Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Allen tops UGII for backup ILB spot

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Marcus Allen tops UGII for backup ILB spot

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...ty-linebacker/

Didn't see this talked about yet-

Marcus Allen is the top ILB behind Bush, with Spillane listed behind Williams. Allen moved past Ulysees Gilbert III for the spot.

Former S Mark Barron out, former safety Marcus Allen in.

Safeties and inside linebackers are damn near interchangeable these days. This is like the current version of shifting college DEs to 3-4 OLBS was in the 90s and early 20s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post

Marcus Allen is the top ILB behind Bush, with Spillane listed behind Williams. Allen moved past Ulysees Gilbert III for the spot.

Safeties and inside linebackers are damn near interchangeable these days. This is like the current version of shifting college DEs to 3-4 OLBS was in the 90s and early 20s.
    It certainly feels odd. You wonder when the pendulum will swing back to hard running.

Seems like players that fit a power running game would be undervalued these days and it would be pretty cheap to run through all these light D's. This seems to be the way Baltimore is headed.

I guess you'd face the problem of being pretty one-dimensional if your D gave up a big lead?
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice write up at BTSC on this topic. Said that teams that faced BAL (PIT, SD, TEN) and did well in limiting or beating them used 3 safety sets. And in some cases 4 with no LBs. (some game clips show how it works)

And guess who makes this possible this season?..... that's right, Sean Davis.

The key to defending the run in this case is for the safety to crash down the line before the runner gets into space.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...avens-nfl-news

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Allen being moved above UGII at ILB? To me, that's a disappointing indicator of UGII's lack of progress. Allen has limited upside at the position, IMO. UG has better athletic potential, and seemed to be coming along well before his injury last season -- I wonder what happened?

Allen is OK as an extra in-the-box guy, but I have a hard time seeing him being great in the role Mark Barron had last year. Hope I'm wrong, and Allen proves to be outstanding.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

forgot where I read it but of of their writers wrote that it will be UG3 as the main back up to VW.
    allen more in sub packages

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Allen being moved above UGII at ILB? To me, that's a disappointing indicator of UGII's lack of progress. Allen has limited upside at the position, IMO. UG has better athletic potential, and seemed to be coming along well before his injury last season -- I wonder what happened?

Allen is OK as an extra in-the-box guy, but I have a hard time seeing him being great in the role Mark Barron had last year. Hope I'm wrong, and Allen proves to be outstanding.
    My thoughts exactly. More a downer on UG 2 than excited about Allen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Obviously the coaches who see them everyday disagree with you

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Without camp there is not much I can add here. I would say it's more that ILB Spillane is the odd man out. We'll know soon enough if MA n UG2 can handle some packages. I will say this both of those guys are solid on special teams.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post

Here we go again with their obsession to find a S/LB hybrid. Isn't Allen only 215 LBs? I'm not sure him at ILB is gonna be great when we are playing Chubb, Zeke, Ingram, Dobbins and Henry.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's see how it plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if this is more situational than anything. Maybe UG3 more against a power running team and Allen more against a spread team. Take advantage of situational matchups.