Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Should Our FB Get More Snaps????

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Should Our FB Get More Snaps????

    I know we're enamored with 3 WR sets, we have 2 legit TEs, and our #4 WR right now should probably be on the field every snap as a decoy and matchup nightmare to take pressure off everyone.

    But I like a FB in front of James Conner. James might not be the most complete back in the NFL and he may be injured too often, but he hits a hole hard and runs violently. If you had a consistent FB in front of him on more plays, I think it would help the running game and open up the passing game.

    I'm not even 100% sure of the personnel we should line up the most often. Both of the TEs are playing mediocre so far. I think if we could run more sets with 20 personnel which I totally get is almost never used by most teams, I think this could create some matchup problems and be really effective for the Steelers. Line up Conner and Watt in the backfield. And line up Claypool, DJ, and Juju @ WR to pull guys out of the box.

    And to make this work, you might have to ask Juju to put a hat on some of the 90s players on the DLine.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I'm very surprised we're not using him more...

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'm very surprised we're not using him more...
    Especially for what we're paying him

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Especially for what we're paying him
    exactly, I didn't think we would pay him an average of $3.25 million per year for only his special teams value.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Watt was in and threw a great block on Conner's long run to seal the game at the end.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Watt was in and threw a great block on Conner's long run to seal the game at the end.
    Did we use him at all during the game?

    Not trying to Pooh Pooh the big run at the end but it’s common to have a big run when teams sell out at the end of games on short yardage.

    Would love to see better production during the first 58 minutes of the game.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    It depends on want you want out of a running game. Right now the Steelers running game is as soft as a cotton ball. No team worries about the Steelers running the ball late in the game and that's because they really aren't committed to running the football downhill. Running out of the shotgun formation is soft football, running from the "I" or split backs is power football. I certainly prefer the power running game, particularly since the Steelers have Conner and Snell that can bludgeon a defense and bring heavy load when they hit a hole with momentum on their side. Trying to run the ball by having the back standing still and the QB giving him the ball is soft football and leads to a lot of no gain or short gain runs. It may spring a back occasionally for a long run but it isn't a good formula for running out the clock or wearing down a defense.

    The Steelers aren't using their TEs as it is, take one off the field and put in a fullback and run the ball like the Titans and/or Ravens. Currently, the Steelers rely almost entirely on Ben to run out the clock at the end of games by converting 3rd and 6 or greater nearly every series.

    The defense, imo, isn't playing all that well either, the secondary is giving a lot of big plays, they're committing too many penalties and Minkah has been non-existent but fans continue to jump on Edmunds as the problem. Minkah's tackling has been atrocious, he hasn't been near a ball in the air and he's been sucked in a few times and allowed receivers to get behind him. He's the free safety, no one should be deeper than him, particularly a wide receiver.

    Relying on Ben's arm and the wide receiver's hands will win 8 or 9 games because they're that good but without a running game that wears down a defense the Steelers won't get to 10, 11 or 12 wins, imo.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    It depends on want you want out of a running game. Right now the Steelers running game is as soft as a cotton ball. No team worries about the Steelers running the ball late in the game and that's because they really aren't committed to running the football downhill. Running out of the shotgun formation is soft football, running from the "I" or split backs is power football. I certainly prefer the power running game, particularly since the Steelers have Conner and Snell that can bludgeon a defense and bring heavy load when they hit a hole with momentum on their side. Trying to run the ball by having the back standing still and the QB giving him the ball is soft football and leads to a lot of no gain or short gain runs. It may spring a back occasionally for a long run but it isn't a good formula for running out the clock or wearing down a defense.

    The Steelers aren't using their TEs as it is, take one off the field and put in a fullback and run the ball like the Titans and/or Ravens. Currently, the Steelers rely almost entirely on Ben to run out the clock at the end of games by converting 3rd and 6 or greater nearly every series.

    The defense, imo, isn't playing all that well either, the secondary is giving a lot of big plays, they're committing too many penalties and Minkah has been non-existent but fans continue to jump on Edmunds as the problem. Minkah's tackling has been atrocious, he hasn't been near a ball in the air and he's been sucked in a few times and allowed receivers to get behind him. He's the free safety, no one should be deeper than him, particularly a wide receiver.

    Relying on Ben's arm and the wide receiver's hands will win 8 or 9 games because they're that good but without a running game that wears down a defense the Steelers won't get to 10, 11 or 12 wins, imo.

    Pappy
    Well stated. Do you think it might help to not be running our offense almost exclusively out of the shotgun?

    About our D, if found this interesting write-up from an article by Shannon White at BTSC:

    "With Ben back behind center, the Steelers coaches are confident that the offense will put points on the board, so the defense has come out ultra aggressive. The Steelers pass rush is as formidable as ever, sacking and disrupting the opposing QBs at every turn. However, the constant aggression approach might not be the best style for all their players, or for every upcoming opponent.

    The Steelers are putting additional pressure on their excellent secondary, and are achieving mixed results.

    Steven Nelson had a nice bounce back performance Sunday, but Joe Haden still doesn't seem comfortable with some of the changes. He has picked up a pass interference penalty in both games, and let Broncos WR Courtland Sutton burn him deep for a long gain. Sutton is the definition of a one trick pony. That was unacceptable for a veteran corner.

    Terrell Edmunds played solid as usual, but this week almost made an interception along the sidelines while breaking up a pass, and made the game clinching sack on fourth down to stop the Broncos last drive. But what is going on with Minkah Fitzpatrick? I was touting Fitzpatrick as a DPOY candidate prior to the season, but he is another player that doesn't seem entirely comfortable at this early stage of the season. He seems unsure, borderline tentative at times. Stuck between wanting to be aggressive and make a big play, while also adhering to the integrity of his responsibility on the play. It is honestly a tightrope he is struggling to walk at the moment.

    The Steelers defense is still searching for their identity, between being aggressively dominant and fundamentally sound. Hopefully they will meet in the middle one day soon."
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-22-2020 at 09:28 AM.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Did we use him at all during the game?

    Not trying to Pooh Pooh the big run at the end but itís common to have a big run when teams sell out at the end of games on short yardage.

    Would love to see better production during the first 58 minutes of the game.
    I don't recall seeing him on O other than that play. Agree about the first 58 minutes. But he threw a really nice block on that pay. Seems as if that would be something they could use a lot more often. I'd rather see a back following Watt on 3rd and short than the garbage plays we've seen so far.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Well stated. Do you think it would help to not be running our offense almost exclusively out of the shotgun?
    I don't know, I'm not that great of a football mind. I know what I like though and a power running game is something I like. It helps the defense, controls the clock and limits Ben's number of attempts. The Steelers don't have that right now and probably have no inclination to change. I'd rather see Ben in the 27-33 attempts (or less) per game if possible, he's less likely to make a costly mistake and that usually indicates that the Steelers are controlling the game.

    Just as an example, against the Giants, Ben had 32 attempts, 3 TDs and 0 INTs (plus 3), against the Broncos he had 41 attempts, 2 TDs and 1 INT (plus 1). The Steelers rushed the ball 33 or 34 times vs the Giants and 22 times vs the Broncos. I realize this isn't the way it will work every time when you run the ball as often or more than you pass the ball but it seems over the years with Ben this holds true.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •