Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AB retired for real?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yep... he's done everything.... disrepected a highly regarded franchise and owner, trashed a HOF QB, ripped on teammates who voted he wasn't the best on the team, disrepected a highly regarded HC.... quite the accomplishments in such a short career.
    Yea, in addition...who even cares. A hole across the board, but damn he was good. He was insanely good. But no talent can compensate for total a hole attitude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree that his off-field actions should not keep him out. He should be voted in or out based on football merit. I've always used the question "was he one of the best at what he did for an extended period of time?" and AB was easily a top 2 or 3 receiver for the last five years or so of his time in Pittsburgh. I can see the "no rings" argument (which I think is the most overrated argument when it comes to football, but I don't care for the "douchebag vs. good guy" argument.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Agree that his off-field actions should not keep him out. He should be voted in or out based on football merit. I've always used the question "was he one of the best at what he did for an extended period of time?" and AB was easily a top 2 or 3 receiver for the last five years or so of his time in Pittsburgh. I can see the "no rings" argument (which I think is the most overrated argument when it comes to football, but I don't care for the "douchebag vs. good guy" argument.
    Maybe he can ask Tom Brady to induct him.

He threw him that 1 TD and seemed to be an advocate.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    You know I'm no AB fan. I was critical of him LONG before it was cool. Never wanted to pay him his last deal right in the middle of his best seasons. All documented in the history here.
    And I like Ward MUCH MORE as a human being.

That said, I think Dizz is spot on.

Hall of fame is about elite play on the field. PERIOD.

Ward was not considered the NFLs best receiver for even a single day of his life.
    Brown was arguably the best receiver in the NFL of his era, for the better part of a decade.
    yup.. it may take a little more time but you canít stop one of the best WRís of his era because he got mad at his team and demanded a trade or 2.

Thatís not anything out of the ordinary for an NFL WR.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And just like that - he’s back in.

Yep, this is a guy a team should risk millions on.....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yup.. it may take a little more time but you can’t stop one of the best WR’s of his era because he got mad at his team and demanded a trade or 2.

That’s not anything out of the ordinary for an NFL WR.
    Hmmm, when you word it that way it was "not anything out of the ordinary." But we all know what he did WAS out of the ordinary. Do I even want to detail how?

1.) He didn't just have a squabble with his team, the Steelers. He QUIT on them when they were still fighting for the playoffs. QUIT. I'd say THAT's out of the ordinary. He was under contract. He wasn't holding out. Nothing outlandish was done to him. He basically threw a fit because the team voted JuJu as MVP. He didn't get hurt. He simply just went AWOL when his team was fighting to make the playoffs.

2. After he threw such a fit, he became inconsolable. Mr. Art Rooney himself met with him, and it didn't matter.

3. He forced a trade, one which we got peanuts for, because of his freak outs.

4. He shows up at his new team, and fries his feet in a cryo chamber. (Probably the least egregious of his acts at the time.)

5. He throws a fit over his helmet; his helmet wasn't approved by the NFL's safety standards and he refused to play.

6. He shows up in New England and last about a week before more dirt shows up - not only accused of sexual assault, BUT also threatens a woman on social media for speaking out.

7. Assaults a mover and rips him off.

8. Throws furniture off an 18 story condo, that came crashing down near a baby that was poolside. He could have easily killed that infant.

So 3 days ago he said he was retired, but yesterday (1 day ago) he now wants to play again. That's no crime, but it just shows he's not done being a total idiot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ion-play-again

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Hmmm, when you word it that way it was "not anything out of the ordinary." But we all know what he did WAS out of the ordinary. Do I even want to detail how?

1.) He didn't just have a squabble with his team, the Steelers. He QUIT on them when they were still fighting for the playoffs. QUIT. I'd say THAT's out of the ordinary. He was under contract. He wasn't holding out. Nothing outlandish was done to him. He basically threw a fit because the team voted JuJu as MVP. He didn't get hurt. He simply just went AWOL when his team was fighting to make the playoffs.

2. After he threw such a fit, he became inconsolable. Mr. Art Rooney himself met with him, and it didn't matter.

3. He forced a trade, one which we got peanuts for, because of his freak outs.

4. He shows up at his new team, and fries his feet in a cryo chamber. (Probably the least egregious of his acts at the time.)

5. He throws a fit over his helmet; his helmet wasn't approved by the NFL's safety standards and he refused to play.

6. He shows up in New England and last about a week before more dirt shows up - not only accused of sexual assault, BUT also threatens a woman on social media for speaking out.

7. Assaults a mover and rips him off.

8. Throws furniture off an 18 story condo, that came crashing down near a baby that was poolside. He could have easily killed that infant.

So 3 days ago he said he was retired, but yesterday (1 day ago) he now wants to play again. That's no crime, but it just shows he's not done being a total idiot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ion-play-again
    If they had a Hall of Fame for douchery, divaness and all-around erratic and insane behavior, AB would be a first-ballot lock.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If they had a Hall of Fame for douchery, divaness and all-around erratic and insane behavior, AB would be a first-ballot lock.
    I'd say beyond that. He'd be the GOAT under that criteria. He makes TO - at his worst - seem like a reasonable, logical, even-keeled dude. AB took it to a whole new level. I think AB is literally insane.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Pete Rose would agree.

You are missing the point that this is an honor bestowed on a player, not a required award.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 07-25-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You forgot him calling his GM a Cracker