Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cam Heyward, now is not the time to whine

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm very curious how Heyward's negotiations will go down. I can't think of another player on defense that has been a team leader the way he has for the last 3 or 4 years. Steelers usually make serious efforts to retain these kinds of players since it takes many seasons to grow into the role. Oh, and he is still a damn good football player.
    I think the Steelers will want to retain his services. This will boil down to how much Cam thinks he is worth at 31. He will want one last big contract, but if he is reasonable this deal will get done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I can't see them paying market for him regardless.

I do think the one rationale beyond leadership is the d-line as a position group would be decimated without Cam.

I might be inclined to take a one year hit and franchise him (like Dupree) to get another shot while we have Ben. Might be able to leverage a short 3 year deal?

I definitely let Dupree walk before Cam despite his age. Dupree is easier to replace.
    I think they will offer him market or above, with the understanding that market for a +31 DL is NOT the same as a 28 yr old. Although I also think Cam's agent will argue that Cam is a better player than 80% of the guys younger than him, which is valid. We'll see how this story unfolds.

Legend

User Info Menu

This Heyward situation reminds me of the Faneca situation of years ago. Faneca, at the time, was still considered a top 2 guard in the game, along with Hutchinson of Seattle. The Steelers (I believe) had Faneca earmarked at a number. IIRC the area was around $6M per. Then, that off-season, both the Bills and Browns signed lesser guards to around that number, driving Faneca's perceived market value up a couple of mil. The Steelers essentially decided that the collective braintrusts of Buffalo and Cleveland do not control how the Steelers spend their cap money, and they let Faneca walk.

Not saying in any way that Bosa is a lesser talent, but if the Steelers had Heyward pegged at one number, and now the Chargers have upset the market and forced that number up, the team will not allow the Chargers to be their capologist. If that means the eventual price can't be negotiated and Cam walks, unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. Shake hands and part ways.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    It means his daily dose of anti-psychotics needs adjusted. I hope that helps.
    Is that a prescription doc?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This Heyward situation reminds me of the Faneca situation of years ago. Faneca, at the time, was still considered a top 2 guard in the game, along with Hutchinson of Seattle. The Steelers (I believe) had Faneca earmarked at a number. IIRC the area was around $6M per. Then, that off-season, both the Bills and Browns signed lesser guards to around that number, driving Faneca's perceived market value up a couple of mil. The Steelers essentially decided that the collective braintrusts of Buffalo and Cleveland do not control how the Steelers spend their cap money, and they let Faneca walk.

Not saying in any way that Bosa is a lesser talent, but if the Steelers had Heyward pegged at one number, and now the Chargers have upset the market and forced that number up, the team will not allow the Chargers to be their capologist. If that means the eventual price can't be negotiated and Cam walks, unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. Shake hands and part ways.
    Nice comp with Fanecas situation.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

Good analogy. And to some extent Heyward needs to decide how much he values finishing his career in Pittsburgh vs chasing max dollars. And he can look no further than how things worked out for Faneca, or even J Harrison.

Game is different now though. Maybe less loyalty from both sides, so chasing the money may be viewed less harshly. Still be a shame to lose a guy that might have 3 or 4 more good years left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Good analogy. And to some extent Heyward needs to decide how much he values finishing his career in Pittsburgh vs chasing max dollars. And he can look no further than how things worked out for Faneca, or even J Harrison.

Game is different now though. Maybe less loyalty from both sides, so chasing the money may be viewed less harshly. Still be a shame to lose a guy that might have 3 or 4 more good years left.
    It would be a big blow to the team, but you have to operate with some form of boundaries. I've seen where the Steelers have paid too much to keep their own players here and it didn't work out. (I.e. Kirkland, Woodley, Gildon, Kordell, etc.) But players only have so much time to make their life earnings. If Pgh is coming in at $3 mill a year less, or $10 mill overall less in guaranteed $, than other teams will pay, that's a lot of coin to just let float away.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    It would be a big blow to the team, but you have to operate with some form of boundaries. I've seen where the Steelers have paid too much to keep their own players here and it didn't work out. (I.e. Kirkland, Woodley, Gildon, Kordell, etc.) But players only have so much time to make their life earnings. If Pgh is coming in at $3 mill a year less, or $10 mill overall less in guaranteed $, than other teams will pay, that's a lot of coin to just let float away.
    I think you are correct here.
    I would not be shocked if Cam accepted less than market. Just not TOO MUCH less.
    If the market is too high ....he can walk. Financial realities on both sides.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I think you are correct here.
    I would not be shocked if Cam accepted less than market. Just not TOO MUCH less.
    If the market is too high ....he can walk. Financial realities on both sides.
    There is value to playing for the Steelers, especially when you have roots there. I was surprised when I heard Plex, of all people, talk about when you leave the Steelers, you realize how special it is, with everyone being treated like family. But, at what price? A mill a year? Stay. 5 mill? Probably not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Goes back to a discussion on a thread a few months ago. His next contract, on top of everything he has earned to date, will put him close to the $100M career earnings range. For most people, that would be enough to set both him and his family's future.

So, considering your future is taken care of, what value do you put on stability vs. the unknown? He knows that he is happy in Pittsburgh (I assume, if not then this idea is meaningless). If he plans on continuing playing for two more years, would he rather ensure that he is happy where he plays, or do you risk spending the remainder of your career in misery? He will retire an extremely wealthy man either way. This is not a Steeler fan question, more of a player philosophy question.