Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Running back by committee?

  1. #11
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    The game is changing ...

    As you look around the league the 3 down backers are becoming extinct, just like the true #1 WR is.

    It doesn't have to do with lack of talent coming in the NFL, but maybe more.

    What would be harder to cover, three good #2WR ( this years Steelers) or just one #1WR and change ( AB and drawing blank ... that dude with the messed up fingers who went to cleveland and Switzer.)
    Good point SG. That's the approach Belichick seems to take and it has worked out well.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    RB by committee works when you don’t have a good RB.

    Any team with a really good RB is going to feed him the ball and make him a focal point of the offense.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  3. #13
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    RB by committee works when you don’t have a good RB.

    Any team with a really good RB is going to feed him the ball and make him a focal point of the offense.
    That statement is true, they would be stupid not to give them the ball: however, it seems to fail more than works.

    Bell, always seemed to get hurt and knocked out for our playoff run.
    Gurley, when his knee went, so did that offense.

    What I am saying need a commitee, a full stable, need to keep those studs legs fresh and limit there hits.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."



  4. #14
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    That statement is true, they would be stupid not to give them the ball: however, it seems to fail more than works.

    Bell, always seemed to get hurt and knocked out for our playoff run.
    Gurley, when his knee went, so did that offense.

    What I am saying need a commitee, a full stable, need to keep those studs legs fresh and limit there hits.
    I get where your coming from but that was Bell. I'm not going to think every RB has the fragility of Bell. Connor's style does lead to injury because he's not happy with a 4 yard gain and continues to struggle through tackles. When 3 or more guys have you, just go down. No shame. Connor was a pro-bowl RB two years ago. I don't think he skill level has diminished just yet. I expect him to carry the ball 15-18 times a game while mixing in the other guys. If we do that, things will work out fine.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    That statement is true, they would be stupid not to give them the ball: however, it seems to fail more than works.

    Bell, always seemed to get hurt and knocked out for our playoff run.
    Gurley, when his knee went, so did that offense.

    What I am saying need a commitee, a full stable, need to keep those studs legs fresh and limit there hits.
    no. It actually worked far more often than it failed. Bell had some serious production when he was a Steeler. You can’t assume playing him less would’ve made our team more successful.

    I know people think if we just have Bell a few less touches he would’ve stayed healthy but that’s not how football works.

    Do we make it to the AFCCG if Bell had 1/3 less touches? I don’t think you can park a sports car hoping it will protect you from a car accident.

    Look at Tuitt on defense. He stays hurt. Do you reduce his snaps hoping to protect him?
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  6. #16
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I get where your coming from but that was Bell. I'm not going to think every RB has the fragility of Bell. Connor's style does lead to injury because he's not happy with a 4 yard gain and continues to struggle through tackles. When 3 or more guys have you, just go down. No shame. Connor was a pro-bowl RB two years ago. I don't think he skill level has diminished just yet. I expect him to carry the ball 15-18 times a game while mixing in the other guys. If we do that, things will work out fine.
    Conner only had like 15 touches his rookie year and he still had a season ending injury.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  7. #17
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    That statement is true, they would be stupid not to give them the ball: however, it seems to fail more than works.

    Bell, always seemed to get hurt and knocked out for our playoff run.
    Gurley, when his knee went, so did that offense.

    What I am saying need a commitee, a full stable, need to keep those studs legs fresh and limit there hits.
    There is no one right answer; if you have a real stud, then you likely would have less RBBC. If you have a Henry, Zeke or Chubb, you got to give them touches. That being said, over-using a RB is not wise, but Cool Shades brags about it.

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Conner only had like 15 touches his rookie year and he still had a season ending injury.
    That's because he's injury prone.

  9. #19
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no. It actually worked far more often than it failed. Bell had some serious production when he was a Steeler.
    It depends on how you define “works”.
    If by “works” you mean “All Pro” back growing his ego to be overpaid because he has a gazillion touches, resulting in a rushing offense that ranks 20th and averages 3.8 ypc?
    2017 Steelers

    Or how bout a committee of backs featuring an ENTIRE ROSTER of backs that cost less than Bell alone, yet is 3rd in rushing averages 4.5 ypc, and WINS THE STINKIN SUPERBOWL!!!!
    2017 Eagles

    Fact is when you stop caring about ONE GUYS numbers and look at overall effectiveness AND being able to deal with injury better, a stable of “good enough” is better than “great individual” every time at the RB position in today’s NFL.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-27-2020 at 04:58 PM.

  10. #20
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    It depends on how you define “works”.
    If by “works” you mean “All Pro” back growing his ego to be overpaid because he has a gazillion touches, resulting in a rushing offense that ranks 20th and averages 3.8 ypc?
    2017 Steelers

    Or how bout a committee of backs featuring an ENTIRE ROSTER of backs that cost less than Bell alone, yet is 3rd in rushing averages 4.5 ypc, and WINS THE STINKIN SUPERBOWL!!!!
    2017 Eagles

    Fact is when you stop caring about ONE GUYS numbers and look at overall effectiveness AND being able to deal with injury better, a stable of “good enough” is better than “great individual” every time at the RB position in today’s NFL.
    And I told you this BEFORE that SB.

    Happened again LAST YEAR.
    Mahomes has played with one “great” back with big numbers.
    Won a SB with back by committee.

    So how important is a great back?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-27-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •