Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bout that run defense? AluAlu and coaches deserve props.

Legend

User Info Menu

How bout that run defense? AluAlu and coaches deserve props.

Number one in the NFL so far against an elite RB talent.
    So much for the, "AluAlu can't play NT" hand wringing.

A comment about the idea they weren't prepared:

As a strategy, how would you prepare for the Giants? Who would you key on to stop?
    Barkley. Period.
    What happened? Dude got shut down.

Some say the secondary looked blah, and it did. But I noticed something.

Lots of secondary help to shut down the run game. I say we strategically chose to sell out on the pass to make sure the run game was non-existent. Bring the heat to rattle the young passer, and stuff the run at the expense of a little coverage.

I think their QB made real strides and handled the heat better than expected, but overall the strategy worked.

We started rusty on offense but that is to be expected.

But can some of you critics give the coaches credit for a very nice defensive game plan?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was a solid win and clearly the game plan was well developed. The Giants were a team the Steelers were supposed to beat (on paper). They did so, and in a convincing fashion. I don't think anyone is suggesting there isn't room for improvement and it's only week 1 - but only the most jaded would disagree the team didn't meet expectations for this game.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

They shut down the best RB in the NFL. Not bad for a first game with no real camp and no preseason

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Very strong first performance for our D. Good start to the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post

Some say the secondary looked blah, and it did. But I noticed something.

Lots of secondary help to shut down the run game. I say we strategically chose to sell out on the pass to make sure the run game was non-existent. Bring the heat to rattle the young passer, and stuff the run at the expense of a little coverage.

C. Batch said exactly that in his post game wrap-up. Limit Barkley's influence (he had one huge catch and run on a screen) and make Jones make throws. Jones actually did well considering the pressure he was under all night.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The defense flashed championship-level play. But there were a few drives, especially the LONG one that started near the Giants goal line, that made me wonder what the heck was going on. Thankfully it resulted in a turn-over in our end zone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The defense flashed championship-level play. But there were a few drives, especially the LONG one that started near the Giants goal line, that made me wonder what the heck was going on. Thankfully it resulted in a turn-over in our end zone.
    Read elsewhere that the Steelers were subbing in on a lot of snaps during that drive. Ola, Spillane, Highsmith, all had a bunch of snaps. I actually agree with this strategy by Tomlin. It's a long field, get other guys some game snaps, let the first team rest. It's a long season and these backups are gonna be needed along the way. Nice work Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Read elsewhere that the Steelers were subbing in on a lot of snaps during that drive. Ola, Spillane, Highsmith, all had a bunch of snaps. I actually agree with this strategy by Tomlin. It's a long field, get other guys some game snaps, let the first team rest. It's a long season and these backups are gonna be needed along the way. Nice work Tomlin.
    Makes sense and makes me feel better about that drive.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Seeing Ola and Highsmith gave me some serious Harrison/Woodley circa 2008 flashbacks.

Legend

User Info Menu

this would be an amazing stat, even against an average NFL RB, but against Barkley... wow!:

..... if it were not for a pass play where the ball actually travel backwards to Barkley and he gained 7 yards, he would’ve ended the night with a negative rushing total