Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Pats say "peace out" on 2020 season

Legend

User Info Menu

If there's an advantage here, it's probably a combination of (I) tanking for a good draft pick and (Ii) carrying forward cap space to next year.

Since UFAs will probably mostly be at bargain prices next year, it seems like carrying forward cap space will probably allow for acquisition of a reasonable amount of talent at below normal market value.

We'll be in the opposite boat with no cap space and probably a need to cut guys.

If the cap drops, I think they should apply a reduction to all player salaries to not screw UFAs that happen to be UFAs in a pandemic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, I wonder are those contracts with gaurantees, still given along with the opt out pay?

Another thing, does that money roll into next years cap?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Yeah, I wonder are those contracts with gaurantees, still given along with the opt out pay?

Another thing, does that money roll into next years cap?
    I think any unused cap space from the current year rolls into the next year. I'm pretty sure that's happened to us when Bell didn't play under the tag.

I would guess that players that opt out only have their opt out salaries (I think it's something like $150k if in "low risk" and $300k if in "high risk"?) count against the cap. I wonder if their contracts toll or if they sacrifice a year of the deals to opt out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Everything has been so crazy and the Pats have been relatively quiet up to the Cam signing. If there is an advantage to gain, Bellichek had plenty of time to analyze things and find it. Remember how he found that time expiration loophole that he was using last year? Meaning he studied the rules meticulously to figure that out. That's the type of dedication he's shown in the past to find advantages/ ways to cheat.
    I agree. And if he's exploiting a pandemic for some advantage, the league should put a stop to it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Everything has been so crazy and the Pats have been relatively quiet up to the Cam signing. If there is an advantage to gain, Bellichek had plenty of time to analyze things and find it. Remember how he found that time expiration loophole that he was using last year? Meaning he studied the rules meticulously to figure that out. That's the type of dedication he's shown in the past to find advantages/ ways to cheat.
    Rich folks are getting richer during the pandemic. Poor folks are getting poorer and are going to have to work until they die to catch up if ever. So this makes sense that's the way it would be in the NFL too.