Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shameless gloating about Alualu

Legend

User Info Menu

Shameless gloating about Alualu

I said we would be fine with Aluala. We wont miss a “real” NT.

Even after the game I was told about our being gashed a few times. I looked at the tape. Alualu played less than half the snaps. Those runs? Not in the game. Look it up, Heyward and Tuitt, the only two Dlinemen.

You know what happens when you are a NT and the other team has NO success running on you and you have:

1. 5 total tackles
    2. 1 Sack
    3. 1 Tackles for loss
    4. 2 QB hits
    5. 1 Pass defended.
    6. Only big runs happen when you are NOT in the game.

You wind up joining TJ Watt as one of two Steelers on the Pro Football Focus team of the week:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-2-...wards-and-more

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Alualu played less than half the snaps. Those runs? Not in the game.
    if we had a true NT, he would have prevented those runs whether he was in the game or not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    if we had a true NT, he would have prevented those runs whether he was in the game or not.
    There is a precedent for the value of a true NT you describe.
    Casey did just that when we had the best run defense of his career when he was on the bench injured.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is a precedent for the value of a true NT you describe.
    Casey did just that when we had the best run defense of his career when he was on the bench injured.
    if only we had Chris Hoke today, we would still be undefeated.

oh wait...

Legend

User Info Menu

Even after the game I was told about our being gashed a few times. I looked at the tape. Alualu played less than half the snaps. Those runs? Not in the game. Look it up, Heyward and Tuitt, the only two Dlinemen.

You know what happens when you are a NT and the other team has NO success running on you and you have:

1. 5 total tackles
    2. 1 Sack
    3. 1 Tackles for loss
    4. 2 QB hits
    5. 1 Pass defended.
    6. Only big runs happen when you are NOT in the game.

You wind up joining TJ Watt as one of two Steelers on the Pro Football Focus team of the week:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-2-...wards-and-more
    I'll add to the shameless gloating in that I have repeatedly said you don't need to have an elite Hampton-like NT in today's NFL. Too many have the mental model of what we did with LeBeau is how it has to be done...not true.

Legend

User Info Menu

haven't played a good running team yet.... hold your horses.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    well, he did say shameless gloating. Definitely leaves himself open for later in the season if players have bad games but this is part of what makes a message board fun.

Someone else in here gloated about Snell after the first game and he’s already in hiding after a few fumbles... lol. It’s a long season.

People also floated about Duck after 1 game. That didn’t turn out well either.

Gloat wisely.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well, he did say shameless gloating. Definitely leaves himself open for later in the season if players have bad games but this is part of what makes a message board fun.

Someone else in here gloated about Snell after the first game and he’s already in hiding after a few fumbles... lol. It’s a long season.

People also floated about Duck after 1 game. That didn’t turn out well either.

Gloat wisely.
    Hey, you're talking about me! Not hiding, but am disappointed with Snell's fumbles. He's ruining his own chances for increased snap counts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Saquon Barkley

Rushing

YEAR TEAM G ATT YDS AVG LNG TD 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
    2020 New York Giants 2 19 34 1.8 18 0 1 5.26 0 0 0
    2019 New York Giants 13 217 1003 4.6 68 6 45 20.74 8 3 0
    2018 New York Giants 16 261 1307 5 78 11 50 19.16 16 7 0
    TOTAL 31 497 2344 4.7 164 17 96 19.32 24 10 0

Legend

User Info Menu

If we are shamelessly gloating, I have said since Hargrave left that Alualu would step into the starting role and we would be fine and reiterated it several times since. I have also, in the past, called him our most underrated player, even as a backup. I think it is early to declare this new front 3 without a true NT a success yet, but it is looking good so far.

IMO the reason they are looking good is not because "you don't need a true NT" but because Alualu is that good.