Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running back by committee?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Running back by committee?

https://www.steelcityunderground.com...elers-in-2020/

Even in obvious conditions (i.e. Conner being an injury concern), if one back gets hot, dumb dumb Tomlin will overuse him. He is often proud of being slow. If there was ever a season where RBBC would be appropriate, it is this one. Conner and Snell could be the steady diet, with the mixing in of our new lightning back - McFarland. But will ding dong get it? Or will he run Conner an inappropriate # of times until he ends up getting him hurt?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm starting to get the idea you don't like Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just mho but Conner's style of running is what has gotten him in some dinged up situations. He has size but he's not the size of a Henry n that running style needs to change a bit not Tomlins use or overuse of him. In this league if your involved in multiple high end collisions sooner rather then later your body will break down. Cam Newton n Ben big tough dudes but eventually those hits take their toll. It will happen to Henry too one day. JC needs to stiff arm a little more, work on some shake and on occasion go oob. Yeah sometimes the shoulders drop and you run right through the defender but not every time.
    I'm all for back by committee. Keeps them all fresh in theory anyway. Change of pace with different backs going in n out causes the D to make adjustments on the fly based on personnel which can cause confusion in coverages and thus some advantage to the O if the communication breaks down on the D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Just mho but Conner's style of running is what has gotten him in some dinged up situations. He has size but he's not the size of a Henry n that running style needs to change a bit not Tomlins use or overuse of him. In this league if your involved in multiple high end collisions sooner rather then later your body will break down. Cam Newton n Ben big tough dudes but eventually those hits take their toll. It will happen to Henry too one day. JC needs to stiff arm a little more, work on some shake and on occasion go oob. Yeah sometimes the shoulders drop and you run right through the defender but not every time.
    I'm all for back by committee. Keeps them all fresh in theory anyway. Change of pace with different backs going in n out causes the D to make adjustments on the fly based on personnel which can cause confusion in coverages and thus some advantage to the O if the communication breaks down on the D.
    Yep. It happened to one of the best smashmouth RBs ever. Earl Campbell never shied from contact but ended his career with serious back issues.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'm starting to get the idea you don't like Tomlin
    I like him just fine as a person, but I'm not enthralled when he applies a less than cerebral approach and it hurts the team's success. That's all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yep. It happened to one of the best smashmouth RBs ever. Earl Campbell never shied from contact but ended his career with serious back issues.
    probably only happened because his dumb dumb ding dong coach overused him

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Well, I agree JC's running style is more at fault with injuries than Tomlin's addiction to over-suing one RB. But, if we happen to get lucky on JC not getting hurt, when MT's goes into his "I will run the wheels of him" mode, it will add to the chances that JC gets hurt. It's another case of Tomlin bragging about a faulty mindset and not knowing it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    probably only happened because his dumb dumb ding dong coach overused him
    Actually, that was a contributing factor. Dumb dumb ding dongs hurt teams and players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With this group of backs, I think the committee approach would serve our team best -- but we've never really operated that way under Tomlin. I hope he goes that direction, but if I had to bet money, I'd say he won't.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The game is changing ...

As you look around the league the 3 down backers are becoming extinct, just like the true #1 WR is.

It doesn't have to do with lack of talent coming in the NFL, but maybe more.

What would be harder to cover, three good #2WR ( this years Steelers) or just one #1WR and change ( AB and drawing blank ... that dude with the messed up fingers who went to cleveland and Switzer.)
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."