Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former NFL GM Thinks Ben Roethlisberger Is AFC North’s Worst QB

Legend

User Info Menu

Former NFL GM Thinks Ben Roethlisberger Is AFC North’s Worst QB

Former NFL GM Thinks Ben Roethlisberger Is AFC North’s Worst QB

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on August 24, 2020

Hope you’re ready for a laugh. And a receipt to keep when this season ends. Former NFL GM Mike Tannenbaum was on ESPN’s Get Up Monday morning with the outlandish take to end all outlandish takes about Steelers’ QB Ben Roethlisberger. In Tannenbaum’s opinion, not only is Roethlisberger behind Lamar Jackson, he’s behind Baker Mayfield and rookie Joe Burrow.

Here’s what Tannenbaum had to say when projecting Roethilsberger and the Steelers’ season.

“At some point in the season, there will be a consequential play that Ben Roethlisberger is going to need to make. Because of all the money he’s made and all the championships he’s won, I’d rather see the ball in the hands of Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, or even Joe Burrow. Because those three AFC North quarterbacks, it’s all in front of them. I don’t want a QB in Ben Roethlisberger at 38 whose played two games in two years. I’ll take my chances with Burrow and Mayfield. Pittsburgh may have the 4th best QB in the AFC North this year.”

So being a franchise QB and winning Super Bowls is a…bad thing in Tannenbaum’s twisted logic. Winning zero playoff games, as is the case with the three other QBs, is a benefit. Not to mention the fact he straight up gets his facts wrong. Roethlisberger’s played 18 games the last two years. Not two.

An absolute molten take from Tannenbaum and I pray he only said that to be the contrarian on his TV spot, as is often the case with these “embrace debate” shows from the Worldwide leader.

Pointing out this silly argument is no disrespect against the other QBs. Arguing Lamar Jackson is better than Roethlisberger is fair; after all, Jackson is the reigning MVP. But Mayfield? Burrow? I’m fans of both quarterbacks, Mayfield will bounce back, Burrow will be a good quarterback so long as the Bengals’ o-line stops being swiss cheese, but no chance I’d take them over Roethlisberger. And definitely not for the short-circuited reasons Tannenbaum’s trying to tie together.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/08/fo...rths-worst-qb/

Legend

User Info Menu

This feels a bit cherry picked.

In context I get the quote.

Many people would argue that they would rather have a young highly drafted QB than a guy at the end of his career.

As a GM, is also love to have a franchise QB on a rookie fee deal.

But outside of Jackson, the other two haven't proven to be franchise QBs. And the Ohio teams have a habit of turning potential franchise QBs to... Something less than they should be.

If I could trade Ben straight up for another QB in the AFCN, if probably do it for the cap advantages and the longevity. Even though I bet none have the career Ben's has had (which is just betting the chalk).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 08-25-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Click bait.. but of course they are also going off of the tape from all QB’s last year vs no tape for Ben. Ben is the best QB in the AFCN when healthy but we know Lamar Jackson isthe most exciting and dynamic QB based on last year.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Click bait.. but of course they are also going off of the tape from all QB’s last year vs no tape for Ben. Ben is the best QB in the AFCN when healthy but we know Lamar Jackson isthe most exciting and dynamic QB based on last year.
    I think Ben's career will be better than LJs, but I think it would be crazy to put Ben over Jackson today.

I think I'd much rather have Jackson's next 3 to 5 years than Ben's.

Especially if you consider impact vs cap hit. Imagine if we had LJ last year and an extra elite playmaker or defender.

I'd put Ben 2nd for a team interested only in this year. But Jackson is first for now and for the medium term IMO (at least until his 2nd contract) .

****ing Rats.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Check BM's stats for last season. They are on par with Rudolph's, not Roethlisberger.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope Ben reads this and it drives him to have his best season ever. Some will discount his ability to do that, but don't underestimate the Matt Canada factor to make this offense special

LJ will get figured out this season...too much dependency on the run

Mayfield will be about the same as last year and Burrows is an NFL rookie with no OTAs, no preseason and no real training camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I hope Ben reads this and it drives him to have his best season ever. Some will discount his ability to do that, but don't underestimate the Matt Canada factor to make this offense special

LJ will get figured out this season...too much dependency on the run

Mayfield will be about the same as last year and Burrows is an NFL rookie with no OTAs, no preseason and no real training camp.
    I hope Ben comes back better than ever too. And even if he's mostly as good as usual we'll be a very competitive team with our D.

But even if he plays well enough to be MVP, his cap hit is still like 10x what LJs is.

But if we don't win this year, it's probably over. This looks like our last quality shot with Ben to me.

Next year's team looks like it will lose a ton of guys because of the cap (unless they do something drastic like roll back salaries across the league).

It's not Ben's fault we kept kicking the can down the road, but his cap hit is gigantic next year and it will cost us good players.

This is just the price we pay (gladly) for having a very good QB on a market level deal.

The other teams in the division are (or might be) on the other end of the franchise QB timeline. Maybe CLE ****s the bed like always (good bet IMO). And CIN doesn't commit to building a team around JB. But BAL is a well run franchise and they won't squander their time on easy mode.

I'm thankful that Ben's time has given us 2 championships and lots and lots of competitive years. I'm hopeful that we get another this year.

But I'm pretty worried about next year's cap. But Kahn's a wizard so I do have some hope too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Check BM's stats for last season. They are on par with Rudolph's, not Roethlisberger.
    Doesn’t matter. Rudolph isn’t who this article is about.

my point is Ben is being doubted because he wasn’t on the field. Not because these QB’s are better than him.

This is simply a click bait article bashing Ben due to being hurt and not having any tape from last year.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 08-25-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think Ben's career will be better than LJs, but I think it would be crazy to put Ben over Jackson today.

I think I'd much rather have Jackson's next 3 to 5 years than Ben's.

Especially if you consider impact vs cap hit. Imagine if we had LJ last year and an extra elite playmaker or defender.

I'd put Ben 2nd for a team interested only in this year. But Jackson is first for now and for the medium term IMO (at least until his 2nd contract) .

****ing Rats.
    who knows. I think it comes down to efficiency. Ben will have more passing stats but will he be as efficient when it comes to TD’s vs INT’s??? He should but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben has more INT’s since we are lore pass happy.

Regardless of what some want to believe I think Bens turnovers have been swept under the rug when they have been an big reason we haven’t had as much success these last few years.

When is the last time Ben had a playoff game without a turnover?

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope Ben reads this article.