Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shameless Gloating about my take on Dotson

Legend

User Info Menu

Shameless Gloating about my take on Dotson

Got into a debate about Dotson. Was told he cant pass block, I said why did he give up but 3 pressures as a senior in college?
    Tried to reason, to no avail.

What happened?

No sacks no pressures,
    Per Pro Football Focus....THE TOP GRADE IN THE LEAGUE among guards in PASS protection.

First start, camp limited by injuries, no preseason, rookie...top grades in the league.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Got into a debate about Dotson. Was told he cant pass block, I said why did he give up but 3 pressures as a senior in college?

What happened?

No sacks no pressures,
    Per Pro Football Focus....THE TOP GRADE IN THE LEAGUE among guards in PASS protection.

First start, camp limited by injuries, no preseason, rookie...top grades in the league.

I'm happy for us. One game is not a long enough trend, but hopefully it's a sign of things to come. It turns out we needed him and he was decent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Got into a debate about Lamar Jackson. Was told he can't pass and he'll never make it in the NFL. I asked how did he throw 57 TD passes his last two years in college if he can't throw?

What happened?

NFL MVP last season in his second year, completing 66.1% of his passes with 36 TD passes.

but still, a certain someone says "wait, other teams have figured him out." I said how did he complete over 77% of his passes so far this season then?

Tried to reason, but to no avail.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Got into a debate about Lamar Jackson. Was told he can't pass and he'll never make it in the NFL. I asked how did he throw 57 TD passes his last two years in college if he can't throw?

What happened?

NFL MVP last season in his second year, completing 66.1% of his passes with 36 TD passes.

but still, a certain someone says "wait, other teams have figured him out." I said how did he complete over 77% of his passes so far this season then?

START YOUR OWN THREAD...these threads are for me to gloat on...I will not let you dilute my glory.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captain lemming View Post
    start your own thread...these threads are for me to gloat on...i will not let you dilute my glory.
    lolololololol
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 09-22-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

What happened?

BTW, I was wrong about Lamar. I just admit it. It really is not so hard to do.
    Nowadays, I defend the dude so much most people forgot I was on the other side after his rookie season.

I dont know why people stubbornly cling to an opinion despite all evidence an keep spinning angles to delude themselves trying to convince people they are right.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-22-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kevin Dotson passes 1st test as starter on Steelers offensive line

By Tribune News Service

In his first NFL start, Pittsburgh Steelers guard Kevin Dotson pitched the offensive line equivalent of a no-hitter.

Dotson was asked to provide pass protection for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on 42 snaps Sunday in the Steelers' 26-21 victory against the Denver Broncos at Heinz Field.

Roethlisberger was sacked just once, but the pressure didn’t come against Dotson’s spot on the right side of the line. Not only did Dotson help keep Roethlisberger off the ground, he didn’t allow a quarterback hit, pressure or hurried throw.

Pro Football Focus, in its subjective grades, rated Dotson’s performance the best among all guards — veteran or rookie — in terms of Week 2 pass protection.

Not bad for a fourth-round pick from a non-Power 5 school who wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine, missed a week early in training camp with a knee injury and turned 24 just two days before being thrust into a starting job against the Broncos.

Or that Dotson carried the label as a 321-pound road-grading run blocker at Louisiana of the Sun Belt Conference.

“I think I did,” Dotson said Monday when asked if he opened some eyes with his pass protection skills. “The people who know football pretty much know that I am more versatile than being just a run blocker. People who know the position and things like that know I’m not just a run blocker. But it was good to prove it to other people.”

If Roethlisberger was unaware of Dotson’s ability to provide pass protection, he received a crash course. Roethlisberger was so impressed by Dotson’s starting debut he awarded a game ball to the young lineman.

“We were excited for him,” Roethlisberger said. “I mean, the young man grew up a Steelers fan. He told me his dad watches us in his man cave upstairs. I was just so happy that he got out there and got to play. I gave the ball to him and told him to give it to his old man.”

Kelcy Dotson didn’t have to wait long to receive the news. The father phoned his son immediately after the game.

“It was the most excited I’ve ever heard him, how perked he was to hear it,” Dotson said.

Facing Broncos second-year pass rusher Bradley Chubb wasn’t overwhelming for Dotson because he practices every day against Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt and Tyson Alualu on the defensive line and T.J. Watt rushing from the left edge.

“He has a good head on his shoulders as far as knowing what to expect at this level,” Alualu said. “I’m excited about his growth. He’s a strong individual, and I’m happy he got this opportunity and, hopefully, he continues to get better.”

Dotson was part of a reconfigured right side of the offensive line. Injuries landed right tackle Zach Banner and right guard Stefen Wisniewski on injured reserve. With All-Pro guard David DeCastro missing his second consecutive game, Dotson became the next man up and started alongside Chuks Okorafor, who made his third career start at right tackle.

Dotson figures to start as long as DeCastro, who is dealing with a knee injury, remains sidelined. Wisniewski will be out at least two more weeks.

It helped Dotson’s cause that he had eight-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey lined up to his left.

“He’s definitely the leader, and I follow him whatever he says and whatever he wants me to do,” Dotson said. “Chuks was definitely a big help. Really, the entire O-line helped me be comfortable in the game.”

Dotson and Okorafor helped to provide enough protection for Roethlisberger to complete 29 of 41 passes for 311 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. And despite James Conner averaging 3 yards per carry for much of the game, the line helped spring him for a 59-yard run on the final drive that enabled the Steelers to run out the clock.

“You’ve got to tip your cap to (Dotson) for his efforts,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “And Chuks, we know what he is capable of, so we’re not surprised by his performance. It was enough to win.”

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2020...sive-line.html

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I dont know why people stubbornly cling to an opinion despite all evidence an keep spinning angles to delude themselves trying to convince people they are right.
    because Steel Maniac is:

Legend

User Info Menu

lolololololol
    You calling me "lolo" x3 Hawaiian?
    And I thought you was my friend.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was confident Dotson would do OK. IMO he looked better in his first game than Foster did last season. Good find by the scouts.

That said, we will have to really pay attention to the OL in the next couple drafts.