Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Steelers bringing in longtime Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt for tryout

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Colquitt didn't look that good today, only a 36 yard net punting average.
    Guess the Chiefs didn't cut him because he was on the upside of his career

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Well, supposedly he's the better punting "technician" and not a "boomer", so we wouldn't expect his average to be jaw-dropping. It would be more interesting to see how his hang-time and ball-placement was.

  3. #33
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Colquitt didn't look that good today, only a 36 yard net punting average.
    Then you weren't watching hawaiian. Colquitt wasn't the problem, it was the coverage team. They were pretty sad. I think the first guy missed the tackle on just about every punt, hence yds gained. Colquitt looked to have good hang time and distance, but the rest of the unit was meh. I was shocked when D Smith kept his job after last season. It looks like he picked up where he left off coaching this unit.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-15-2020 at 02:17 PM.

  4. #34
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Then you weren't watching hawaiian. Colquitt wasn't the problem, it was the coverage team. They were pretty sad. I think the first guy missed the tackle on just about every punt, hence yds gained. Colquitt looked to have good hang time and distance, but the rest of the unit was meh. I was shocked when D Smith kept his job after last season. It looks like he picked up where he left off coaching this unit.
    I was watching and it seemed to me to be a combination of both.

    but I agree with you about Danny Smith, I have no idea how he's been able to keep his job for this long.

  5. #35
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I was watching and it seemed to me to be a combination of both.

    but I agree with you about Danny Smith, I have no idea how he's been able to keep his job for this long.
    While coverage was poor, I also think Colquitt was underwhelming. Maybe we just expect too much from a punter. I watched the Cowboys and Rams game and I'd love to have the Rams' punter.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Was listening to Tunch and Wolf the other day and they both praised Danny Smith. Not sure I get it. The only thing he's proven to be good at is punishing gum IMO.

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    no training camp for colquit

    i'd wait a few games before concluding that he's done

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Colquitt had a pretty good game - 4 punts for a 45.8 average, 1 inside the 20 and a long of 59. He also had a great catch and set up on a low snap for Bos. Not too shabby for being picked up so late.

  9. #39
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Colquitt had a pretty good game - 4 punts for a 45.8 average, 1 inside the 20 and a long of 59. He also had a great catch and set up on a low snap for Bos. Not too shabby for being picked up so late.
    He might not be the second coming of his dad, but I am willing to give him a month to settle in. Three out of 4 punts were returned; one 50 yd for 11 yds; two others for 28 yds total. Coverage teams were not good.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •