Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whyte makes right

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Whyte makes right

https://www.steelers.com/news/camp-b...eeps-him-going

Nice story, but I can't see him making the roster unless some RBs get hurt. Who is he going to beat out?

- Conner. no
    - Snell. no
    - McFarland. No, but truth be told, Whyte could be as good or better.
    - Watt. Not same position.
    - Samuels. Outside chance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    https://www.steelers.com/news/camp-b...eeps-him-going

Nice story, but I can't see him making the roster unless some RBs get hurt. Who is he going to beat out?

- Conner. no
    - Snell. no
    - McFarland. No, but truth be told, Whyte could be as good or better.
    - Watt. Not same position.
    - Samuels. Outside chance.
    Really Whisper?

I thought more highly of you! Do you think Samuels makes this roster over Wyte?

Samuels, ship has sailed with te signing of Smallwood.

He provides nothing, Wyte is even more valuable on ST as a returner.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Really Whisper?

I thought more highly of you! Do you think Samuels makes this roster over Wyte?

Samuels, ship has sailed with te signing of Smallwood.

He provides nothing, Wyte is even more valuable on ST as a returner.
    You're forgetting the ego factor. Pgh likes to prove they "were right" more than any team, when it comes to giving drafted players extra time to prove the Steelers are extra smart at drafting. My hunch is - unless one of the other two are obviously better - Samuels gets the nod. They love the Swiss army knife players - probably a bit too much. And I believe Smallwood is a camp body for the most part; he had a 3.7 ypc last season with the Washington FOOTBALL TEAM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You're forgetting the ego factor. Pgh likes to prove they "were right" more than any team, when it comes to giving drafted players extra time to prove the Steelers are extra smart at drafting. My hunch is - unless one of the other two are obviously better - Samuels gets the nod. They love the Swiss army knife players - probably a bit too much. And I believe Smallwood is a camp body for the most part; he had a 3.7 ypc last season with the Washington FOOTBALL TEAM.
    I don't think it's about proving they were right. They invest a lot of time and money into players. So in my mind they should give players a chance to develop.

Having 2 or 3 players that can be versatile isn't a negative.

There is a good chance the Steelers are going to suffer multiple injuries to the RB position. So.......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't think it's about proving they were right. They invest a lot of time and money into players. So in my mind they should give players a chance to develop.

Having 2 or 3 players that can be versatile isn't a negative.

There is a good chance the Steelers are going to suffer multiple injuries to the RB position. So.......
    Of course there is SOME value to having versatile players, but only to a degree. Do you remember all the failed H-back experiments the last 20 years? I didn't even know why those guys were ever on the roster, not to mention seeing the field. There was a David Johnson, and who was the other bum? Every time I saw them on the field I scratched my head. They had about as much production as I did in those years. They would finally throw to them and they would get 2 yards and not make a 1st down. They thought they were "super tricky" with that H-back crap but it was a waste of time.

I know they want Samuels to be a Keith Jackson type (position listed TE) but he just doesn't have as much skill. K-Jack had 49 TDs, Samuels will never have a quarter of that.

And yes, they will have injuries to the RB unit, but how many RBs can you carry? Even with a FB, 5 seems like the limit.

- Conner
    - Snell
    - Watt
    - McFarland....and only one spot left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Of course there is SOME value to having versatile players, but only to a degree. Do you remember all the failed H-back experiments the last 20 years? I didn't even know why those guys were ever on the roster, not to mention seeing the field. There was a David Johnson, and who was the other bum? Every time I saw them on the field I scratched my head. They had about as much production as I did in those years. They would finally throw to them and they would get 2 yards and not make a 1st down. They thought they were "super tricky" with that H-back crap but it was a waste of time.

I know they want Samuels to be a Keith Jackson type (position listed TE) but he just doesn't have as much skill. K-Jack had 49 TDs, Samuels will never have a quarter of that.

And yes, they will have injuries to the RB unit, but how many RBs can you carry? Even with a FB, 5 seems like the limit.

- Conner
    - Snell
    - Watt
    - McFarland....and only one spot left.
    You didn't know why guys were on the roster? It seems you don't understand the dynamics of how the NFL rosters work in the salary capp era. Teams can't have highly productive and great players at every position.

Steelers might have the option to resign one of those RBs if a team doesn't sign them after they are cut. There is also the option to trade a RB if a team likes the player or a team has injuries during camp. Who knows what's going to happen?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    You didn't know why guys were on the roster? It seems you don't understand the dynamics of how the NFL rosters work in the salary capp era. Teams can't have highly productive and great players at every position.

Steelers might have the option to resign one of those RBs if a team doesn't sign them after they are cut. There is also the option to trade a RB if a team likes the player or a team has injuries during camp. Who knows what's going to happen?
    I understand the cap just fine. But the cap doesn't mandate you keep and play useless players and positions. They kept telling us how versatile Johnson was, as he would rack up about 50 yards....a YEAR. My point is I don't even know why they bothered with the H-back crap. I rarely witnessed it even gaining a 1st down. But in the Tomlin mode, ride a game plan/formation to death, whether it works or not. Don't bother making adjustments.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're forgetting the ego factor. Pgh likes to prove they "were right" more than any team, when it comes to giving drafted players extra time to prove the Steelers are extra smart at drafting. My hunch is - unless one of the other two are obviously better - Samuels gets the nod.
    Why did Marcus Allen....drafted BEFORE Samuels in the same draft, get cut for a time last season?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Why did Marcus Allen....drafted BEFORE Samuels in the same draft, get cut for a time last season?
    It's not the ONLY factor, it is one factor. But you already knew this, you just have to be a contrarian.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not the ONLY factor, it is one factor. But you already knew this, you just have to be a contrarian.
    not really, it's just that he's right and you're wrong. as usual