Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Butler's Comment on Tuitt..... !!!??

  1. #11
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    10 guys on defense playing a certain type of defense while one guy plays another doesn't make sense.

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Perhaps as many as half of all big plays from AB were on the fly, with him breaking off his route to find a hole in the D. It may have been more than half of all big plays. Ben loves doing that. It's kind of backyard, but it works for them. Hopefully another WR has this knack, JuJu might.
    I disagree. I think AB was experienced enough to recognize when the play had broken down and make an adjustment - but a large portion of the offense was based on Ben and AB reading the defense correctly and running routes to take advantage. I do agree that early in his career, Ben was all about backyard - but as he matured, I believe the last several years of his play it's been 95% designed, 5% improvisation.

    just my 2 cents however.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  3. #13
    Rookie

    User Info Menu

    I hope he can stay healthy for a full season . Him and Cam will just be unstoppable. And make life for Watt and Dupre real easy.

    Every time I see a picture of Tuitt I think of the 'Gerber Baby'. lol

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    10 guys on defense playing a certain type of defense while one guy plays another doesn't make sense.
    But your premise is flawed. No one said that the playmaker completely ignores his assignment, it's more likely he anticipates his area is secured and then makes a splash play. Some guy named Polamalu was OK at it. I think Bush might have the instincts and super human abilities to pull it off.

  5. #15
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    But your premise is flawed. No one said that the playmaker completely ignores his assignment, it's more likely he anticipates his area is secured and then makes a splash play.
    since Butler felt strongly enough about Tuitt neglecting his assignments to state it publicly I don't believe my premise is flawed at all.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 09-13-2020 at 01:34 AM.

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    since Butler felt strongly enough about Tuitt neglecting his assignments to state it publicly I don't believe my premise is flawed at all.
    Does that make Butler right? How many times have you seen Tuitt blow his assignment?

  7. #17
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I think the Steelers take the whole "must uphold your accountability" a little too much. I get it; it should apply. You don't want a whole D with players playing cowboy or it's a recipe for ruin. But when you have a real splash play dude, who keeps paying off when he freelance a little, and are, by and large, successful doing it, "release the Kraken." I think that is the reason it took so long for Harrison to make the team and the field. Do you really want to put Polamalu on a short leash? Later Dick admitted you want him freedom to be flexible and use his instincts. I fear that is why Ola never gets a shot at playing time.

    Let's face it: some players should be allowed to follow different roles. Butler needs to take the stick out of his @ss. Also, if your team is good at communicating, it increases the amount of plays where your studs can make splash plays. Every time I hear Ray Lewis talk about creating a top D, he always talks about communication as the very most important element. The you can release the Kraken. I put Tuitt, Bush and Fitz in that category. And Watt.
    First I think this is a comment designed for Tuitt and not the media.

    Second, letting a guy freelance is risk reward. And I'd imagine the coaches and players (who know the assignments of the plays and go over the file) know the risk reward trade offs of specific players better than we do.

    Third, I think the business of football means that players are more likely to cheat their assignments to rack up counting stats that lead to bigger contracts.

    I don't know how much this is an issue for Tuitt, but I think team success is probably a lot about coaches being able to align the incentives for players with those of the team.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  8. #18
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Is Tuitt getting injured when he freelances?

  9. #19
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Is Tuitt getting injured when he freelances?
    That's a pretty interesting question IMO
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Does that make Butler right? How many times have you seen Tuitt blow his assignment?

    Butler has to be right. it only takes him 9-10 high draft picks to get his defense playing at a top 10 level

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •