Thread: After the starting 4, who are our best DBs?

Starter

User Info Menu

After the starting 4, who are our best DBs?

OK, Nelson, Haden, Fitz and Edmunds start, and then who is our best after that?

Hilton listed as top nickleback. Sutton listed as top NB back up.

Layne listed as top backup at LCB. Alex Myers listed as top backup for RCB...who?

Marcus Allen, top FS backup. Dangerfield top SS backup. Hmmm, depth at S is really thin.

Do you see any of this changing by week 1? We do have that rookie S.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pretty thin when it comes to DB reserves. And with the league's proposed policy of 3 weeks out if you test positive for covid, depth could be more important than ever.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Pretty thin when it comes to DB reserves. And with the league's proposed policy of 3 weeks out if you test positive for covid, depth could be more important than ever.
    I'm not ever sure if Layne or Sutton are any good. I sure hope they are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hilton is my favorite.

I like Suttonís potential covering the slot.

I like Layneís length and athleticism and am most excited to see how he can develop for the long term.

I think this unit overall can improve with Fitz having a year in. And even Bush having a year at ILB will impact our coverage overall.

Then if we can up the pass rush, itís lights out with this D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Layne's athleticism has interesting potential but then I look at the Steelers history on defensive back picks and I suddenly become sad.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Layne's athleticism has interesting potential but then I look at the Steelers history on defensive back picks and I suddenly become sad.
    Did anyone keep an eye on Layne to see how (if) he developed last year? Reading his predraft reviews, he seemed like he was very lacking, with the lone exception being his length. I was mildly surprised to read all of his weaknesses as I thought it was said he was a 1st round talent. Sure doesn't seem like it.

- not fast, gets burned by guys with real speed.
    - not a good tackler, weak.
    - stiff, not fluid.
    - can't play man-to-man worth a damn.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-layne

I don't recall seeing him on many plays or how he looked out there. Did any of you?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Hilton is my favorite.

I like Sutton’s potential covering the slot.

I like Layne’s length and athleticism and am most excited to see how he can develop for the long term.

I think this unit overall can improve with Fitz having a year in. And even Bush having a year at ILB will impact our coverage overall.

Then if we can up the pass rush, it’s lights out with this D.
    Didn't they lead the NFL in sacks?