Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop hating on VW

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    LJ Fort is a starter earning starter money.
    He wasn't when we let him go

he'd have been plenty affordable if we'd wanted to keep him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    He's not garbage but he definitely has limitations that smart opposing offenses exploit.
    So far, I haven't seen those limitations you speak of. He doesn't need to cover the speedy TEs as long as Edmunds is in there. The way VW is being used has actually resulted in a better defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Where would we be without VW right now?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    very likely in a less good place

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    2 starters down in the middle, hoping there would be another Spillane-type to bring up

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So far, I haven't seen those limitations you speak of. He doesn't need to cover the speedy TEs as long as Edmunds is in there. The way VW is being used has actually resulted in a better defense.
    VW limitation is a lack of speed. VW would be an all pro LB if he had more speed. VW might be slow but he is consistent, steady, and generally won't hurt the defense in a major way. The are reasons why he's been with the Steelers since 2013. The Steelers tried to replace him but they can't. The Steelers seem to be snake bit at the ILB position in recent years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    VW limitation is a lack of speed. VW would be an all pro LB if he had more speed. VW might be slow but he is consistent, steady, and generally won't hurt the defense in a major way. The are reasons why he's been with the Steelers since 2013. The Steelers tried to replace him but they can't. The Steelers seem to be snake bit at the ILB position in recent years.
    I understand VW's athletic limitation is his speed but my point is that the way the defense has been deployed and played so far this season that lack of speed has not been a liability. The real test is this weekend if he gets caught having to chase LJ. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

I understand VW's athletic limitation is his speed but my point is that the way the defense has been deployed and played so far this season that lack of speed has not been a liability. The real test is this weekend if he gets caught having to chase LJ. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
    Yeah..this is when Bush's speed will be missed in the middle.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

caught having to chase LJ is a disaster for 95% of LBs in the league...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2021 Mock Draft
    1. Jamie Newman, QB, UGA
    2. Jabril Cox, ILB, LSU

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    caught having to chase LJ is a disaster for 95% of LBs in the league...
    speaking the truth there