Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Concerns About Steelers Offense Or Defense After Two Games?

Legend

User Info Menu

More Concerns About Steelers Offense Or Defense After Two Games?

2020 South Side Questions: More Concerns About Offense Or Defense After Two Games?

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on September 21, 2020

The Pittsburgh Steelers are now into the regular season, following the most unique offseason in the NFL since at least World War II. While it didn’t involve a player lockout, teams still did not have physical access to their players, though they were at least able to meet with them virtually.

Even training camp looked much different from the norm, and a big part of that was the fact that there will be no games along the way to prepare for. Their first football game of the year was to be the opener against the New York Giants.

Question: After two games, do you have more long-term concerns for 2020 with the offense or the defense?

Before we begin, let me just say that it’s quite nice to be worry about this question while sitting at 2-0 for the season. You’re always going to have problems as a team, but as long as you keep winning, at the end of the day, that’s what matters most.

That being said, while they have won both of their games so far this year, they haven’t looked invincible, either. Even when their pass rush looks relentless, they have still allowed offenses to move down the field a fair bit, even with a backup quarterback for most of the way last week. And the Broncos had a lot more success on the ground than the Giants did.

Offensively, inconsistency continues to be there. When you put up over 400 yards, that usually goes with more than 24 points—and you usually are able to convert on third down more than twice on a dozen opportunities.

The running game has had its moments—they’ve managed to produce a 100-yard rusher in each of their first two games—but their success rate per run can use improvement. The quality of the offensive line’s performance as a whole is to be taken into question. And they’re struggling to integrate the tight ends and running backs into the passing game.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/20...ter-two-games/

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Right now, for me, more concern on the defense. I knew the offense would take some time to come together with a freshly rebuilt elbow on Ben. But the defense has been a proven commodity, expected to be one of the NFL's best. It often flashes greatness. But as stated in the article, the success the running game and backup QB of the Broncos had in the 2nd half gives me a little concern.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Right now, for me, more concern on the defense. I knew the offense would take some time to come together with a freshly rebuilt elbow on Ben. But the defense has been a proven commodity, expected to be one of the NFL's best. It often flashes greatness. But as stated in the article, the success the running game and backup QB of the Broncos had in the 2nd half gives me a little concern.
    Boom......
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd say the O.

The D is still very good. The first game they went all out to stop the run, and still did well against the pass except for one play where the Giants had very good execution.

Last game was maybe more concerning for the D, but that's only because the expectations are higher. And turnovers on O are contributing to the concern for the D.

Anything can happen on any Sunday. Just ask KC, who needed OT when they were favored by 8.5.

We'll know more as we play more.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    We'll know more as we play more.
    Always THIS.

We can be thankful we're cutting our 2020 teeth on some average teams. The Texans and Tits will pose bigger challenges than the Giants and Donks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

But we don't even need DTs/NT (as I type this Gordon is still gashing us right up the middle, untouched for 20 yards).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Always THIS.

We can be thankful we're cutting our 2020 teeth on some average teams. The Texans and Tits will pose bigger challenges than the Giants and Donks.
    Houston looks pretty weak (but they often start slow and rebound). I do fear them being 0-2 will wake them up for our game. But there is no question Balt. will be the real litmus test. I fear they will rip us for big chunks up the middle and with Jackson, setting up play action to shred us deep with Hollywood and that TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    But we don't even need DTs/NT (as I type this Gordon is still gashing us right up the middle, untouched for 20 yards).
    Gordon had 19 carries for 70 yards, which is an average of only 3.7 ypc.

and his longest run was for 17 yards, not 20. take that one run out and he averaged less than 3 ypc on his other 18 carries, so I wouldn't exactly call that gashing our defense right up the middle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Houston looks pretty weak (but they often start slow and rebound). I do fear them being 0-2 will wake them up for our game. But there is no question Balt. will be the real litmus test. I fear they will rip us for big chunks up the middle and with Jackson, setting up play action to shred us deep with Hollywood and that TE.
    The Broncos played the Titans tougher than they did us losing by two points...16-14

Legend

User Info Menu

Always THIS.

We can be thankful we're cutting our 2020 teeth on some average teams.
    With that being said, I think we'll be ready for the Texans. I think what Driskell did to us is really going to have us (coaching staff) focused this week on getting sharper back there in the secondary. Or Watson will carve us up.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.