Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephon Tuitt not kneeling for anthem, doesn’t care what anybody thinks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You can't confuse not supporting kneeling or not supporting the BLM organization as not supporting the cause.

Some people were brought up to believe that standing silently for the anthem represents the lives given by those who fought for the freedom of the country. Especially those who lost loved ones in war. You may or may not agree, but that is almost sacred to many. To those people, they don't accept kneeling for the anthem under any circumstances. It does not mean that they do not support the fight against police brutality or racial injustice.

Some people do not like the politics of the BLM organization. They may not believe in many of their stands outside of the core issues. That does not mean that they do not support the cause.

The same way that many people say that "if you think kneeling is disrespecting the flag then you don't understand the protest" it can also be said that "you can't determine a person's view on the cause simply based on his opinion of kneeling".
    Well put.

Also, some people may be confused about what the kneeling is about simply because of what's been said by the person who started it.

Kaepernick's original statement, August 2016 -- "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

From that statement, I can see why some people might think the kneeling is, at least in part, about disrespecting the flag.

Also, I don't think Kaepernick’s recent tweet about Independence Day (from July 2020) has helped: “Black ppl have been dehumanized, brutalized, criminalized + terrorized by America for centuries, & are expected to join your commemoration of ‘independence’, while you enslaved our ancestors. We reject your celebration of white supremacy & look forward to liberation for all."

So the guy who is known for starting the kneeling at the flag is claiming that a celebration of U.S. independence is a celebration of white supremacy ... I can see why some folks might think the kneeling is about something other than police brutality.

But I think more and more people DO understand that the kneeling IS about police brutality. A recent poll shows most people now support kneeling.
    Last edited by Buzz; 07-30-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You can't confuse not supporting kneeling or not supporting the BLM organization as not supporting the cause.

Some people were brought up to believe that standing silently for the anthem represents the lives given by those who fought for the freedom of the country. Especially those who lost loved ones in war. You may or may not agree, but that is almost sacred to many. To those people, they don't accept kneeling for the anthem under any circumstances. It does not mean that they do not support the fight against police brutality or racial injustice.

Some people do not like the politics of the BLM organization. They may not believe in many of their stands outside of the core issues. That does not mean that they do not support the cause.

The same way that many people say that "if you think kneeling is disrespecting the flag then you don't understand the protest" it can also be said that "you can't determine a person's view on the cause simply based on his opinion of kneeling".
    wow.. I specifically said one can’t claim to not understand why people are protesting.

I never said they had to support it.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    And that's why the kneeling is a failure. When you have a large part of the population not understanding what you are trying to communicate you have failed in the delivery.
    Why is it people spend more time debating how the message was delivered than they do the cause itself?
    Not true.
    I could care less whether one kneels or not...that said.

Ask 100 people to name five people fighting against police brutality...ONLY ONE NAME will get mentioned by nearly everybody.
    10s of thousands are demonstrating against police brutality.

Not a single one of them got a FRACTION of the attention to the subject as Colin has.

Kneeling always works.
    Only thing that brought more attention to police violence is a cop kneeling on someone’s neck until he dies while being filmed.

Admittedly, getting murdered on camera is THE ONE THING that accomplished more for the cause but it is kinda high bar to expect from an athlete.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-31-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

https://www.bulldogsjerseycap.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=9388&search=JFPS083

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Not true.

Ask 100 people to name five people fighting against police brutality...ONLY ONE NAME will get mentioned by nearly everybody.

Not a single one of them got a FRACTION of the attention to the subject as Colin has.

Kneeling always works.
    Only thing that brought more attention to police violence is a cop kneeling on someone’s neck until he dies while being filmed.

Admittedly, getting murdered on camera is THE ONE THING that accomplished more for the cause but it is kinda high bar to expect from an athlete.
    FOOTBALL FANS might know one name but there is a large number of people who do not follow the NFL and wouldn't even know that one name.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not true.

Kneeling always works.

Everyone knows the name Kaepernick and why he is kneeling.

those who think it’s a failure because people are making it about other things are definitely intentionally missing the point because they don’t want to have that discussion or they side with the police.

it’s messed up that a cop kneeling reinforced what Kap was protesting but sometimes that’s what it takes.

When people marched for civil rights during Jim Crow I’m sure some people said it was a dumb way to protest Jim Crow at the time.. but once TV images showed cops using hoses and dogs on us the public “got it”

Just sucks that you have to die or get abused for some people to finally say they “get it”

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    FOOTBALL FANS might know one name but there is a large number of people who do not follow the NFL and wouldn't even know that one name.
    Let me reword I said. I believe this is false.

The president injected himself into it for political gain. You would have to be completely unplugged from American news, live in a cave or ...deaf, dumb and blind to not know about it.

I’m sure some people don’t have a clue but it’s not that many.. and I wouldn’t trust anyone that detached from reality in this country right now.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-31-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Let me reword I said. I believe this is false.

The president injected himself into it for political gain. You would have to be completely unplugged from American news, live in a cave or ...deaf, dumb and blind to not know about it.

I’m sure some people don’t have a clue but it’s not that many.. and I wouldn’t trust anyone that detached from reality in this country right now.
    I agree. Even if they struggle to say his name, they know the person and what he did/started.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I agree.
    You always do. I’m starting to think that you and Feltdizz might be the same guy.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not true.

Kneeling always works.

It's funny...I think a lot of people are like me on this: I actually supported Kap during all his initial kneeling, as I understood what it was he was protesting. It never had anything to do with not supporting the troops or not honoring those who lost their lives in battle. It was ALWAYS about trying to get attention to a matter that needed exposed: the killing of mostly unarmed black men by cops. It is wrong. And dear God don't give me this crap about more white men being killed by cops than black men; blacks only make up 13% of the population, so of course more whites will get killed, but the #s - with all things considered - are way out of whack. Facts are that blacks were being killed in a disproportionate manner. Cops were literally getting away with murder. Nothing was being done about it. That is why I supported Kap.

But, like most "movements" it's been hijacked and being used as an excuse for things not deserving of operating in the same realm. Now with BLM, we are seeing buildings set on fire, statues being torn down, etc. all under the guise of injustice for black people. There are unsavory snakes in the mix, paid agent provocateurs providing violence and destruction that is hurting the true purpose for the movement. The original message is legit and moral. But so much of where we are is not. Anything George Soros funds is usually unsavory and dishonest. Paying people to bus them in and cause trouble/violence is serious bull s---t.