Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cam Heyward, now is not the time to whine

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Goes back to a discussion on a thread a few months ago. His next contract, on top of everything he has earned to date, will put him close to the $100M career earnings range. For most people, that would be enough to set both him and his family's future.

So, considering your future is taken care of, what value do you put on stability vs. the unknown? He knows that he is happy in Pittsburgh (I assume, if not then this idea is meaningless). If he plans on continuing playing for two more years, would he rather ensure that he is happy where he plays, or do you risk spending the remainder of your career in misery? He will retire an extremely wealthy man either way. This is not a Steeler fan question, more of a player philosophy question.
    And, of course, it's all relative. We cannot assume playing on another team is "misery." I'd assume some teams maybe close, like Jville or Jets. But loads of teams would be attractive, if they are willing to pay $3 mill more a year and/or $10 mill more guaranteed. Most any contender would be less than misery, like a SF, Seattle, KC, Dallas, GB, MN, Bills, Vegas, TN, etc. I know a lot of those teams won't be able to fit him under the caps, but some will.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    And, of course, it's all relative. We cannot assume playing on another team is "misery." I'd assume some teams maybe close, like Jville or Jets. But loads of teams would be attractive, if they are willing to pay $3 mill more a year and/or $10 mill more guaranteed. Most any contender would be less than misery, like a SF, Seattle, KC, Dallas, GB, MN, Bills, Vegas, TN, etc. I know a lot of those teams won't be able to fit him under the caps, but some will.
    Absolutely, one man's trash is another man's treasure. More about the unknown, and that also assumes that he is happy in Pittsburgh (which he seems to be).

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Absolutely, one man's trash is another man's treasure. More about the unknown, and that also assumes that he is happy in Pittsburgh (which he seems to be).
    I know this may smack of homerism, but unless you're a problem child - or just can't cope with cold/gray/snowy/rainy weather - the vast majority would love playing for the Steelers. Now, if you are just a trouble maker looking to start crap for selfish reasons (I'm looking your way AB and Bell) then you may invent BS like racial overtones and things of that nature. But it is obvious that:

A. The Steelers treat everyone like family, and truly care about the people and players working for them. Plaxico Burress, who was not an overly warm team guy in his career, came out and stated when you leave Pgh you realize how good it is there and will be shocked with how other teams treat you, in as far as you are no longer in a family atmosphere.

B. It's an iconic franchise with fervent fans who love runs deep. How many NFL cities can compare with the love of the Steelers by the fans? Almost none. Have you ever hung out downtown on a Steeler home Sunday? Even if you don't go to the game it is like no other NFL city. 90-some % of everyone walking around is in Steeler gear. The only other cities in the discussion are probably GB and KC. Maybe the Browns would if they ever fielded a contender, which brings us to....

C. Pgh is a contender virtually every season. Even at 8-8, it means you are in the playoff fight all season. Tell me the last time the Browns had a season where they were in contention all season. And not only are they at least 8-8. they often have seasons where they are legit contenders as far as winning a ring. (The last decade not as much but still, the point remains).

Now, with Cam, he has even more ties to the team and city than average. Of course he wants to stay, but will it take $18 million a year for that to happen, and are the Steelers thinking more of $15 mill a year? Over 3 years, we are looking at a $10 mill difference, if the above is the case.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bell didn’t make up reasons. He had a contract dispute.

While I often hear the atmosphere in Pittsburgh is different people will still move on from here if the money is right.

Thags the great thing about the family atmosphere. You can always come back after you retire and help out in the summer ... unless you are AB.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Bell didn’t make up reasons. He had a contract dispute.

While I often hear the atmosphere in Pittsburgh is different people will still move on from here if the money is right.

Thags the great thing about the family atmosphere. You can always come back after you retire and help out in the summer ... unless you are AB.
    Pretty much a given that you won't be the top money maker at your position if you play in Pittsburgh. But most players should know that before they even sign their first contract. Plan to go elsewhere if you want top dollar.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Pretty much a given that you won't be the top money maker at your position if you play in Pittsburgh. But most players should know that before they even sign their first contract. Plan to go elsewhere if you want top dollar.
    definitely. Unless you are drafted the best reason to come here is a winning formula, strong foundation and family culture.

If you want to get paid you are better off going somewhere else.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?