Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephon Tuitt not kneeling for anthem, doesn’t care what anybody thinks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    You always do. I’m starting to think that you and Feltdizz might be the same guy.
    Haha... you do not know the history of Steel Maniac and I.

We NEVER agreed on anything until this topic.

This is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    like most "movements" it's been hijacked
    someone sent me this clip. and it really makes me wonder about people and why they'd lash out at one another like this.

are people hurting? angry? something else?

i do think it's good to bring these topics to light because i'm guessing there's probably a lot of folks who are unaware of the struggles other face. and then many of those same people probably feel dumb for not noticing because things like this seem so blatant now. i'm of the frame of mind that the majority of people want for others the same good fortune in life that they want for themselves and their own families. and most people are kind, compassionate, and empathetic toward one another. but then i watch videos like this and it makes me wonder if everyone's a little crazy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    someone sent me this clip. and it really makes me wonder about people and why they'd lash out at one another like this.

are people hurting? angry? something else?

i do think it's good to bring these topics to light because i'm guessing there's probably a lot of folks who are unaware of the struggles other face. and then many of those same people probably feel dumb for not noticing because things like this seem so blatant now. i'm of the frame of mind that the majority of people want for others the same good fortune in life that they want for themselves and their own families. and most people are kind, compassionate, and empathetic toward one another. but then i watch videos like this and it makes me wonder if everyone's a little crazy.

”F Black Lives Matter and I have Black friends!!”

that one made me laugh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    FOOTBALL FANS might know one name but there is a large number of people who do not follow the NFL and wouldn't even know that one name.
    You make my point.

He has reached an audience of possibly hundreds of thousands BEYOND THE SCOPE OF FOOTBALL FANS because of the specific tactic he used, NC.

MORE PEOPLE KNOW THAT HE KNEELED THAN KNOW HE PLAYED IN A SUPERBOWL.

The prez using it politically which provided a platform where the topic was debated and explained outside of sports circles. Never happens if he did something more moderate.

Kapernick is not a Michael Jordan or Tom Brady.
    Outside of a dramatic act, nobody would care what he says.

You suggest the tactic failed? Despite the fact that this controversy stirred the discussion.

NC, please suggest, what specifically a backup QB could have done that would have had a greater impact?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-31-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is the bottom line.

At this point most people upset over kneeling, are upset because of what the flag means to THEM more than ignorance over why people kneel. You see it in every statement by an athlete who comments on it.

I don't know why people care to pressure people to kneel or stand.

Just understand people have different perspectives.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-31-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it's a mistake to assume that anyone who thinks these 'protests' and kneeling has no place in sports is opposed to the goal of this particular initiative. There are many who look to sports as a 3 hour respite from the news, politics, stress of work etc - and don't desire to have that forum used for any other purpose. This particular protest will run it's cycle - but what about the next one? What happens when those who support this initiative are possibly faced with a new social issue they oppose? What if the (for example) players start kneeling to oppose abortions in a few years? What if fans at NBA games agree that is the perfect place to hang 'free hong kong' banners and make statements against the CCP? I'm sure the NBA will be on board with that.

Personally, I think our police need more and better training - and there has to be more robust efforts to find and weed out those few who are on a power trip and abuse the office. The kneeling doesn't bother me in and of itself, but I seriously doubt this is the end of protests at sporting events. And at some point many may just decide it's no longer good family fun.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    There are many who look to sports as a 3 hour respite from the news, politics, stress of work etc - and don't desire to have that forum used for any other purpose.
    If that’s the case, why not complain that sports leagues accepted money to play the National Anthem before games in the first place.

The leagues made this a political issue first. But when an individual kneels and protests, he’s the problem.

It’s really no different than why some people like Fox News and others like CNN. We each accept what we can rationalize in our own minds.

This is fundamentally why some people prefer college sports or even high school sports. The NFLs $Bs in valuation pretty much guarantees this isn’t an innocent escape from life. The NFL has to get value out of their viewers. It’s as big a business as any.

to some degree, every diversion in this world is a lie on some level.

Fake News, Fake Sports, Fake everything.

It’s all a magic trick. And we’re better off if we can suspend disbelief and just think magic is real.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    it's a mistake to assume that anyone who thinks these 'protests' and kneeling has no place in sports is opposed to the goal of this particular initiative. There are many who look to sports as a 3 hour respite from the news, politics, stress of work etc - and don't desire to have that forum used for any other purpose. This particular protest will run it's cycle - but what about the next one? What happens when those who support this initiative are possibly faced with a new social issue they oppose? What if the (for example) players start kneeling to oppose abortions in a few years? What if fans at NBA games agree that is the perfect place to hang 'free hong kong' banners and make statements against the CCP? I'm sure the NBA will be on board with that.

Personally, I think our police need more and better training - and there has to be more robust efforts to find and weed out those few who are on a power trip and abuse the office. The kneeling doesn't bother me in and of itself, but I seriously doubt this is the end of protests at sporting events. And at some point many may just decide it's no longer good family fun.
    Agreed. Politicizing entertainment will end badly. As I said before, if I have to listen to commentary about this or that issue for an afternoon I will find other ways to enjoy the time.

What I also find sad is the vast majority of police that do their job and do it well are being left in the protest dust. It's become a thankless job for many, especially in cities that have leaders who are not supporting them as they should.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Should one take any job with the idea that should be constantly thanked for it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If that’s the case, why not complain that sports leagues accepted money to play the National Anthem before games in the first place.

The leagues made this a political issue first. But when an individual kneels and protests, he’s the problem.

It’s really no different than why some people like Fox News and others like CNN. We each accept what we can rationalize in our own minds.

This is fundamentally why some people prefer college sports or even high school sports. The NFLs $Bs in valuation pretty much guarantees this isn’t an innocent escape from life. The NFL has to get value out of their viewers. It’s as big a business as any.

to some degree, every diversion in this world is a lie on some level.

Fake News, Fake Sports, Fake everything.

It’s all a magic trick. And we’re better off if we can suspend disbelief and just think magic is real.
    bingo. Everyone is mad at the reaction while not even realizing the NFL took money to politicize the game by forcing the players out of the locker room.