Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SuperBowl or Bust - Now or Never

Legend

User Info Menu

SuperBowl or Bust - Now or Never

I’ve thought long and hard about a SBOB thread this season.

I still haven’t had the same overwhelming feeling that it was our year since right before the SuperBowl XL season.

I’ve been just as hopeful in many other seasons. But that gut feeling was really a once in a lifetime feeling. Of course we even went on to win Lombardi #6 and I didn’t have the feeling of knowing before that season like I did back in 2005.

And boy oh boy, have I wanted that hunch to return. So much so that I’ve forced it a couple times over the years even though I always knew it wasn’t the same.

That was 15 years ago. Fast forward to today, I need to have that premonition again. There really is no other choice. I’ve gone back and forth in my mind and I know the reality that it’s now or never.

And when I acknowledge that it’s now or never, I know the players and coaches have to have that same feeling too. And that’s what got me over the hump right now.

As weird as 2020 has been, every Steeler player, coach, and fan has to know this might be our last best chance. We’re loaded with weapons on both sides of the ball and this could be Ben’s final triumph. There might not be another chance unless we totally luck into another great QB. And that’s a long shot.

Everyone must know this is it. SuperBowl or Bust. We’ve all gotta be all in on this one and will it to be.

Belief almost always defies logic. And now is a time to start looking at this opportunity with our hearts instead of our minds.

This is going to happen for us at the close of the season. The good guys will be standing on the platform in Tampa at the end of this season, holding up #7.

It’s happening. It has to.

I believe. Do you?

The bandwagon has some vacancies. All aboard!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think our bandwagon will fill up a little more after tonight's win over the Giants.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

The bandwagon will fill up based on one factor. If Ben is back to form, and the reports out of camp indicated that he is, then it won't take long. He usually takes a few weeks to shake off rust from inactivity, but normally doesn't get that much work in the pre-season anyway. If his old body can stand up to 17 weeks of footbal and a playoff run, then this team is a contender. Dude has a lot he wants to prove after hearing reports that he was the locker room cancer, and the cause of the AB meltdown. He has had a year and a half to stew on that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think this will end up being Ben's last very good chance to win.

I think our D will be about as good as last year (although I doubt we get as many turnovers / points scored by the D). But our O shouldn't be terrible even if we just get average Ben (or Ben playing as an average NFL QB).

It's hard to get excited about the NFL these days (or much of anything really).

But, I think the Steelers have a really good shot this year.

What should be a great D. And what I think will be a better O than Ben's first championship ring.

KC will be very good. And so will the Rats.

But I think the Steelers should be very competitive. No time like the present to get another ring.

Punch my ticket Flippy. I'm 100% on the band wagon this year. Bring home another "sticky Lombardi" for the trophy case!

Side note: based on how week 1 has gone in both of my fantasy leagues, my teams will probably not be very good. Historically, I either get good fantasy teams or a good Steelers teams. So things are lining up on that front too!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I think our bandwagon will fill up a little more after tonight's win over the Giants.
    I love it SM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steel maniac View Post
    i think our bandwagon will fill up a little more after tonight's win over the giants.
    boom........

Legend

User Info Menu

Watching yesterday's game, I couldn't help but think, this team is designed to win a SuperBowl.

We have the players to do this. All the pieces are here.

It's all going to come down to Ben and coaching.

Can Ben make smart decisions/plays? He's loaded with options on O, but man did he have some Big Ben moments yesterday. His game teeters on a fine line moreso than just about any other QB in the league. Especially when he has time/makes time. Some of his throws were great and some were atrocious. I really think the play calling needs to get him in a rhythm where he's making fast decisions and throws. He's less dangerous to his own team in those circumstances. I'd even go as far as to suggest they should let Big Ben call his own plays out of the shotgun and run an offense a la Jim Kelly and the Bills. Somehow we need to figure out how to minimize the mistakes still at this point in his career. As good as he is, a lot of times he's just off. Gotta get him into a comfortable groove.

Re: coaching, we have the players and just need to put them in position to succeed. We need to get guys focused and to eliminate the mental mistakes. Overall, we're kinda sloppy. But at the same time this is effectively preseason game 2. I think we have a couple months until we get our act together and just winning now, might pay off down the line.

This team sometimes reminds me of watching Starling Marte for any Pirates fans out there. All the talent in the world, but often wasted because of some reason whether it's a lack of focus, attention to detail, whatever. Or for Penguins fans, I feel like I'm watching Malkin out there. All the talent in the world, but something lacking preventing them from being the dominant team they should be on paper.

All that said, I like that we're getting younger players on the field now as the old guys tire out and think that's going to pay dividends down the stretch so come December and the playoffs, we're rotating in fresh players into the lineup vs going with the old Tomlin method of letting the starters stay on the field forever and take almost all the snaps. While Tomlin is good for slow starts, I like that he gets us rolling later in the season. But often lack of depth has hurt us. I'm excited to see if we might have a little more depth this season. And that could bode well for next year as well when the cap likely decimates this team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love the enthusiasm and optimism and this should be a very fun Steelers team to watch. But I've also watched several other games the past 2 weeks and I came away feeling that there are some pretty explosive offenses out there... KC, Rats, NO, Sea, DAL, even the Bungles and Stains have shown some flashes of offensive explosion.

This will be an interesting year for sure. I tend to agree about coaching. Fichtner needs to do something to get the best out of this group. There is talent on offense all over the place. But some of our plays look so awkward that it looks like he's forcing them to do things they're uncomfortable with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I¬’ve thought long and hard about a SBOB thread this season.

I still haven¬’t had the same overwhelming feeling that it was our year since right before the SuperBowl XL season.

I¬’ve been just as hopeful in many other seasons. But that gut feeling was really a once in a lifetime feeling. Of course we even went on to win Lombardi #6 and I didn¬’t have the feeling of knowing before that season like I did back in 2005.

And boy oh boy, have I wanted that hunch to return. So much so that I¬’ve forced it a couple times over the years even though I always knew it wasn¬’t the same.

That was 15 years ago. Fast forward to today, I need to have that premonition again. There really is no other choice. I¬’ve gone back and forth in my mind and I know the reality that it¬’s now or never.

And when I acknowledge that it¬’s now or never, I know the players and coaches have to have that same feeling too. And that¬’s what got me over the hump right now.

As weird as 2020 has been, every Steeler player, coach, and fan has to know this might be our last best chance. We¬’re loaded with weapons on both sides of the ball and this could be Ben¬’s final triumph. There might not be another chance unless we totally luck into another great QB. And that¬’s a long shot.

Everyone must know this is it. SuperBowl or Bust. We¬’ve all gotta be all in on this one and will it to be.

Belief almost always defies logic. And now is a time to start looking at this opportunity with our hearts instead of our minds.

This is going to happen for us at the close of the season. The good guys will be standing on the platform in Tampa at the end of this season, holding up #7.

It¬’s happening. It has to.

I believe. Do you?

The bandwagon has some vacancies. All aboard!!!!!
    I feel like that until you post this thread every year. It is the kiss of death. I blame you personally for years of disappointment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

they should have forced the Steelers onto hard knocks when they had the chance.

I'm feeling playoffs for sure (especially with the additional wild card) and I like our chances for the whole shebang......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!