Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Villanueva Breaks Rank

Legend

User Info Menu

Villanueva Breaks Rank

Like it or not, the guy is consistent with his message:

Pittsburgh Steelers' Alejandro Villanueva replaces Antwon Rose Jr.'s name on his helmet with the name of a slain veteran

By Allen Kim, CNN

Updated 6:03 PM ET, Tue September 15, 2020

(CNN)Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Alejandro Villanueva decided to break with his teammates at their first game of the season Monday night by replacing Antwon Rose Jr.'s name on the back of his helmet with that of a war veteran.

The NFL has allowed players to honor victims of racial injustice by wearing decals on their helmets all season long. The Steelers chose to honor Rose, who was 17 when he was shot and killed by East Pittsburgh police after fleeing during a stop in 2018.
    Villanueva, who served three tours in Afghanistan and received several medals for his service, including the Bronze Star, opted to honor US Army Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn C. Cashe instead.
    Here's how NFL Sunday games highlighted racial inequality in the US
    Here's how NFL Sunday games highlighted racial inequality in the US
    Cashe died in 2005 while serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom. He suffered fatal burns while pulling his fellow soldiers from a vehicle that had been hit by a roadside bomb on October 17 in Samarra, Iraq. He would later die on November 8, 2005 at the Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas.
    Content by RVshare
    Conquer cabin fever safely with RVshare this summer
    From simple camping trips to coast-to-coast explorations, the rentable fleet of 100,000 RVs means you can have outdoor adventures without risking you and your loved ones’ health.
    Fifteen years after his death, the Pentagon is seeking to posthumously award Cashe the Medal of Honor for his heroic efforts. The Medal of Honor is the United States' highest medal for valor in action, and it has been awarded 3,526 times, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.
    Cashe was awarded the Silver Star Medal, and if upgraded to the Medal of Honor, he would be the first Black service member to be honored with that distinction for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.
    This is not the first time Villanueva has broken with teammates over what was supposed to be a unified team decision.In 2017, while the rest of his teammates remained in the tunnel, Villanueva walked out and stood with his hand over his heart during the National Anthem.
    "What people don't understand is people who are taking a knee are not saying anything negative about the military. They're not saying anything negative about the flag," Villanueva said at the time.
    "They're just trying to protest the fact that there is some injustices in America. And for people that stand up for the National Anthem, it doesn't mean that they don't believe in these racial injustices; they're just trying to do the right thing."
    Villanueva and the Pittsburgh Steelers did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/us/al...rnd/index.html

Legend

User Info Menu

love the guy...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    love the guy...
    Yep. Good for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

This guy is an example to follow

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As a vet myself I'm a bit biased - but AV served in combat. In America we all enjoy the right to speak our minds - but I'd say on the Steelers, he can wear whatever name he wants.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great Man!...So much better than putting a Rapist or Criminal on your Helmet!

Legend

User Info Menu

Antwon Rose Jr.s mother criticizes Steelers tackle Alejandro Villanueva for name change on helmet

JOE RUTTER | Tuesday, September 15, 2020

https://triblive.com/sports/antwon-r...nge-on-helmet/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just a solid, true good dude. No bull sh--.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought the NFL was supposedly a “job?” I can’t think of another job including my own where the company could pressure you into having to wear some Causehead decals on your work uniform.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I thought the NFL was supposedly a job? I cant think of another job including my own where the company could pressure you into having to wear some Causehead decals on your work uniform.
    The wording in the article says that the "NFL allowed" players to have these decals, not that they were mandated to.

My guess is that it's like the pink stuff they do for breast cancer awareness. You are allowed to, but not mandated. And they will fine you if you deviate from things that are allowed (like D. Williams).

My guess is that (like Williams), AV will get fined because it's likely that writing a name on the back of your helmet is a uniform infraction. I believe that Williams was fined for wearing pink outside of the allowable time and way back when Ben was fined for writing PFJ on his shoes (which he said stood for Play for Jesus).

The NFL probably feels like they need to be pretty strict with this stuff, otherwise players would (reasonably) start to take money for advertising on their uniforms. This could be especially tricky if someone draws the Reebok symbol on the back of their helmet when the league has a contract with Nike for making jerseys.

But I think there will be a bunch of backlash if they fine AV. And with ratings apparently down at the beginning of the season, the league may be weary of the bad PR. Although I always wonder about ratings drops given that more and more people are probably streaming stuff and I don't think that gets counted. But with a lot of people having a difficult time financially, it's certainly reasonable to imagine that those who hadn't cut the chord before March have done so now...and that people aren't shelling out for the Ticket as much.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 09-16-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158