Thread: Quick thought Covid-2021 draft picks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quick thought Covid-2021 draft picks

With this damn pandemic, and how the college football season is almost certain not going forward, could it be a year to deal 2021 picks for young players or future picks (2022)?

Maybe Seattle thought this through, and rather than risk a 1st on an unknown player in 2021, they just threw it in the package for Adams.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

-I bet we'll be able to look back and say whether it would have been better to trade away picks or to gobble them up on the cheap. But I think it's hard to know before hand.

My guess is that the Steelers stand pat and don't take risk one way or another. But my guess is that the "true value" of mid round picks will be closer together than normal. So if I could trade a 3rd for 2 4ths or something, I'd be more willing to do it when the scouting probably won't provide as much insight.

Do some of the draftnicks have a feel about how rankings change from year to year?
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 07-29-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd do it most years if we could keep getting players like Minkah Fitzpatrick who have multiple rookie deal years left and have some NFL game tape to assess

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting thought.

I bet more players declare for the NFL early due to more financial stresses on players and their families. At the same time, there will be tons of unknowns and it'll be a crap shoot projecting who's career is on the upswing and who would have progressed from last year.

That said, I suspect there could be a lot more great picks later in the draft.

Teams will likely take more gambles on players with measurables and the hard working, heady, grinders are going to get overlooked big time. I don't know how you find them. But I'm sure teams like the Pats have someone writing some AI/ML doing analysis of freshman/sophmore/junior players to identify patterns that lead them into being stars at the NFL level. Heck, some teams have probably done this type of analysis, but it's going to become more important in the future.

Eventually, we'll get to the point where we should be able to look at the DNA of a baby and determine if his DNA makes him likely to succeed in the NFL. At some point, people will no longer draft. Machines will be much better at it. Now might be the crossover point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    With this damn pandemic, and how the college football season is almost certain not going forward, could it be a year to deal 2021 picks for young players or future picks (2022)?

Maybe Seattle thought this through, and rather than risk a 1st on an unknown player in 2021, they just threw it in the package for Adams.
    If you look at it like that, the Seahawks definitely went a safe route. Because with no college year, there will be a ton of guys missed on in the first round of the next draft as well as an unusually high number of gems found later on. The ripple effects of Covid are going to be felt for a long time. I like the thought of stock pilling some additional second and third round picks if possible.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I'd do it most years if we could keep getting players like Minkah Fitzpatrick who have multiple rookie deal years left and have some NFL game tape to assess
    Exactly. I will always take a known quantity over a draft pick.

It’s a no brainer. Of course people always think they will pick a gem in the draft but we never know how the cards will fall and a lot of picks miss.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Eventually, we'll get to the point where we should be able to look at the DNA of a baby and determine if his DNA makes him likely to succeed in the NFL. At some point, people will no longer draft. Machines will be much better at it. Now might be the crossover point.
    LOL. You really are looking at this from the perspective of someone a hundred years from now looking back!

I'm sure Bellichick already has people infiltrating Google's AI lab.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it certain that there will be no college football?

There's such a huge financial cost to cancelling the season... I wonder if they'll try to do something in the spring (although I guess that would conflict with basketball)
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I like the thought of stock pilling some additional second and third round picks if possible.
    when would anyone ever not like that thought?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If you look at it like that, the Seahawks definitely went a safe route. Because with no college year, there will be a ton of guys missed on in the first round of the next draft as well as an unusually high number of gems found later on. The ripple effects of Covid are going to be felt for a long time. I like the thought of stock pilling some additional second and third round picks if possible.

This part of it will be very interesting if there is no season. Think about last year - would Joe Burrow have been drafted without last season being played?