Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butler's Comment on Tuitt..... !!!??

Legend

User Info Menu

Butler's Comment on Tuitt..... !!!??

I wonder what Butler is referring to here;

Defensive coordinator Keith Butler spoke with media on Thursday, via Zoom, and he gave an update on how Tuitt has looked through Training Camp and leading into Week 1 of the 2020 regular season.

“He [Tuitt] looks good. He looks like he did before he got hurt.” Butler added. “Hopefully, he plays as well as he did last year before he got hurt. I think he will. I think there is some discipline stuff that he needs to adhere to in terms of playing within the scheme of our defense. I think he will do that. Sometimes when he doesn’t play within the scheme, he makes big plays and that lends itself to want to keep doing it.

“But if you keep doing it, then it’s going to hurt your teammates. I think Tuitt is going to be a big asset for us. Of course, Cam Heyward has always been, but I think Tuitt will add to our defense.”
    If Tuitt can get back to the stats he had in the first 6 games last season, we should all be cheering in the streets.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sometimes when you try to make splash plays you put your team at risk because you ignored your assignment. Prolly referring to gap discipline
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I suppose kind of like AB. When players make plays coaches can tolerate playing outside the system at times. When those mistakes become detrimental to the units or teams success then that is when different issues can arise.

Tuitt won't be with the Steelers much longer if he can't stay healthy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ahhh the ghost of Lebeau in butler

"don't be a hero, son"

Legend

User Info Menu

I’d let Tuitt do his thing. If he’s not disciplined, so what. He might be our most dominant defender at times and I’d work around that.

Guy is a beast and just needs to stay healthy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

kinda like a QB that breaks the pocket too early and looks for the home run. awesome when it works, awful when it's a sack for 10 yards. I like the splash plays as much as anyone, but offenses are so good and defenses are so precise I tend to favor discipline and doing your job at the expense of the occasional splash play.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    kinda like a QB that breaks the pocket too early and looks for the home run. awesome when it works, awful when it's a sack for 10 yards. I like the splash plays as much as anyone, but offenses are so good and defenses are so precise I tend to favor discipline and doing your job at the expense of the occasional splash play.
    Are you related to Dick LeBeau?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I’d let Tuitt do his thing. If he’s not disciplined, so what. He might be our most dominant defender at times and I’d work around that.

Guy is a beast and just needs to stay healthy.
    I think the Steelers take the whole "must uphold your accountability" a little too much. I get it; it should apply. You don't want a whole D with players playing cowboy or it's a recipe for ruin. But when you have a real splash play dude, who keeps paying off when he freelance a little, and are, by and large, successful doing it, "release the Kraken." I think that is the reason it took so long for Harrison to make the team and the field. Do you really want to put Polamalu on a short leash? Later Dick admitted you want him freedom to be flexible and use his instincts. I fear that is why Ola never gets a shot at playing time.

Let's face it: some players should be allowed to follow different roles. Butler needs to take the stick out of his @ss. Also, if your team is good at communicating, it increases the amount of plays where your studs can make splash plays. Every time I hear Ray Lewis talk about creating a top D, he always talks about communication as the very most important element. The you can release the Kraken. I put Tuitt, Bush and Fitz in that category. And Watt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Are you related to Dick LeBeau?
    that you might think so is a real compliment......
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Perhaps as many as half of all big plays from AB were on the fly, with him breaking off his route to find a hole in the D. It may have been more than half of all big plays. Ben loves doing that. It's kind of backyard, but it works for them. Hopefully another WR has this knack, JuJu might.