Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Villanueva Breaks Rank

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't like this move by AV, this was a stance by the team against racial injustice, putting tape over the kids name and putting someone elses name over it for something totally unrelated seems totally unnecessary, I mean why not just put the other name above the kids name.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I didn't like this move by AV, this was a stance by the team against racial injustice, putting tape over the kids name and putting someone elses name over it for something totally unrelated seems totally unnecessary, I mean why not just put the other name above the kids name.
    I read where AV got permission from Tomlin and the organization. It's a non-story in my eyes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe AV didn't want to be part of the hypocrisy griping professional sports right now with gestures on all levels that accomplish nothing. You aren't going to solve racial injustice by gestures and prime time demonstrations, many of which turn off 50% of the people, as opposed to really getting involved in the heavy lifting of community involvement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I read where AV got permission from Tomlin and the organization. It's a non-story in my eyes.
    My issue is not with whether or not he had permission, it's with the covering up of the kids name. Too me that was totally unnecessary and disrespectful.

Starter

User Info Menu

My issue is not with whether or not he had permission, it's with the covering up of the kids name. Too me that was totally unnecessary and disrespectful.
    How else would he have placed the other name on his helmet. He asked and was granted permission.

Sports is the ultimate meritocracy and should have been left a s such. This is the problem when politics invades sports. It breaks team unity.

The modern day athlete has many ways to help society. Countless ways beside this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Al Villanueva's helmet change catches Pittsburgh Steelers teammates by surprise

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lers-teammates

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL rule was "a player" was allowed to be displayed. AV felt compelled to display a guy that made the ultimate sacrifice with his life in saving others, rather than a guy that had his life taken for whatever reason. In my mind (and maybe AV's) that is a huge difference. The other guy was honored by the other 48 players.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Maybe AV didn't want to be part of the hypocrisy griping professional sports right now with gestures on all levels that accomplish nothing. You aren't going to solve racial injustice by gestures and prime time demonstrations, many of which turn off 50% of the people, as opposed to really getting involved in the heavy lifting of community involvement.
    if wanting equality and justice turns off half the viewers that just shows why it’s needed.

Crazy how protesting for equality is seems as hating America. It’s almost like this country was built on racism and hate... oh wait?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

AV and Tomlin had a meeting regarding this subject. No of us will ever know why it occurred. But after an adult discussion between a player and the head coach; Tomlin "gave his blessing". Obviously he believed in the reasoning AV presented as being worthy of making this change. If you trust in the head coach then you need to trust he made the right decision in this instance.

Starter

User Info Menu

IMHO which means absolutely nothing, this is the prime example why politics and sports should be kept separate. I'm not saying there is, but situations like this can cause locker-room dissent.

Pro athletes have a wonderful platform to help the less fortunate in society and I sincerely wish they would take a lesson from JuJu's book and help the under priveledged in society. Kudos to JJSS. I hope he is a life-long Steeler.