Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs released by Jaguars

Legend

User Info Menu

Former Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs released by Jaguars

Former Steelers QB Joshua Dobbs released by Jaguars

Curt Popejoy

According to NFL reporter Ian Rapoport, the Jacksonville Jaguars are cutting former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Joshua Dobbs. Jacksonville is also releasing quarterback Mike Glennon.

Dobbs spent his first two seasons with the Steelers after being drafted in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL draft out of Tennessee. In 2018, Dobbs played well enough in the preseason to earn the backup job beating out then-rookie Mason Rudolph and forcing the Steelers to release Landry Jobes.

But the following season Rudolph assumed the No. 2 role and Dobbs was off to Jacksonville.

It is easy to second-guess the move considering how things went in 2019. And looking ahead to 2020, does anyone think any combination of Devlin Hodges and Paxton Lynch are better than Dobbs, should he return?

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...l-2020-roster/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Without a camp to look at Lynch I don't know. Hodges I think we all know. If they bring Dobbs in for a look my guess is he sticks provided he's healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jags are all in on Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Jags are all in on Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes
    no kidding, if Minshew gets hurt they now only have a rookie 6th round pick backing him up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dobbs is stinko.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Dobbs is stinko.
    I don't look for the Steelers to bring him back.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't look for the Steelers to bring him back.
    I hope we do. If Ben goes down again Duck and Rudolph aren’t the answer. Dobbs could run on half of his drop backs and it would be an improvement over what we witnessed last year.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dobbs is a bum

good guy, smart kid, but not an NFL QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers Claim QB Joshua Dobbs Off Waivers From Jaguars

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on September 6, 2020

The Pittsburgh Steelers will have a new quarterback on their roster on Sunday and itís one they have had before. According to Field Yates of ESPN, the Steelers are claiming Dobbs off waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Steelers traded Dobbs to the Jaguars for a fifth-round draft pick in Week 2 of the 2019 regular season.

Dobbs was originally drafted by the Steelers in the fourth-round of the 2017 NFL Draft out of Tennessee. In his first two seasons with the Steelers he completed 6 of his 12 total pass attempts for 43 yards. He played 30 offensive snaps in total. Last season with the Jaguars, Dobbs didnít play a snap.

The claiming of Dobbs on Sunday will result in quarterback Devlin Hodges being waived. It will now be interesting to see if Hodges is re-signed to the practice squad after he clears waivers.

Dobbs is scheduled to earn $825,000 in 2020, the final year of his rookie contract that he originally signed with the Steelers.

What is the main value in bringing back Dobbs? For starters, heís and all-around better quarterback than Hodges is and he knows the Steelers nomenclature as well. Beyond that, Dobbs being back just from a scout team perspective is quite great as he will now probably give the Steelers defense good looks when imitating Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson in practices leading up to those contests.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/09/re...-from-jaguars/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I hope we do. If Ben goes down again Duck and Rudolph aren’t the answer. Dobbs could run on half of his drop backs and it would be an improvement over what we witnessed last year.
    I guess you have a point because they sure brought Dobbs back. Lol. Behind Ben , it’s a mess and a lot of head scratching. With Duck being released then I’d assume by their actions that their saying they made a mistake in trading Dobbs.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 09-06-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]