Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Villanueva Breaks Rank

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    If you trust in the head coach then you need to trust he made the right decision in this instance.
    I didn't agree with Tomlin's decision to let AB stay in a posh hotel while everyone else had to stay in the dorms and I'm not sure I agree with this one either.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just me personally: I think this was AV's way of getting additional attention to a man who may have been overlooked for the highest heroism award because of race.

Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn Cashe –

Cashe was wounded while on patrol in Samarra, Iraq, in October 2005, when the Bradley Fighting Vehicle he and his crew were traveling in was hit by an IED.

The explosion ignited the Bradley's fuel cell, severed the rear ramp cable and drenched Cashe in fuel. Soon, Cashe was on fire, his uniform burning and his flesh searing.

Despite that, Cashe helped to remove all six Soldiers from the vehicle and also the body of an interpreter killed by the IED, all while under small arms fire. Through it all, his body continued to burn.

After the scene had been cleared, Cashe insisted on remaining behind until all of his Soldiers had been evacuated.

Cashe was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions, but efforts to see Cashe awarded the Medal of Honor have been underway since then.

Military advocates have questioned whether Cashe’s race played a factor in the Pentagon’s reluctance to award him the Medal of Honor. Cashe served two tours in Iraq and also served in the first Gulf War.

A Facebook group called "SFC Alwyn C. Cashe Deserves the Medal of Honor" has more than 3,200 members, and numerous Soldiers who served with Cashe have continued to campaign for Cashe to be awarded the nation's highest honor.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I didn't like this move by AV, this was a stance by the team against racial injustice, putting tape over the kids name and putting someone elses name over it for something totally unrelated seems totally unnecessary, I mean why not just put the other name above the kids name.
    I agree. His act is getting old and tired. Whole team does something but not the Ranger.. he’s “special”

edit: after reading ghost follow up I will give AV a pass.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 09-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    IMHO which means absolutely nothing, this is the prime example why politics and sports should be kept separate. I'm not saying there is, but situations like this can cause locker-room dissent.

Pro athletes have a wonderful platform to help the less fortunate in society and I sincerely wish they would take a lesson from JuJu's book and help the under priveledged in society. Kudos to JJSS. I hope he is a life-long Steeler.
    You do realize it’s possible to advocate publicly and also help the less fortunate.

JuJu isn’t special. Plenty of professional athletes have foundations and give back to their community.

Athletes and entertainers have tons of influence and using your platform to bring awareness to inequality is a good thing.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree. His act is getting old and tired. Whole team does something but not the Ranger.. he’s “special”
    "Rangers Lead the Way"

Perhaps AV isn't a Lemming who just buys into the media driven PC "groupthink"

As a veteran I do not support turning the National Anthem into a free for all for the societies latest "look at me" fad. As I said earlier, these millionaires need to actually do something versus "push the easy" button for the cameras

Legend

User Info Menu

What!!!! How much are we paying him, we got other prio.. wait

You said "rank" not BANK

Nevermind.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You do realize it’s possible to advocate publicly and also help the less fortunate.

JuJu isn’t special. Plenty of professional athletes have foundations and give back to their community.

Athletes and entertainers have tons of influence and using your platform to bring awareness to inequality is a good thing.
    As I no longer live near Pittsburgh and had not heard of the case I spent my lunch hour reading about it. First and foremost I support the policeman and policewomen as they have a tremendously tough job for pay that is no where near deserving what they do. I watched the available videos and also articles on the web. In this case much like the shooting in North Charleston a few years back by Officer Slager I simply cannot wrap my mind around it. Did the officer in this case wake up and say "I'm going to kill a teenager today"? No way he did that but the facts and the video show the teen posed no threat and was actually running away from the officer. I wanted to see the conditions as well and from the video it was still light. One witness said the officer was stating directly after the shooting "why did I shoot". This is a terrible incident that has affected many people's lives forever. I simply don't know the answer and I'm very sorry this happened. The jury was 6 men, 6 women, 3 of which were African-Americans. The officer was found not-guilty.

As for JJSS there is a recent video circulating with him walking downtown feeding the homeless. He is not recording it or looking for accolades or publicity. I believe if more athletes were like JJSS the world would be a better place. I feel this would go much further than "protesting" during the anthem at sporting events. While I agree many of these athletes are still very young and have much to learn I feel they are being used to cause dissention.

Lastly, yes I feel JJSS is special. At least in my book.

Also, although I have do believe that coach Tomlin has done a remarkable job the past few seasons overall I feel this is a instance that the team should have been updated of coach T's and AV's discussion and decision. I see this in business all the time: "failure to communicate". This is on coach Tomlin.
    Last edited by Chucktownsteeler; 09-16-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    What!!!! How much are we paying him, we got other prio.. wait

You said "rank" not BANK

Nevermind.
    No worries on breaking bank with AV. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wraps it up after this season. This latest drama may seal the deal. He doesn't strike me as a guy needing the NFL like some other players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    No worries on breaking bank with AV. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wraps it up after this season. This latest drama may seal the deal. He doesn't strike me as a guy needing the NFL like some other players.
    Bachelors Degree from a military academy. Finished MBA program in the off season. Multi-Lingual.

He'll be just fine after football. A Financial or International business will snap him up and he will have his choice of jobs. He has probably been smart enough to save his bonus money so he can pick and choose what he does.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This guy is an example to follow