Thread: Haselrig Dead at 54

Legend

User Info Menu

Haselrig Dead at 54

Too young:

Former Steelers, Jets OL Carlton Haselrig Dies at Age 54

Tyler Conway

Bleacher ReportJuly 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

This is the NFL logo on a goalpost at Heniz Field during warmups before an NFL football game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals in Pittsburgh, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)More

Former Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets offensive lineman Carlton Haselrig died Wednesday after collapsing in his home.

He was 54.

Mark Pesto of the Tribune-Democrat reported Haselrig was pronounced dead at 9:19 a.m. ET after collapsing in his Johnstown, Pennsylvania, home earlier in the morning.

His wife, Michelle Haselrig, said in a statement:

"We are devastated by the loss of our husband, father, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin and friend. He was my companion, my best friend, my everything. He was funny, kind, humble and dedicated. We will never fully recover from such a great loss, but are blessed to have family and friends to lean on during this difficult time.

"Thank you to all of those who reached out. We know that Carlton had a major impact on the community and understand that his passing is bigger than just us. We ask for privacy and respect as we navigate through this difficult time."

A collegiate wrestler who won six NCAA Division II wrestling championships at Pitt-Johnstown, Haselrig caught on with the Steelers after being selected in the 12th round of the 1989 NFL draft despite having not played football since high school.

Drug and alcohol use contributed to his NFL career lasting just five seasons, four with the Steelers and one with the Jets. He emerged as a first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowl selection with the Steelers in 1992 but was out of the NFL by 1995.

In 2008, Haselrig made his MMA debut and fought professionally five times, compiling a 3-2 record before retiring.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

An amazing football player who, unfortunately, had a lot of demons to deal with. 54 is way too young. RIP

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow that seems too young. RIP

Anyone know the cause?

I remember thinking this guy was going to be the most dominant lineman we ever had. And as soon as I thought that, he was gone and I don't really remember why? I seem to remember he had some off field/personal issues.

It's no coincidence Barry Foster had the most Steelers' rushing yards in a season with Dirt and CH leading the way. CH was a bad dude.

I also remember him making a comeback to fight in MMA when he was in his 40s. If he would have went the MMA route early on, he probably would be a legend in that sport.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Anyone know the cause?
    Liver disease apparently.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Anyone know the cause?

I remember thinking this guy was going to be the most dominant lineman we ever had. And as soon as I thought that, he was gone and I don't really remember why? I seem to remember he had some off field/personal issues.

It's no coincidence Barry Foster had the most Steelers' rushing yards in a season with Dirt and CH leading the way. CH was a bad dude.

I also remember him making a comeback to fight in MMA when he was in his 40s. If he would have went the MMA route early on, he probably would be a legend in that sport.
    This guy didn't use to just "party."
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200410310241
    Last edited by whisper; 07-26-2020 at 04:43 PM.