.

The Steelers made game changing mistakes in the 2nd half. Turnovers, poor execution, mistakes, ect are a recipe for the opposition to mount a comeback.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We can't overlook the fact that the Titans also made it to the AFC Championship game last week and that Mike Vrabel might be the smartest coach in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong - it was an earned win and a great win. I just wish they would have played cleaner and smarter in the 2nd half. After the first half the Steelers had me thinking they might be an all-time great team!

Starter

User Info Menu

When Ben threw that pick at end of 1st quarter, I began to worry. There was no need for a hail mary into traffic. Smart play is see what you can get underneath and at least get the field goal. Shows a lack of focus / overconfidence after an admittedly dominating first half performance. But those lost 3 points could have been decisive absent Titanís missed FG.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That was not a "should have lost" game. We won because we should have, in my correct opinion. Two really good teams, and we played well for the most part and played better than the Titans overall.

Ben's interception still pisses me off, but overall a great and tough win. We are for real.

Starter

User Info Menu

Steelers are looking very good this year. They have a balanced offense, and an outstanding attacking defense. I thought the difference in this team was that Ben was not throwing the odd picks that he has in the past. Plus for once in a long while, they have a real threat in kick returns. It is amazing that Ray Ray just kind of fell into their laps after having been cut by other teams.

In the past, Ben has been susceptible to throwing ints in away games, like this game. The Steelers are the better team because they still won, even after losing the turnover battle. I think Ben has been psyched out playing in Baltimore in the past and played poorly and thrown ints. So, the next game will be interesting to see if Ben's woes continues in Baltimore. If he plays solid, I have a lot of confidence in this team. Can't afford any more key injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    That was not a "should have lost" game. We won because we should have, in my correct opinion.

We are for real.
    not many teams are good enough to overcome being minus 3 in turnovers, but we were the better team today.

yes, we are for real but we won't be able to get away with that in Baltimore next week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    not many teams are good enough to overcome being minus 3 in turnovers, but we were the better team today.

yes, we are for real but we won't be able to get away with that in Baltimore next week.
    $$$$
    Hope everyone brings their A+ game for the Steelers against the Rats

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Except we might have lost Spillane, too? Saw him leave with a shoulder injury
    thought I saw him back in the game after he went out

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    They didn't take their foot off the gas. The Titans did some things differently in the 2nd half that made life more difficult for the Steelers offense.
    disagree. their short and intermediate passing game in the 1st half went to just a short passing game, which became predictable and allowed tenn to creep up on their coverages and time the throws better to deflect them at the LOS

up 3 scores isn't insurmountable for good teams. one more drive and score like the first half and then i think they could have become more conservative

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    disagree. their short and intermediate passing game in the 1st half went to just a short passing game, which became predictable and allowed tenn to creep up on their coverages and time the throws better to deflect them at the LOS

up 3 scores isn't insurmountable for good teams. one more drive and score like the first half and then i think they could have become more conservative
    The Steelers short passing game was short because that's how the Titans played on defense. It appeared to me the Titans played more press coverage in the 2nd half which cause the offense some trouble.

Look I am not sure how you define taking their foot off the gas? If you mean the Steelers made mistakes and didn't execute I can agree. The Titans had something to do with the way the Steelers performed in the second half. Need to give the Titans some credit. They are a good team.

The offense had opportunities in the 2nd half. They made mistakes and didn't execute. Games don't boil down to predictability. Games boil down to mistakes and execution. Coaches tell fans this all the time. It shows up in the games. That was truth in this game. Steeler mistakes allowed the Titans to hang around. As a result, the Titans had a chance to win.