Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How bout that run defense? AluAlu and coaches deserve props.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Number one in the NFL so far against an elite RB talent.
    So much for the, "AluAlu can't play NT" hand wringing.

A comment about the idea they weren't prepared:

As a strategy, how would you prepare for the Giants? Who would you key on to stop?
    Barkley. Period.
    What happened? Dude got shut down.

Some say the secondary looked blah, and it did. But I noticed something.

Lots of secondary help to shut down the run game. I say we strategically chose to sell out on the pass to make sure the run game was non-existent. Bring the heat to rattle the young passer, and stuff the run at the expense of a little coverage.

I think their QB made real strides and handled the heat better than expected, but overall the strategy worked.

We started rusty on offense but that is to be expected.

But can some of you critics give the coaches credit for a very nice defensive game plan?
    Good observation. Of course we gave up some yards in the passing game. We committed resources to stopping the run and dared them to beat us in the air.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agree. Barkley is just sick. And our defense was better. Great performance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Number one in the NFL so far against an elite RB talent.
    So much for the, "AluAlu can't play NT" hand wringing.

A comment about the idea they weren't prepared:

As a strategy, how would you prepare for the Giants? Who would you key on to stop?
    Barkley. Period.
    What happened? Dude got shut down.

Some say the secondary looked blah, and it did. But I noticed something.

Lots of secondary help to shut down the run game. I say we strategically chose to sell out on the pass to make sure the run game was non-existent. Bring the heat to rattle the young passer, and stuff the run at the expense of a little coverage.

I think their QB made real strides and handled the heat better than expected, but overall the strategy worked.

We started rusty on offense but that is to be expected.

But can some of you critics give the coaches credit for a very nice defensive game plan?
    Let's not pop the bottles of champaign just yet, Tic Toc. It was against the worst team in the last 3 years of football. When they shut down the Ravens' rushing game and things of that nature we can talk then. Talk about an overreaction after one game vs. the worst team in the NFL over the last 3 years!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The defense flashed championship-level play. But there were a few drives, especially the LONG one that started near the Giants goal line, that made me wonder what the heck was going on. Thankfully it resulted in a turn-over in our end zone.
    I love us on this side of the ball. I think once the rust is fully off, we look like the ball hawking defense we saw most of last year.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eich View Post
    agree. Barkley is just sick. And our defense was better. Great performance.
    BOOM
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 09-15-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    It was a solid win and clearly the game plan was well developed. The Giants were a team the Steelers were supposed to beat (on paper). They did so, and in a convincing fashion. I don't think anyone is suggesting there isn't room for improvement and it's only week 1 - but only the most jaded would disagree the team didn't meet expectations for this game.
    Very satisfying for me personally. Run defense...steller. Big Ben, looked good , all things considered (no preseason games). Very satisfying and a good prep game for the next game against the Broncos. Gotta sit on Melvin Gordon like we sat on Barkley.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    BOOM
    I already feel better about my post now!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Let's not pop the bottles of champaign just yet, Tic Toc. It was against the worst team in the last 3 years of football. When they shut down the Ravens' rushing game and things of that nature we can talk then. Talk about an overreaction after one game vs. the worst team in the NFL over the last 3 years!!!!!!
    Ok, the Giants aren't the Ravens but they are also not the worst running team either. They averaged 100+ yds/gm last season, good for 19th in the NFL. And any game where Roethlisberger ends up with more rushing yds than the opponent's RB is still a great performance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Premature overreaction? Really.

That is rich coming from you Mr. "Team was unprepared" 10 minutes into game 1.

Suggestion? Read with the intent to comprehend. Look at what I actually said before commenting so you don't "overreact" with nonsensical replies that have nothing to do with my comment.

Never projected anything. Said nothing about the season. Just gave props for ONE well called game. You see I actually watched the game before judging it.

I suggest you learn to do the same and stop embarrassing yourself.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-15-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ok, the Giants aren't the Ravens but they are also not the worst running team either. They averaged 100+ yds/gm last season, good for 19th in the NFL. And any game where Roethlisberger ends up with more rushing yds than the opponent's RB is still a great performance.
    Well, I can't argue with that. The D was solid.